Missing my girl friends

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Default Missing my girl friends

Moved here a year ago and just can't seem to click with anyone. We moved into an established neighborhood and those that are not snow birds keep to themselves. Only two on our street have been friendly.

Don't really expect any answers, just wondering if I am the only one who misses their friends back home. Miss having someone just pop open the door with a yoo-hoo! and having girl time.

I am not shy and have joined in a few groups, just seems most have their friend plate full.

Whew! I feel better already.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyRR View Post
Moved here a year ago and just can't seem to click with anyone. We moved into an established neighborhood and those that are not snow birds keep to themselves. Only two on our street have been friendly.

Don't really expect any answers, just wondering if I am the only one who misses their friends back home. Miss having someone just pop open the door with a yoo-hoo! and having girl time.

I am not shy and have joined in a few groups, just seems most have their friend plate full.

I truly understand. I miss that too. And someone that has known you for so long you don't have to explain yourself to them and you don't have to be careful what you say.

You can yoohoo at my door anytime.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

I'm sorry you're having a slow start. Where do you live?

Our street is pretty quiet too. I connected right away with my next-door neighbor, but she is a snow bird, so only have her around for half the year. Everyone else is very quiet--and it's a new neighborhood!

I think it takes luck and a long time to develop the pop-in-the-door kind of friendships. Keep at it! Good luck to you. I miss my friends in MI too, but most of them have retired and moved.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Keep trying! We met a nice couple in yoga. We've hosted numerous dinner parties. Play golf with a couple who are in their 80's - we are in our 50's.

Have you've gone to the squares and just ask folks how they found TV. Folks love talking bout how they moved here.

Oh did I say.....keep trying and joining in things that you are interested in. Do you have a church home?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to chalpm

MartyRR, I totally understand how you feel....I moved here less than a year ago and still miss my friends and the life I gave up. I have made some friends but like Gracie said it's hard to replace those you've known for 20+ years in such a short time. If you'd like to talk over a cup of tea send a private message and we can set something up.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,939 Times in 794 Posts

And I will be your friend as soon as the PTs fix my back!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 PM

You all are making me feel better already. I too have a snowbird neighbor that I really like, but she is here only a few weeks a year. But when she is...
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Sounds like a plan.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

MartyRR - Have you tried throwing a driveway party for the neighbors? We did it when we moved in and it got some of the real homebodies out of their houses. Wound up that we were not the only folks who did not know others on their own street! We provided beer, wine [in the box!], ice, red solo cups, chips and pretzels. When someone asked what they could bring we suggested a chair and anything else they might like! We also invited the 3 neighbors to the rear of our house just so they didn't hafta wonder what they were missing!

Just pick a date, make up a cute flyer introducing yourself and hand them out door to door - easy peasy! I found the toughest part was getting up the courage to do it! Once done - there was no turning back and it was a nice event.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:54 PM

What a great idea! Think I will do just that. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Sage

I miss all my girlfriends back home, also.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyRR View Post

I understand all to well. I believe I live on the most unfriendly street in TV. Neighbors don't wave, don't say hello or even look in my direction. I find this very odd and it is a huge disappointment.

Yes, I miss my girlfriends terribly. I was fortunate to be able to meet some TOTV members that I liked very much. We get together for lunch/dinner and it helped having a friend to talk with.

A few people on this post offered to be a friend to you and get together. I highly suggest you do it and you will not regret it. They are great people and there is potential for friendships to be made.

If you like pm me and we can have lunch. I've always said a woman could never have too many diamonds or friends.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 AM

I have made some wonderful friends here. They don't replace my 30 + year friends of course but there is still time. It is difficult if you live where there are lots of snowbirds or rentals especially.

I'll present a challenge to you. Every day get up, look at the rec news and approach the day with trying something new. Go to things early and strike up a conversation. Ask for help or ask what the activity is about. Try line dancing, yoga, water aerobics, shuffleboard lessons, mah jong lessons and so on. Call the person listed in the paper to find out how early you need to get there to ensure a spot or take a lesson. Try some crafty stuff like stamping, visit a quilt group, one stroke painting, again calling to see what the membership parameters are. Attend a meeting of one of the big social clubs to see what they are about. Like your state club, parrot heads, baby boomers, again calling to see the guest policy and if there is a waiting list. Also, look at all the groups who work hard to make a difference in other peoples lives. I am thinking honor flight, operation shoebox, habitat for humanity, guardian ad litum and again parrot heads to name a few.

I bet you will find a few activities that really hit home with you, and meet some nice people you want to pursue a friendship with along the way. One of the groups I am in I enjoy, but people have been together for 7+ years and have long established relationships so that has been hard. On the other hand I met some nice gals at Mah Jong lessons and we agreed to meet the following week and have played ever since. One of them and I have a lot in common and have met outside the activity and I feel a friendship forming. I have made several very good friends at yoga and water aerobics. The funniest thing is I keep seeing the same people at multiple activities.

There are so many people out there who want to keep an active mind and body, be creative and do good for others. These are the best years of our lives. We have beautiful wether, are surrounded by a beautiful community and wonderful people. Avoid the few grumps and have fun.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Location: Polo Ridge TV via New Hampshire, Isles of Shoals, Maryland and Massachusetts

You're not alone! Been here 7 months and still working on it - feels like a lot of work some days. As the wise Gracie said, it's hard to duplicate those long-term friendships - the ones who know the real you and still love you. ;-)
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think I need to get a bunch together. As soon as I clear up some minor health issues, I will do that.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.