FL Bass Angler Survey

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Platinum member
Cool FL Bass Angler Survey

The State of Florida Freshwater Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, FWC, have proposed rule changes regarding the harvest of largemouth bass. If you're an angler and especially a FL resident please complete the survey. This survey has been sent out to the Freshwater Fishing Club membership. Click on the link below and look under the picture of the largemouth bass for the survey.

Largemouth Bass Regulations Review
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Don't eat them

[QUOTE=F16 1UB;876559]The State of Florida Freshwater Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, FWC, have proposed rule changes regarding the harvest of largemouth bass. If you're an angler and especially a FL resident please complete the survey. This survey has been sent out to the Freshwater Fishing Club membership. Click on the link below and look under the picture of the largemouth bass for the survey.

Largemouth Bass Regulations Review[/QUOT

As a lifelong Fl resident and avid bass fisherman I'd suggest not harvesting any bass or probably any freshwater fish for consumption due to lead content. Catch your fish, take a picture of it and measure it, then release it. A large percentage will die anyways due to trauma experienced during the fight. You can get a mount from that if necessary and not deplete the fishery. I've got two wall hangars, one a skin mount and the other a replica mount. Both caught in very public locations in the greater Miami area. The skin mount process is very lengthy and a dying art.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Platinum member
Default Did You Complete The Survey?

Your remarks on here mean nothing. Please post comments on the survey where they're relevant & will be read by officials....

Largemouth Bass Regulations Review
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Done
Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Platinum member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post

As a lifelong Fl resident and avid bass fisherman I'd suggest not harvesting any bass or probably any freshwater fish for consumption due to lead content. Catch your fish, take a picture of it and measure it, then release it. A large percentage will die anyways due to trauma experienced during the fight. You can get a mount from that if necessary and not deplete the fishery. I've got two wall hangars, one a skin mount and the other a replica mount. Both caught in very public locations in the greater Miami area. The skin mount process is very lengthy and a dying art.
Using my web browser I couldn't find anything about significant lead content in bass; did you mean mercury?

Even then, I didn't find anything to preclude occasional eating of bass other than, perhaps, those caught in the Everglades. Since your reference fishing in Miami, perhaps your information is more localized to South Florida.

Do you have a particular resource we might read?

===========

On a related subject, how's the fishing in Lake Panasoffkee?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Duh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Using my web browser I couldn't find anything about significant lead content in bass; did you mean mercury?

Even then, I didn't find anything to preclude occasional eating of bass other than, perhaps, those caught in the Everglades. Since your reference fishing in Miami, perhaps your information is more localized to South Florida.

Do you have a particular resource we might read?

===========

On a related subject, how's the fishing in Lake Panasoffkee?
Carl, thanks, it is Mercury ( senior moment). No I don't have a current source but this has been well publicized for many years. At one Time it was even part of the annual fish and game reports and yearly published regulations. I think it has to do mostly with runoff and was primarily geared towards children. I noticed a distinct difference in taste over the years too. Used to be nothing better than Okeechobee catfish and speckled perch.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.