Quest for Dress

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: The Quest for the Dress

To add to the good corporate wife story, here's mine. I wasn't a wife, just a date but the guy and I were pretty serious until the office Christmas party. Big boss was a complete and total jerk. Did the smiley stuff, greeted some that I knew there. Nibbled the so-so appetizers. So, big boss comes over in his tux. Asks me who is on his cumberbund. I look at it and say it is Kermit. Big boss decides to show his employees how dumb they are -- "See, this little lady knows Kermie. What's wrong with you people?" I couldn't stop myself, I truly couldn't, "It would probably help if you didn't wear it upsidedown." BB's secretary literally spit her drink and, yes, the cumberbund was upsidedown. And that was the last date I had with that guy.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
ss,

I think we may have a Dress Barn around here somewhere. I am going to check that, too.
Speaking of Dress Barn... I didn't know they gave discounts one day a week!
Look what I found in my email today: http://www.seniordiscounts.com/Featu...Dressbarn.aspx

Dressbarn
Toll Free: (800) 373-7722
Business Description: Off-price women's apparel stores offering career fashions such as sportswear, dresses, suits, blazers and accessories to working women.

Discount: Most Dressbarn locations provide a discount. The amount of the discount given, age requirement and participation varies with each store location. Most stores typically offer a 10% discount one day a week. The most common discount days are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Age Requirement: 55+
Discount Restrictions: Contact your local Dressbarn for specific discount information.
E-mail: customerservice@dressbarn.com

Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Dress Barn is coming -- shopping center where Bed, Bath & Beyond is. I can't wait!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Dress Barn is coming -- shopping center where Bed, Bath & Beyond is. I can't wait!
I keep hearing here about Dress Barn being good. I have never tried it. I am going to check to see if there is one around here. I think there used to be.

I have always thought that store was given a most unfortunate name. "Dress Barn" What kind of marketing ploy was that? But I guess it worked because they have been in business for quite awhile I think. Would a Dress Barn by any other name have done as well? Or better? I guess some things we will just never know.

Boomer

Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 AM

Someone mentioned Goodwill. Years ago, I needed a dress for a company Christmas party. I looked everywhere at everything and was going nuts. Finally, in desparation, I went into the local Goodwill store. Found two dresses that I loved!!!!! One became one of my favorite dresses.

For my daughter's wedding, I was having an awful time finding just the right dress. I finally went (on my lunch hour from work) to a local, small-town store. Got an absolutely beautiful dress for a great price, and it met my daughter's "approval."

Good luck with your quest.
New Jersey
Old 07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Boomer,

Just thought I would bump this thread to find out if you ever found your dress? Did you get up here to Michigan and check out the Parisian in Livonia? By the way, they are selling Michigan blueberries at Kroger now and they are wonderful.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1
Boomer,

Just thought I would bump this thread to find out if you ever found your dress? Did you get up here to Michigan and check out the Parisian in Livonia? By the way, they are selling Michigan blueberries at Kroger now and they are wonderful.
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!

ss,

Thank you for asking. You kind Midwestern soul you. I did not see this post until just now. I was looking for the thread. So I could report in on "The Quest for the Dress" because just within the past 10 minutes the whole thing got all cranked up. I am talking cranked. So cranked. Just like those skyscraper Pioneer speakers used to crank. You know the speakers. The ones that Mr. Boomer brought back from Okinawa. He had those giant speakers and a Seiko watch. When I saw those speakers, the first time to his apartment, with those speakers and that watch. Oh my, ss, honest to goodness! I thought he was rich! But I digress. Here is what just happened.

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!

The phone rang. At the other end was the Bride-to-Be. Oh, ss, it seems I am a favorite. Me! The phone call was for me! I have been asked to read at the big wedding. Me! Boomer! At a giant, giant church. In a major U.S. city.

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!

And I do not yet have the dress even. And now I have to lose 20 pounds. Get Botox so I can have that sophisticated zombie look. I have to learn to walk in heels again. Across what I am sure will be a stone floor. Up little steps. To the place where everyone will be looking at me. At me! Aaaauuugh!!!!

I know. I know. I will get a pedicure. And then I will find some of those Spanx things. And they will surely have invented some by now that I can start just above my lovely pedicure and pull them up, up, up. All the way to the top of my Boomer head, where I will tie them in a festive knot and then I will pin some sort of corsage on top of the knot. Yes. Yes. That is what I will do.

And I will have to cut little holes in those Spanx for the eyes. So I can read. And maybe a hole for my mouth so they can all hear me. And I guess for my Boomer nose. So I can breathe better.

But my glasses! OH NO!!! I will have to get new reading glasses. My reading glasses are tie-dyed on the sides with rhinestones on the front. (Really) Or maybe I will just wear them. They are nice for formal attire.

Butohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!

