High End gears installed

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2023, 06:20 AM

Hmmmm....
Primary drive is through "tourqe converter". Lowering final gear ratio will increase load on engine. I would think the "slightly" higher RPM (by adjusting govenor) at top speed would be "easier" on the engine.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGApromike View Post
I have a 2018 Yamaha Drive 2 fleet. The difference in fleet cart and a PTV is lights and gears. I want to get the high end gears in my fleet cart. I get 18mph and researched stock PTV gears will get me up to the 25mph area it 6-7 mph more. Gears new about $325. I don't have the tools to do it myself or I would.
If you've had this done, love to hear from you
Thanks
I also investigated gears recently and ended up agreeing with several others on this thread. With wheels, a going theory is you can add about 1mph for each additional inch of diameter on wheels. I have a 2021 Drive 2 QuietTech fleet vehicle and tied the governor open. Using my GPS speedometer as the reference I went from about 22 mph wide open to, on average, 24 mph and hit 25 often depending on how the wind's blowing. Highest recorded speed has been 27 mph. So for the cost of a tiewrap vs $300 - $500, I've increased buggie speed by 3 - 5 mph. No changes in tires either. That's just my personal experience.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have a 2018 Yamaha Drive 2 fleet. The difference in fleet cart and a PTV is lights and gears. I want to get the high end gears in my fleet cart. I get 18mph and researched stock PTV gears will get me up to the 25mph area it 6-7 mph more. Gears new about $325. I don't have the tools to do it myself or I would.
Thanks
Ask your friendly sheriff’s deputy about the cost of operating an unlicensed and improperly equipped low speed vehicle. Separate tickets for no wipers, no hydraulic brakes, improper wheels and tires, etc etc, and of course no insurance.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:59 AM

I have the 2022 Quiet Tech PTV. It has the "high speed gear" set. We have 10" wheels with 205/65-10 tires. These are 20 inch diameter and the cart goes 20mph. I am not a golfer and we use the cart for transportation only.

The Fleet carts are made for the golf course and top out at 13-15 mph. So when the OP is looking at the high speed gears it is certainly not going to make the cart a speed demon.

An hey, if you want to spend you money on the gears, do it. Other folks here might choose to spend $500 on painting team murals on their cart. Or others may add speakers or a hard enclosure. It's your money do as you want.

Last edited by bcsnave; 09-19-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:59 AM

I've had this done on my fleet 2019 Yamaha. If you increase the governed speed and run it too long if will damage the governor. I got mine up too 19 mph but the rpm's were so high the rear end pressure relief hose was constantly leaking fluid. If you want the new gear installed dm me and I will send you the local guy I used. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Don't see Discount Golf when I Google it. Thanks I will keep looking.
The Villages Discount Golf Carts...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-19-2023, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinDream665 View Post
I've had this done on my fleet 2019 Yamaha. If you increase the governed speed and run it too long if will damage the governor. I got mine up to 19 mph but the rpm's were so high the rear end pressure relief hose was constantly leaking fluid. If you want the new gear installed dm me and I will send you the local guy I used. Good luck.
I highly doubt that due to all Yamaha gas carts flying by me with golf clubs on back. I would check transaxle gear oil level it might be over filled?
Old 09-19-2023, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I highly doubt that due to all Yamaha gas carts flying by me with golf clubs on back. I would check transaxle gear oil level it might be over filled?
There is a difference between "Fleet" Yamaha carts and their "PTV" carts...

The "Fleet" carts don't have the "High Speed Gears" and are designed to only top out at abut 15 mph. Very few of them are sold in TV...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-19-2023, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
I completely don't UNDERSTAND why The Villages does NOT Police the golf carts speed enough so that everyone is doing around 15 MPH. Allowing some people to have faster golf carts is just asking for EXCESSIVE passing and therefore ACCIDENTS. We are all retired here........what is the hurry.........some people get to the swimming pool faster so that they get more suntan and skin cancer. They end up walking sideways in the pool anyway.
......... Golf carts have high centers of gravity (maybe not the E-carts) and when you increase their top speed you increase the likelihood of a rollover. They are designed to go SLOW on purpose.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
A 10 mm box end wrench will get you what you need…or a zip tie so you can cut it when you get in a wreck and the Insurance company investigates…
Yes, after a rollover when someone is hurt or knocked out, they will while unconscious, cut that zip tie. What a great plan (so devious) to be able to brag that they go 5 MPH faster than someone else. I think that I would use my time and brain cells in more productive activity. Go work at a charity.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
I have done the gears sets in 2 yamaha carts. You don't need any specialty tools, just hand tools, a jack and jack stands. If you aren't mechanically inclined then I wouldn't suggest doing it. Any decent golf cart mechanic can do it. It does drop the rpms down considerably and will make your engine last longer in my opinion. Just because it allows more speed doesn't mean you have to go faster. Most of the Corvettes I see traveling around TV are going 35 to 45 even though they can go 160. Call Todd Casey.
When you drop the RPMs in a gas cart (or any vehicle) you get into the lower part of the torque curve and the engine likely will labor from rest up to speed. That will make the engine less reliable over time.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousel View Post
Hmmmm....
Primary drive is through "tourqe converter". Lowering final gear ratio will increase load on engine. I would think the "slightly" higher RPM (by adjusting govenor) at top speed would be "easier" on the engine.
I agree, but I would NOT waste my time doing either one. I would rather use my time fishing or doing something equally boring like playing golf.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
I also investigated gears recently and ended up agreeing with several others on this thread. With wheels, a going theory is you can add about 1mph for each additional inch of diameter on wheels. I have a 2021 Drive 2 QuietTech fleet vehicle and tied the governor open. Using my GPS speedometer as the reference I went from about 22 mph wide open to, on average, 24 mph and hit 25 often depending on how the wind's blowing. Highest recorded speed has been 27 mph. So for the cost of a tiewrap vs $300 - $500, I've increased buggie speed by 3 - 5 mph. No changes in tires either. That's just my personal experience.
I wish that the Police or cameras could give out tickets to control all excessive speeding in a golf cart or in a regular automobile. Suppose a speeding golf car rolls over (they do that a LOT) and hits some member of your family?
Old 09-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsnave View Post
I have the 2022 Quiet Tech PTV. It has the "high speed gear" set. We have 10" wheels with 205/65-10 tires. These are 20 inch diameter and the cart goes 20mph. I am not a golfer and we use the cart for transportation only.

The Fleet carts are made for the golf course and top out at 13-15 mph. So when the OP is looking at the high speed gears it is certainly not going to make the cart a speed demon.

An hey, if you want to spend you money on the gears, do it. Other folks here might choose to spend $500 on painting team murals on their cart. Or others may add speakers or a hard enclosure. It's your money do as you want.
That would be fine if a rollover or other accident does NOT affect other people. It will cost society money for an ambulance and clog up the hospital unnecessarily.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That would be fine if a rollover or other accident does NOT affect other people. It will cost society money for an ambulance and clog up the hospital unnecessarily.
Will there ever be a time that stating your opinion just once will be enough? Being a broken record isn't going to make people listen to you. It's just going to make them ignore you even more than they already do.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
gears, fleet, high, end, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.