Quest for Dress

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts
Default Quest for Dress

I have been reading the swimsuit thread. Same here.

And in that thread, I read about Brightspot's quest for the dress to wear to a wedding. Same here.

A wedding in September and I have to be the most glamorous aunt on the premises. Right.

So Brightspot, what you said in your post is exactly what I, too, am so tired of running into. That sleazy, cheesy, slick fabric and not a sleeve in sight.

I am so happy to hear that you finally found something. Those sales at Macy's can be pretty amazing if you hit them just right.

I really hate to shop. I know. It's weird. But I really hate it. When we had a Parisian store here and I could go in there and someone would run around to different departments and pick it all out for me, I could almost stand to do it. Not so overwhelming and frustrating. But Parisian is no more. I have made a new best friend at Coldwater Creek though. I call to make sure she is working and she has stuff ready for me when I show up. She's great. But the last time I looked at dresses there, they were all pretty froo-froo. Flowery frocks. Not for me.

OK. Boomer is not a princess. Boomer just views shopping like she is on a mission.

Anyway, to make matters worse for this particular quest for the dress, I already have it pictured in my head.Big mistake. I know. But anyway, I want a wrap dress. You know. V-neckline, wrapped with a tie belt. Fabric with some body to it. Fabric that moves but does not cling. And I want sleeves. I guess I am talking ala that classic Diane Von Furstenberg thing. A knockoff, of course. But a classic, classy basic dress. You know. The kind with which you can wear allllll your jewelry.

Has anybody seen anything like this anywhere?

Or do I have to find the real thing at a Goodwill Store in a classy neighborhood or maybe break into a museum?

Are the classic wrap dresses still out there?

And Bright, I am so encouraged to know that your mission was accomplished. It sounds like we share some of the same attitude about dresses. Maybe there is hope for me.

Oh, and when I'm getting all gussied up, Spanx rulz.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-16-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: The Quest for the Dress

We still have a Parisian store near us in Livonia, MI. Maybe 10 miles away. Maybe you could check their website to see if there are anymore near you or if they would ship. Have you tried Dress Barn? They seem to be residing in most of the outlet malls around here, but sometimes you can find a store in a regular strip mall. Wrap dresses are one of the simplest designs to sew, and with the variety of fabrics that are available you should be able to make something exactly like you want. If you can't sew, there are plenty of seamstresses that could make a wrap dress. Price shouldn't be more than you would pay in a store, and you get exactly what you want. You can get a coupon for JoAnn fabrics almost all the time for 40% off an item or single cut of fabric. I can send you one on e-mail if you want, just let me know.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Soaring Parsley

ss,

Thank you. And I will be in Canton sometime this summer which I think is close to Livonia. Do you believe that. It is a small world indeed. Hey, is it still blueberry time up there in Michigan or did I miss it?

I think we may have a Dress Barn around here somewhere. I am going to check that, too.

And I even know a seamstress. I had not thought about that. I once had a skirt that I really liked, and I had her use it for a pattern and make a couple more in different fabrics. I have not done anything like that for awhile. (Retirement has different wardrobe requirements.)

Now, if I can just not procrastinate about this.

So thank you. I open TOTV like I used to open the morning paper. But this is better. The morning paper never answered any questions.

Boomer
Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Boomer,

We live in Plymouth which is the next suburb north of Canton. Do you have family up here? The Parisian store is in Laurel Park Mall, which is just east of I275 on 6 Mile Rd. in Livonia. They also have a Cold Water Creek in that mall. There is a JoAnn fabrics superstore in Canton on the north side of Ford Rd. just east of Canton Center Rd. They have a great selection of fabrics. I'm always in that store, it's my favorite. I will go through JoAnn fabrics withdrawl when I move to TV. The closest superstore is in Orlando. We will have to try to convince them to open a store in TV by flooding their inbox with requests.

We are heading up north this weekend for the end of the Cherry Festival. Will probably go out and pick a lug of cherries to bring home with us. My sister lives in Holland, and they have the blueberries over there. I don't really know if the season is over or not. Raspberries should be in season. I need to remember to get out there and pick some, I always forget and then I'm sorry. I love raspberries.

I am getting addicted to TOTV too. I'm having so much fun, and I can't wait to get down there to meet everyone. Good luck on your quest!

SS
Old 07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Both Saks and Needless Markup (Neiman Marcus) sell DVF dresses. Also, here's her website -- she even still designs a wrap dress. http://www.dvf.com/dvf/browse/subcat...goryId=DRESSES

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Boomer

If you come to Michigan mid to late August it would be fun for you, schuler, and me to meet up for lunch or dinner. I moved to the Brighton area from Canton years ago.

Thanks for the heads up about Parisian. I had never heard of the store and will definitely check it out, along with Coldwater Creek, when I return home in August.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Platinum member

Boomer, Bright, and all... I get email sale ads every week from Coldwater Creek. You can sign up at their website: http://www.coldwatercreek.com/default.aspx
Of course, sometimes there's a REASON the items are on sale.

I have the same problem... There are no nice dresses out there for anybody older than 30. Everything I like is sleeveless, but I sure don't want my upper arms flapping the the breeze. :: A nice jacket covers up my wings, and CC does have some great dressy jackets.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Eternal Member

I went through the same thing last November when my son was married.
I went to every store in TV - nothing suitable.

I finally found the "perfect" (Long jacket) dress at Dillard's in Ocala. There are also some wonderful boutiques in Ocala.
Good luck!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Soaring Parsley

This is wonderful. It is so great to be able to have this little girl talk thing going on. And here we are, all in this thing together. We understand perfectly the quest for the dress and how it is so much more difficult than when we were back hunting for those prom dresses.

