Pricey Haircut

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Default Pricey Haircut

I have only lived in TV for one month. I had my hair done at Dimensions in Colony a few days ago. I asked the price in advance and they said it varies. Anyway I have curly hair and asked for a trim, it came out short. I asked for it to be colored dark blond, it came out medium brown. I did not ask for or receive a blow dry. A product was pushed on me so strongly I caved and bought it, even though I don't use products.

The bill for this was $200. I was pretty shocked but didn't say anything. Back in New Jersey it would have been half the price and I would have liked my cut and color.

PS I tried to return the unopened product the next day and they refused.

Is there anything I could have done regarding the price? I can live with the cut and color til next time at another salon.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Dancing Thyme

First of all, Welcome to the Villages!!!

Sorry to hear about your unhappy experience with you hair styling. If you do a search on this forum for Dimensions Salon, you will find many threads about them and how their pricing is very high and varies according to who is doing the work.

You will also find numerous suggestions about other hairdressers that are very good and less expensive. I would suggest checking this forum before using a service to see the comments made about them. One thing very good about this forum, its a great resource when you are new here. This also pertains to contractors as well.

Good luck and again welcome!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Gold member

I am ultra frugal.......so I would of never sat in the chair for a unknown price......

that being said.....I went to Walmart on 27 in The villages and met a fine young man named Jessie? I think?, I have his card somewhere. If I remember correctly he moved here from Maine. Blondish hair.

I also have curly hair and he cut it absolutly perfect. I didn't get it washed so it was spray bottle wet and I think that helps with hair like mine, ultra thin and tends to appears longer but in realty when cut the curls shorten and 70% of the time gets cut way too short.

I know...Walmart?.....right....... but he was very professional and listened to everything I said, and I will go back to him. Cut and tip $20

PS.. I went to the new walmart 6 months ago on 466 and had another young man, name I can't remember? and he was horrible, didn't even give him the opportunity to cut my hair, When he went back to get the cape, I actually walked out......I told the hairdresser beside him to Tell him I changed my mind. He was mean, told me he didn't understand how I wanted it cut, and was either having a bad day or just plain a jerk. I have never left like that before but I was truely afraid of him....Not a good feeling.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

I go to Salon St.T in Summerfield on 441/27 Cut, color, shampoo and style $68 great cut and color! WalMart can be hit or miss so it's good to know of someone good there! I have several friends who have gone and had great cuts and color at very reasonable prices but you have to know who you're going so thanks for providing a name! Hope he stays there but I have found the good ones eventually move on.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Sorry you had a bad experience. Many of us have done the same thing. I went to Salon Jaylee by Target which is operated the same as the Dimensions. Spent 3.5 hours to get a cut color and blow dry. Was left waiting while the stylist did his mother's hair in between mine and was charged 200! Try Color Me on Wedgewood Lane. Color cut blow dry and style is 95. 352-750-0057
Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Default Haircut

After the haircut from hell in Walmart, I got an appointment in Bella's Hair Salon in Bichara Blvd, near Belk. A delightful lady called Rose cut my hair, everything as I asked and it came out perfect, made my next appointment and will keep going there. The cost was $24 but as I was paying $20 in Winter Haven, I find that not unreasonable, especially as it turned out great!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:54 PM

I am thinking about getting my medium hair length cut due to the fact that my hair has taken on different difficult changes since moving here. It used to me smooth with some wave, but now it is curly and frizzy. It looks severely damaged. Someone said it could be my water. Any ideas?? Do I have a chance to save my medium cut??
Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaclynC View Post
I am thinking about getting my medium hair length cut due to the fact that my hair has taken on different difficult changes since moving here. It used to me smooth with some wave, but now it is curly and frizzy. It looks severely damaged. Someone said it could be my water. Any ideas?? Do I have a chance to save my medium cut??
This is just my personal experience; others may have a different one. My hair turned to straw when we moved here, until we got a water softener. I wish we had gotten a water filtration system too. If I leave water in a glass by my bedside table for a few days, it films the inside of the glass, even with the softener.

Even so, with the humidity down here in the summer, I use a small amount of wax finishing product to keep the frizz down.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Sage

Yes, hard water is very bad for your hair. Skin too.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Veteran member

Water filtration is the way to go. I had the same problem with my hair, also. Back to cuts...I have curly and frizzy hair and go to Bella's on Bichara. Jimanne does my hair and does a great cut. My husband goes to her, also. Can't say about their color pricing, as I let my hair go "au natural" shortly after I moved here. I used to go to Dimensions, too, and decided it was too expensive for my NYC blood!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Think that if you live in Florida, you have "florida hair" and it is to do with the climate I have been told, curly, frizzy is the norm, lol!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Thanks. By all the responses, I guess my next action is to go to a water filter thread.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Say it isn't so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine G View Post
Think that if you live in Florida, you have "florida hair" and it is to do with the climate I have been told, curly, frizzy is the norm, lol!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:46 PM

I go to Salon Chioma and Michael the owner is my stylist. He is fantastic with cuts, color and highlights. Always get compliments on my hair style and color
Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I've been (mostly) in Florida since 1983. Forget about a water softener or water filtration unit for frizzy hair. Don't waste your money if that is the reason you want one or think you need one. No system will help. Frizzy is as frizzy does. Some products will help slightly, but there is no cure. . . . oh, yes there is one cure . . . when you die you won't have to worry about it!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.