Sheriff?s office asking public?s help in identifying shoplifter in The Villages

Old 02-08-2024, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
While DA's in the large cities of California, New York, Oregon, Washington and elsewhere refuse to prosecute theft, which has resulted in a crime spree putting many retailers out of business, Florida law enforcement ENFORCE THE LAW! We moved to The Villages from California, because California has transitioned from a 'wonderful place to live' to a 'dangerous, crime-ridden state" where criminals & the homeless rule the roost. We sincerely appreciate Florida Police & Sheriff's efforts that enforce the law, which keeps Florida a safe and wonderful place to live!
Nailed it!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
You wouldn't think it's a waste if you were a business owner
I am a business owner. I would have done something with the first theft.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,193 Times in 838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
This the difference between FL and NY. I read an article where dozens of illegal aliens were stealing stuff from stores in NYC and coming to FL to spend the money. When someone asked them why they don't just steal in FL and spend it there they said because in FL they actually put you in jail.
Oh I so wish you would have posted a link to that article. It makes zero sense. You can spend the money in NY, spending is not a crime, or any state between NY and FL. Or you can spend it on the fuel you need to get from NY to FL.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:23 AM

Thou shall not steal!!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac877 View Post
Thou shall not steal!!
Yeow! There are about a hundred or so replies to this, at least 90 of which would earn you an enforced "vacation" at the hands of the Thought Police!

Seriously though...while I agree strongly that people should not be stealing (and am very glad that the law enforcement in TV is so strongly proactive when it comes to enforcing anti-shoplifting laws), I seriously doubt that Wal-Mart will ever do more than it is doing right now. If they can make up the "shrinkage" shortfall by charging paying customers more, and as long as such theft is not affecting the bottom line, why should they?
Old 02-08-2024, 11:00 AM

Iā€™m surprised the quality is not better. As an attorney working with youth in Ohio I received a lot of discovery from Walmart, including surveillance camera footage. You could easily make out faces. There were also good cameras in the parking lot that clearly showed vehicles and the license plates.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Good luck with that. Iā€™m surprised they wasted space in the paper with a misdemeanor theft
I'm glad they are concerned with theft, and people don't have a free for all like in California and some other states. News flash WE ALL PAY FOR IT!
Old 02-08-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Yeow! There are about a hundred or so replies to this, at least 90 of which would earn you an enforced "vacation" at the hands of the Thought Police!

Seriously though...while I agree strongly that people should not be stealing (and am very glad that the law enforcement in TV is so strongly proactive when it comes to enforcing anti-shoplifting laws), I seriously doubt that Wal-Mart will ever do more than it is doing right now. If they can make up the "shrinkage" shortfall by charging paying customers more, and as long as such theft is not affecting the bottom line, why should they?
Thought police? Most people get what the very simple comment meant, the response is when you need the "thought police"...smh
Old 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
While DA's in the large cities of California, New York, Oregon, Washington and elsewhere refuse to prosecute theft, which has resulted in a crime spree putting many retailers out of business, Florida law enforcement ENFORCE THE LAW! We moved to The Villages from California, because California has transitioned from a 'wonderful place to live' to a 'dangerous, crime-ridden state" where criminals & the homeless rule the roost. We sincerely appreciate Florida Police & Sheriff's efforts that enforce the law, which keeps Florida a safe and wonderful place to live!
Iā€™m also from California but the good news for residents there is that there is a petition circulating to repeal Prop. 47 which is partly responsible for the rise in retail theft and crime. As you probably know, it has a provision which states that theft of anything under the amount of $950 is a misdemeanor. Therefore, not worth arresting anyone by overburdened police departments around the state.

I hope it makes it on the November ballot because I think it will pass easily. Everyone, regardless of their political persuasion, is sick of theft and retail crime in California and all the negative byproducts it has produced.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
You are right.
perhaps when they catch this person, it will show a long list of offenses
Old 02-09-2024, 03:42 AM
Default commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
This the difference between FL and NY. I read an article where dozens of illegal aliens were stealing stuff from stores in NYC and coming to FL to spend the money. When someone asked them why they don't just steal in FL and spend it there they said because in FL they actually put you in jail.
That's a very long commute! Thank goodness The Villages has gates to thwart the marauders.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Oh I so wish you would have posted a link to that article. It makes zero sense. You can spend the money in NY, spending is not a crime, or any state between NY and FL. Or you can spend it on the fuel you need to get from NY to FL.
Here are two links to story
CNN anchors momentarily silent after learning why migrant gangs don’t stay in Florida: ‘There you go to jail'

Or

CNN anchors momentarily silent after learning why migrant gangs don’t stay in Florida: ‘There you go to jail''' | Fox News

Or dozens more if you google it. Punishment for a crime is a deterrent.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Good luck with that. Iā€™m surprised they wasted space in the paper with a misdemeanor theft
Why is it wasted do we just let other steal at our expense, you break the law you get arrested and go to jail.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnytalk View Post
Why is it wasted do we just let other steal at our expense, you break the law you get arrested and go to jail.
We hope!
Old 02-09-2024, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
That's a very long commute! Thank goodness The Villages has gates to thwart the marauders.
YES! We are safe!

šŸ™ƒ

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.