Musical Memories of the ?40s

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2022, 09:55 PM
Editor
Default Musical Memories of the ?40s

The Off Broadway Players and Off Broadway Dancers will be presenting “Musical Memories of the ’40s” on April 9 at La Hacienda Regional Recreation Center. This tribute to veterans will be at 3 and 6:30 p.m. Guests are encouraged to bring their own snacks and beverages. Anyone who is a veteran is also encouraged to

More...
Old 04-08-2022, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,729 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gazette View Post
The Off Broadway Players and Off Broadway Dancers will be presenting “Musical Memories of the ’40s” on April 9 at La Hacienda Regional Recreation Center. This tribute to veterans will be at 3 and 6:30 p.m. Guests are encouraged to bring their own snacks and beverages. Anyone who is a veteran is also encouraged to

More...
Should be great. Thanx for the heads-up.

I've always thought that that particular era of American music--from the late 1930's to the mid 1940's--was one of the best in American music. I love listening to it on Pandora. What has always struck me about it was that the music was from a time time where America was facing problems and challenges pretty much unique in our history. It was a time of tremendous worry, a time when trouble and loss was being felt by most, and for many reasons, yet our music then was almost exclusively happy and uplifting.

To me, that combination exemplified the American spirit. It reflected optimism in the face of overwhelming obstacles, a testament to the courage of those who would later, and with overwhelming reason, be called The Greatest Generation.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 04-08-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,956 Times in 1,117 Posts

I loved that period the big bands , the jazz greats and the singers of , but a song that’s always close to my heart was Vera Lynn’s “ We’ll Meet Again , my mother would play that song while my father was at war , she would sing along with it and sometimes we would dance to it , and when my father came back they would dance to it no matter what they were doing if it was on radio or late at night I could hear them sometimes singing it while they slow danced. When I want to feel close to both of them I play that song and always seem to shed a tear

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 04-08-2022 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 04-09-2022, 06:07 AM
Default We'll Meet Again

I'm in the show and we are doing that song--and many other huge hits from the era. I hope that anyone who is a fan of the music will come and join us tonight.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:15 PM
Default Loved the show

Bravo to all the shows participants. What a lovely way to spend an evening. Thank you for the great music, dancing and memories
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.