Quest for Dress

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: The Quest for the Dress

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!

Thanks, ss.

I had better get busy. BUT WHERE DO I START!!!

Actually, I hope to have the dress figured out in a few days. I am not nearly as nuts as I appear to be sometimes. or am I?

Boomer
Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Sage

Sometimes I think a simple sheath with sleeves and some dressy Ferragamo flats are all you need for many occasions. Simple, elegant jewelry, a good handbag and easy hair finish the ensemble. People will spend more time looking at the bride. After 50, I'm not sure how many people are even looking at us. If we look frightful they might, but overall just looking classic and understated serves you well. I'm to the point where a moo-moo may be more flattering than a sheath, but you get the general idea of the look I would go for.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Boomer--thank you for bringing us up to date on your Quest for the Dress and for making me laugh! 1rnfl I hope you will post a picture of your beautiful self --rhinestone glasses and all!!!!!---- Good luck with your "quest."
Old 08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Soaring Parsley

Girls, thank you so much for all the great advice. And thank you so much for laughing along with me.

Update:

I have just thrown myself upon the mercy of nordstrom.com

These two dresses are on the way, even as we speak. The first one, the sheath with the jacket, is for the wedding. From the description, I think the detail might be decent. And it is lined, always a good thing.

And oh yeah, I look exactly like that tall thin blond who is wearing the dress in the picture.- - (Boomer lies sometimes. Just smile and nod and do not make any sudden moves.)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2980217?...=keywordsearch

And this is another one I have ordered. Just in case life in the big city becomes even more exciting. I have ordered it in black. I think Mr. Boomer just might want to take me out on a big city date maybe.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2997580?...=searchresults

I will let you know how this works out. Well, how some of it works out. I will not tell you about the date.

Boomer and the City (well, the Second City that is) from the "Midwest Tour" album
Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

That is gonna be one hot date!!!! Wow!! Love the dress for the wedding too! You're more daring than I am, I just feel uncomfortable showing my knees anymore. (Maybe too many slaps on them from the nuns in school? They never did take into account that you grew over the summer, and that your mom didn't have you try the uniform on before school started.) But I digress! Both dresses are beautiful, but pictures of models really wasn't what I had in mind. We must have pics of you when you get the whole ensemble put together.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Veteran member

I LOVE both dresses. Very classy!! Looks like you will have a successful outcome on your "quest." Have fun and enjoy the wedding and your "hot" date-----
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Soaring Parsley

Thanks SS and Sandyb,

Does anybody have any thoughts on shoes to go with the one I plan to wear to the wedding?

If you look at that picture, you can see that certain things have been considered for women of an age. Those princess seams or darts or whatever they are called can be pretty wonderful sometimes. I am just hoping that they are miraculous. We will see I guess. And the 3/4 sleeves on the jacket solve a problem too. The beading is just enough and it is taken all the way around to the back of the collar and dips into a little design. And the beading detail looks like it will be just fine without worrying about a necklace. Earrings to find. Maybe a bracelet.

SS, about those knees. Oh, it will be too long when it arrives. Dresses seem to be made for really tall women. So if this thing fits right everywhere else, I will have to make a decision about the knees. But I can tell you one thing that is for absolute certain. THAT JACKET IS NEVER COMING OFF I DO NOT CARE IF IT IS 115 DEGREES IN THAT CHURCH, NOT EVEN AT THE RECEPTION!

That black one I am a little unsure of. The right jersey fabric with the right weight to it can cover a multitude of sins. But I have been sinning a lot lately so we will see how that goes.

Ohmygoshohmygosh! I have gone from being in a total freak-out frenzy just 24 hours ago to falling in love on the internet!!!! --- with a dress!

I will be looking out the window all day on Monday, waiting for that delivery truck. Cross your fingers, please.

And that shoe question, I am seriously asking. The color may be a tough one without going the dyed route which I don't think I want to do. We all know that limits the shoes from being worn with other stuff. But that color is going to be tough. BUT OH I DO NOT CARE. I'M IN LOVE! I'M IN LOVE! I'M IN LOVE WITH A WONDERFUL DRESS!! (I sure hope it works out. I'll let you know when the truck comes.)

Boomer
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

I loooooooooooooove the wedding dress!! It's absolutely PERFECT!!! Even the color is one of my favs. Shoes? hmmmm are you still wearing heels? How about some brown alligator? Seems to be the style of late. Or even classy taffey-color (or beige) heels with matching beading as the dress, if that's at all possible to find? Need to match the shoes with same-color handbag. Or.......cream-color accessories???