And all this just happened. And it even happened after that little party for the happy couple at the bride's parents' place in Michigan last weekend.

And I had even spent a little time with Groom-to-Be, talking to him. You know. Welcoming him to the family. You know. . .

er, telling him that the bride's Uncle Boomer is a trained killer. Ohmygosh!!!! THAT IS WHAT I REALLY TOLD THE POOR GUY! I just wanted him to know that we expected him to take good care of her. (Mr. Boomer is not really a trained killer. I was just making that part up.) You don't suppose he believed me do you? Nobody ever believes me. But this guy did not know me.

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!

Poor Guy!!! It was the rum talking. That's what it was! I have got to stop hanging out with pirates.

But even after alllll this. They still BOTH want ME to read at their wedding.

I said, "Yes. I am honored."

And I know I am going to cry. And it will not be a pretty sight. No glistening solitary tear for me. It will be all red and snotty. She was only just a little girl. Visiting Aunt Boomer in the summer. . .

And now. . . Ohmygoshohmygosh!!!!

Nobody is going to even notice me. The bride is drop dead gorgeous and will be in a closely fitted strapless number, beaded.

And that is just as it should be.

Boomer needs to get over herself.

And no. I do not yet have the dress. But suddenly, I am working on it.

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM

Once again I am late to the game here--but our daughter got married in May and I also struggled with the dress thing. I ended up buying separates from the collection at this site:http://www.moncheribridals.com/Colle...name=Ensembles.

The fabrics are decent and have a classy degree of sheen and the pieces were comfortable all day and cleaned well. I bought the little bolero jacket--very flattering--and a fairly simple top plus both short and long pencil skirts in the cocoa brown and added a sash for some color. Several web sites out there offer this collection, but beware--the bridal shop owner from whom I purchased followed the measurements for skirts and top and we ordered 10s, even though the 8 jacket was a perfect fit and true to size...I ended up having to alter the 10s. By comparison, I would say the sizes are on a par with Coldwater Creek. I had many many compliments from both young and mature guests and multiple...oooh, where did you find THAT??? questions.

You sound so excited--you will be glowing and gorgeous no matter what you wear! Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I'd love to see a picture of your dress, Susi. Do you have one you'd feel comfortable sharing with all of us? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Soaring Parsley

Hi susi1356,

And welcome. Welcome. Welcome.

You caught me wrestling my angst here. I do that sometimes. I fret a bit in print. I work it out. And you are so right. I am truly excited. Even if I know that I am going to sob. The bride says that will be OK. She said that it might even be kind of great. I just hope I do not fall down.

(Actually, I fell into a fountain at a local mall one time. That's another story. I do not make this stuff up. Well, most of it I don't.)

And you may just be my new best friend. That looks like a good source. Maybe they have an "Aunt of the Bride" section.

Seriously, thank you. I will check on the site you included. And I love the name of it.

"The Quest for the Dress" can take on a life of its own that only other women can understand.

Boomer
Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Boomer

I don't know... but if the wedding is taking place anywhere close to the Motor City....well, you might make the news!

Better get all gussied up and practice walking in those high heels lady...cause if you fall, you may make it on the late night "Blunders and Bloopers" news in Detroit!

LOL...good luck with not only finding a dress but also practicing how to walk up those stone steps in high heels.

It would be a much nicer scenario meeting you for coffee than meeting you on the late night news.

Laughing....
Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Soaring Parsley

Oh Bright,

I know what you mean. And I do not make this stuff up. I was walking along. Looking into my shopping bag. Not paying attention. At the mall. There was this fountain...

Now, you see why I do not like to shop. At the mall.

The wedding itself is in an even more major U. S. city. Do you think that song that calls it "That Toddlin' Town" might be about me trying to walk in heels again?

Boomer, from "The Midwest Tour" album
Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Boomer

I can identify with "accidents".

My daughter and I still laugh about the time we were in Kmart...many years ago....

I was so into my conversation that I didn't notice a foot square post and ran smack dab into it....

What a dope I can be...LOL
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Gold member

Boomer if the wedding is in the Motor City you might end up like my son on his wedding day. They were photographed and interviewed by the local news in front of Tiger Stadium on their wedding day. It was just around the corner from the church and my son is a big Tiger fan so you can understand how they ended up there after the wedding. LOL

So you never know. Look your best and have a great time.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

You know that when you finally find this dress that you are going to have to post a picture so that we can oooh and aaaah over it. We will need the official count down as well. When is the wedding and how much time do you have left to find this dress? (And you realize that the shoes sometimes take longer to find than the dress, and of course those can't be purchased until the dress is found, so you actually have less time to find the dress than you think.) And then of course, you might have to allow time to have the shoes dyed if you can't find anything in a normal color that looks decent with the color of the dress. (Just thought I would add to your stress level!)

ps....there now, did that take your mind off of having to read a paragraph or two?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.