Interesting read....

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2021, 03:18 AM
Default Interesting read....

Well, looks like some of that "don't worry about a thing it's all good" reporting might be a tad bit premature....Do you know what's in your blood? New EPA docs show widespread risk from common chemicals
Old 12-17-2021, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I've always been weary of teflon. I try to not use those pans coated with it best I can. Never heard of textiles that use that chemical. Thanks for sharing this story.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I've always been weary of teflon. I try to not use those pans coated with it best I can. Never heard of textiles that use that chemical. Thanks for sharing this story.
Yeah, cant help but remember how wonderful it was considered when it first came out...no more brillo pads. How much of that peeled off into our eggs each morning with breakfast....
Old 12-17-2021, 06:40 AM

You might be better off waiting before you panic. "Likely" is not definitive for one thing. And secondly, it was the binder chemical for Teflon that was the problem - and only when the Teflon has been scratched through was that binder chemical exposed to the food. Best advice is to keep your immune system strong - perhaps by resisting worrying about stuff that may or may not be a problem. These articles about "likely" problems are meant to create fear. That's our media. Sorry.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Well, looks like some of that "don't worry about a thing it's all good" reporting might be a tad bit premature....Do you know what's in your blood? New EPA docs show widespread risk from common chemicals
The source, Yahoo News, borrowing from USA Today, is alarmist and uses numbers in a less than fair way. The amount of this stuff in a factory that makes it or in a town water supply where the chemical is seeping in from factory runoff is wildly higher and more dangerous than in water that has a few parts per trillion of the chemical.

The article says, “In 2016, the EPA created an advisory level for the chemical in drinking water of no more than 70 parts per trillion (ppt). But Bartell’s calculations showed that somebody drinking the chemical at that amount for a decade faced a 16% higher risk of developing kidney cancer than someone drinking none.” But put that in perspective. That does NOT mean that 16% of those who have it in their water supply will get kidney cancer. About one person in 4,224 people per year gets kidney cancer. About one in 14,000 people DIE of kidney cancer per year. So more than two-thirds of those who get it survive it. So, it’s 16% more than one in 4,224.

Of course, people continue to eat rice, much of which has a small amount of arsenic in it that stays in the system. People continue to eat seafood that lives by filtering impurities from sea water. They continue to eat top-of-the-food-chain fish that may have poisonous mercury in it, or other chemicals. They continue to use herbal supplements that can poison them.

If you are worried about this, get rid of any cookware that has peeling Teflon coating, and don’t use metal on Teflon while cooking or cleaning. Or, switch to cast iron or stainless steel (or is stainless steel problematic these days?) Maybe get rid of your car if it has chrome on it, as chromium in your bloodstream can poison you.

Consider this: About 14,000 people per year in this country die of kidney cancer. In the past 11 weeks, 100,000 Americans died of Covid, nearly all of them unvaccinated.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:07 AM

Interesting, and potentially a broad topic.
One issue that I’m trying to follow is the newly(?) developed mRNA feature in Covid 19 Moderna & Pfizer vaccines.
Dr Robert Malone (mRNA developer) has suggested there may be some serious down-the-road realities with mRNA use. Something known as “spike protein’s” seem to be the biggest concern.
Any comments?
Old 12-17-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, cant help but remember how wonderful it was considered when it first came out...no more brillo pads. How much of that peeled off into our eggs each morning with breakfast....
Some people still use metal brushes to clean a grill. A piece of the metal brush in a burger can kill you.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:40 AM

This is NOT new. We got rid of our peeling Teflon years ago. Replaced fry pans with copper ones. They are the best. Easy clean up and go from stove top to oven.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
You might be better off waiting before you panic. "Likely" is not definitive for one thing. And secondly, it was the binder chemical for Teflon that was the problem - and only when the Teflon has been scratched through was that binder chemical exposed to the food. Best advice is to keep your immune system strong - perhaps by resisting worrying about stuff that may or may not be a problem. These articles about "likely" problems are meant to create fear. That's our media. Sorry.
It's definitely not one thing. Stuff has been in the sky, water, food, meds, etc.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:04 AM

To Kill A Mockingbird. I read it as a young girl and as a person who was completely unaware of life outside my world. It shocked me and opened my eyes. I’m grateful.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
To quote The Bard, “Double double toil and trouble / fire burn and cauldron bubble.” So at least the cauldron is non-stick, and what you are wearing is stain resistant.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:44 AM

Over the target...big pharma does not care about your health...only their shareholders..follow the money trail.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:07 AM

My granny was so afraid of cancer, she wouldn't come within ten feet of a microwave oven.
NO Way she would eat anything that came out of one.
You guessed it, she died of cancer.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:12 AM

Note that the person who died from cancer was exposed to “a Teflon-like substance”, not Teflon per se. There is a class of chemicals called PFAS, which includes PFOA, that are a great concern as carcinogens. Almost all of us have PFAS in our system. They are used in many consumer items, such as anti-stick, anti-stain and water-resistant coatings on fabrics and even food packaging. Over 6,000 different PFAS are used around the world.

The person mentioned in the article worked a textile factory and was undoubtedly exposed to high levels of PFAS. There are many substances that we are exposed to that are very dangerous in high levels. The likelihood of getting cancer from the low levels we experience is remote. We cannot avoid these chemicals. Secondhand smoke is probably a greater risk.

I see no point in worrying about something that cannot be avoided and is very unlikely to cause me harm.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

We have used stainless steel pans with copper bottoms for a long time. I tried the Teflon coated pans years ago and really disliked the flakiness of them, as well as, the weird film that develops when you simmer (not scald) milk for various recipes. I never get that strange film when I'm cooking in my stainless pots.
Closed Thread

Tags
reporting, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.