That dress is such a classic; just love it.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Eternal Member

Maroon shoes and handbag would go well with the wedding dress.....b

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2992998?...nelImage=False

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Veteran member

A trick I learned from all the years of dance: to make your legs look longer match your shoes to the color of your hose. So if you wear black hose: wear black shoes. If you wear nude color panty hose: wear nude colored shoes. Now the ultimate question.....to show the toes, or not show the toes?

This shoe has a 2" heel with a wider base to the heel, which I find to be more comfortable and easier to walk in than a pointed heel. It is also dyeable!

http://www.endless.com/Dyeables-Wome...bridal%20shoes

WOW!!! That was a really long ip address!!!

This one would be to not show the toe. Again dyeable!

http://www.endless.com/Coloriffics-W...VXQ,B0011MQGSG

So many websites out there with these kinds of shoes. Check around on price once you find a style you like. Hope the dresses work out!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Soaring Parsley

Wow! This is so great. I feel like an old Cinderella.

About those shoes. I can wear heels, but I do not like to wear them for long. You know the drill. But it can be oh so worth it, at least for a couple of hours. For years, I have rarely worn a shoe with a back on it. During a bout with Achilles tendinitis a few years ago, the doc said to stop wearing shoes with backs on them. And I did. And it worked. I am going to look for slides first, but I don't know if that will be dressy enough.

SS, do I ever know that thing about keeping the color the same. Every little bit helps. Such a project for a woman, isn't it?

All Mr. Boomer has to do is figure out which tie to wear. And he will pick the wrong one so I will have to do that, too. He is on a junket this week and when I packed his clothes, I put the shirts inside the pants so that he cannot screw it up. I try to keep an eye on those things. I always tell him that I absolutely will not have him going around, out in the world, looking all pitiful, all mismatched, looking like no woman loves him. Boomer is no fool.

Boomer
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Eternal Member

Boomer - Good luck!

I went through this last November when I was mother of the bride. Even though I needed a floor length dress, I tried on bazillion dresses, and settled on a jacket dress - it was far superior stylewise to the dresses I had tried.
So I vote for the jacket - It is very good looking.
I, like you, prefer slides. I finally found some sandal slides with a medium heel at Nordstrom's. Looks like taupe would be nice with that dress - really couldn't tell that much from the picture.

I also learned NOT to wear stockings. I hit a spray-on tanning salon (did a test run two weeks before the wedding) which was the answer to the no stocking problem.

Keep us posted

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Soaring Parsley

wiw,

Oh my gosh. I never thought about the spray tan stuff. I have never used that.

Remember that stuff called "Q-T" I think it was. Back in the 60's. Well, I was going to look so wonderful on some early summer date to Coney Island. (Cincinnati's Coney Island, not the real Coney Island.) Anyway, I got my hair all teased up and then to finish off my glamorous look, slathered myself with "Q-T." (Is that what it was called?")

I looked like I was rusted. Corroded. Well, it was actually a rather bright shade of orange. And it was streaked. It was awful. I was an idiot. And I looked like one.

And I was such an idiot that I tried to get it off with Clorox. Yep. Clorox. I do not know why I picked Clorox. But I did. Well, it streaked worse. And then I smelled like a washing machine full of whites. Oh, wiw, it is amazing that I ever managed to get a date. Whenever I see that "Blue Man" thing I always think of "Orange Girl."

Thus, to this day, I am completely traumatized at the thought of artificial tanning. And I spend my outside hours slathered with sunscreen. But I hear that the spray on stuff is pretty good now. I will look into it. Thanks.

You girls are too much fun. I will certainly keep you all posted as this goes along.

Boomer
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack

All Mr. Boomer has to do is figure out which tie to wear. And he will pick the wrong one so I will have to do that, too. He is on a junket this week and when I packed his clothes, I put the shirts inside the pants so that he cannot screw it up. I try to keep an eye on those things. I always tell him that I absolutely will not have him going around, out in the world, looking all pitiful, all mismatched, looking like no woman loves him. Boomer is no fool.

Boomer
Is your Mr B color-blind?

My hub is and he doesn't leave the house without first checking to see if his colors match. He knows it matters to me how he looks in public and therefore will comply. Otherwise, at home he has no clue nor does he care whether things match and dons grungy old shorts and a shirt. He always looks good to me, whether grungy or spiffy; he's the best.

....barb

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Veteran member

Boomer--it was Q-T---that was the name. I remember using it and my hands were as orange as the rest of my body. I also remember using baby oil and iodine--that result was also an unnatural color!! I have been reading your posts to my husband--- We have decided that you are a "natural" and should write a book. Your way with words is so entertaining!!! I wish I could help with you choice of shoes, etc., but I am so fashion-challenged. From what I have seen by other posts, you are being helped by those who have some fashion sense. Please keep us posted. I look forward to it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.