In those days, we all looked great in everything. Got my dress. Got my long gloves. Got my dyed to match shoes. Got my crystal jewelry. Started teasing and spraying my hair immediately after breakfast on the day of the prom. The boyfriend showed up with the wrist corsage and his daddy's great big car with the great big gas tank that he had filled for a quarter a gallon. (Hey, quit doing math in your head. You know that Mark Twain supposedly said, "If the world is coming to an end, you should go to Cincinnati because everything there happens 20 years later." So see, I'm not thaaaat old.)

Wow! What happened? :dontknow:

Oh well, as some of you know, I digress.

Anyway, back to the current quest. All of this dress advice has been so excellent. And RW, I love that "needless markup" remark. That's sure the truth.

I am starting to think about that jacket idea. Over a classic straight sheath. To the knee. Some great shoes that will make my feet hurt so bad that I will have to pop Advil all day the next day. But you all know, I just won't care. Could not wear such shoes every day. Who am I kidding? It has to be a rare and special event. Like maybe every February 29th. But the shorter dress and the gorgeous jacket just scream for great shoes.

Anyway, thanks again. And thanks for the kind Michigan invite. Maybe someday. But it will be a quick turnaround in July it looks like this time. Maybe we will first meet in TV.

And someday I will tell you all how I made a fool of myself, in Michigan, over those glorious Michigan blueberries. A total fool. It's what I do.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-16-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Gold member

I have empathy for you since I went through the same thing for my sons wedding. I looked all over Ark, on line and even checked out stores when I went back to Michigan. I am short so that was another problems. Finally we went over to Memphis to David's Bridal. I always looks for something that has a jacket so if I get cold I can put it on. Wedding was in October in Michigan. I tried on five dresses and the last dress fit perfectly, not my favorite color but hubby loved it. The price said $250.00 marked down to $59, and when I checked out it was $29.00. We decided for that price if I found another dress before wedding I wouldn't be out much money. Just have patience and keep looking something will show up.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
This is wonderful. It is so great to be able to have this little girl talk thing going on. And here we are, all in this thing together. We understand perfectly the quest for the dress

I am starting to think about that whole jacket idea. Over a classic straight sheath. To the knee. Some great shoes that will make my feet hurt so bad that I will have to pop Advil all day the next day. But you all know, I just won't care. Could not wear such shoes every day. Who am I kidding? It has to be a rare and special event. Like maybe every February 29th. But the shorter dress and the gorgeous jacket just scream for great shoes.

And someday I will tell you all how I made a fool of myself, in Michigan, over those glorious Michigan blueberries. A total fool. It's what I do.
I love all you TOTV folks! :-*
Yes, it IS great that we're all in this together! Especially the part about making fools of ourselves... I made a total fool of myself, but it was over fancy shoes, not blueberries: We were invited to the Governor's Ball, so I had the gorgeous dress (this was back in the day) and the "rare and special event" shoes. We were at a table with the high muckety mucks from Mr. Judy's work. I was playing company wife. During dinner the shoes were killing me, so I slipped them off under the table. Nobody would notice, I thought. Nice long tablecloths to hide the tootsies, loooong yada yada governor's speech...

Needless to say, by the time the band started playing my feet had swollen up so much I couldn't get the shoes back on! We sat out all the dances waiting for everybody to leave so I could leave without wearing my shoes! I had one of those tiny sparkly purses, so I couldn't hide them inside. I would have to either A) carry the shoes, or B) abandon them under the table. B was not an option. By the end of the evening it was just us and the busboys, but people from the company were still milling about near the entrance. Boomer, let this be a warning to you. No matter how much the fancy shoes hurt, leave them on. I can't stress this enough. Better to swell up inside the shoes than outside the shoes. Oh I have made a total fool of myself so many times.... And I'm so glad to know we have so much in common! :bigthumbsup:
Now I want to hear all about the blueberries!
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Soaring Parsley

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!

uu, you must be my long lost twin.

Good company wife.

I have played that game.

Open mouth. Insert coat hanger. Smile and nod. Carry one drink all night. Sip it.

Try to look impressed while big-deal boss tells you all about his Mensa membership.

Look fascinated while big-deal boss tells you that Venusians live among us. And he thinks he knows who they are.

Look even more intrigued while big-deal boss tells you all about his past lives. How he thinks he may have been Cleopatra.

Chew inside of cheek raw while trying not to laugh and snort and spit your one drink through your nose and all over big-deal boss.

Oh, uu. Been there. Done that.

Boomer

Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!

uu, you must be my long lost twin.

Good company wife.
I have played that game.
Open mouth. Insert coat hanger. Smile and nod. Carry one drink all night. Sip it.
Try to look impressed while big-deal boss tells you all about his Mensa membership. ...

Chew inside of cheek raw while trying not to laugh and snort and spit your one drink through your nose and all over big-deal boss.
Oh, uu. Been there. Done that.
YES! EXACTLY! Maybe we were separated at birth? And aren't we so glad it's all finished? No more playing company wife! Now I can make a total fool of myself without disastrous consequences! Yay! 040
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Et moi aussi!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy
YES! EXACTLY! Maybe we were separated at birth? And aren't we so glad it's all finished? No more playing company wife! Now I can make a total fool of myself without disastrous consequences! Yay! 040
uu, u r so right. The consequences are not quite as dire. That's a good thing because I cannot stop making a fool of myself so it seems. And the made a fool of myself over Michigan blueberries thing had to do with jumping into a car with a strange man. At least he was not anybody's boss. I was on one of my missions. Those missions often get me into trouble.

And gg, I think I know what you said. Some things just never can get lost in the translation.

Hey, the dress thread just turned into a "good little company wife" thread. Gotta love it here.

And now, I had better quit this place and go back to work for awhile.

Boomer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.