Missing my girl friends

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebstuart View Post
I have made some wonderful friends here. They don't replace my 30 + year friends of course but there is still time.

New friends can never replace old friends from 30 years ago since they haven't shared that history with you. It may include other friends, spouses, children, grandchildren, workplaces, etc. New friends can only start from now and at our age the history we share with old friends is long ago and can't be appreciated by new friends.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
I am quite disappointed to read that it can be difficult to make friends in TV.
I haven't found it difficult at all. After reading all the hype of TV I had the impression that when I first moved in that the whole neighborhood would come over and give me a big welcome when they saw the moving truck, but nope, not a one. My neighbors are friendly but keep to themselves.
All my friends have come from people I've met at the neighborhood pool or several clubs I've joined.
You have to get out and join activities to meet people with similiar interests, they won't come knocking on your door.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 PM

I guess we got the friendly neighbors. When we moved in, everyone on our street was expecting us and knew our names. They came over armed with brownies, cookies, chocolates and invitations to play cards and sit and visit. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM

I can't fully express my sadness at hearing that so many people are lonely. My husband and I have moved so many times that we no longer have close friends. Add a 60-hour work week and it becomes worse. I was hoping to change that when I came to TV, although we don't want to live near Brownwood--which means a new neighborhood. Life is what you make it, however, so I will try very hard to make up for all the years I lost, and if anyone wants a friend, I am more than willing to be there for you. And I would love for someone to just drop in. I haven't had that experience since I was in my 20's.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
That said, our neighborhood isn't typical in where "everyone" is social together.
I think your neighborhood is more typical than you think. A lot of neighbors are somewhat shy and "keep to themselves". But they are friendly if you make the first move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I haven't found it difficult at all. After reading all the hype of TV I had the impression that when I first moved in that the whole neighborhood would come over and give me a big welcome when they saw the moving truck, but nope, not a one. My neighbors are friendly but keep to themselves.
All my friends have come from people I've met at the neighborhood pool or several clubs I've joined.
You have to get out and join activities to meet people with similiar interests, they won't come knocking on your door.
I agree that it does take a little effort to meet new friends. And you won't become BFFs with everyone you meet.
As Shimpy said, they won't come knocking on your door (usually).
But if you are open and welcoming, soon you will have many wonderful new friends.
It's nice to bond with people who are the same age and experiencing the same challenges and joys as you are.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

There is a Girl Scout song that always rang true to me:

Make new friends but keep the old
One is silver and the other gold
Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage

It's kind of odd. Recently our neighborhood changed drastically. We have had two new neighbors move in. When the first one moved in my husband and I had a welcome cocktail party for them, inviting all of our neighbors in our cul de sac. It was fun getting everyone together. Since that time, no one has initiated any other contact. We thought that if we gave our neighbors a warm welcome, then we may get the cul de sac to do more together. It's not the case and we are did disappointed.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

We started several driveway parties. Used to watch the rockets go up from Kennedy center...straight view from the street. But, if I don't start it up, no one else does. My best friend is moving in 2 months to California and I'm going to miss her so much. She can always get me to laughing when the world seems to close in.

Maybe we need a TOTV coffee break at Crispers...just us girls?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Smile Tamarind Grove is very friendly

Come join us on a Friday at Sterling Heights for a friendly game of Bunco at 9:30. We will introduce you to some of the friendliest people in the Villages. Private message me for more info. We are so busy that I have had to learn to say NO! It does take a while to find those special friends but we are here waiting to get to know you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.