Golf Cart Keys

Old 05-10-2024, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,237 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Your secret is safe with me....................there's probably a 1 in 52,000 chance I figure out which cart in TV is yours.

Fair enough, I tapped into the solenoid under the seat (near the battery) and put a marine grade kill switch hidden behind the accessory basket. I highly doubt a thief would look around long enough to find it there.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post

What I would suggest is for you to hide an Apple AirTag if you have an Apple smartphone or the Android Tile for the other phones using the Android format…..
So your suggesting to find your cart and confront the thieves?

Putting yourself in harms way isn't a great idea, call your insurance company.

I will say mine was stolen at about 3:30 AM, a neighbor happened to be up and saw it drive by, I would have thought the police with a good idea of the time would check the gate cameras.
Nope, no real interest in tracking down the creeps.
Said most are loaded on a truck or trailer.
They took the report gave me a copy and that was about it from them.

They said about 5-6 are stolen every week.

Yes change the key, but more important is check your insurance
Old 05-11-2024, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
So your suggesting to find your cart and confront the thieves?

Putting yourself in harms way isn't a great idea, call your insurance company.

I will say mine was stolen at about 3:30 AM, a neighbor happened to be up and saw it drive by, I would have thought the police with a good idea of the time would check the gate cameras.
Nope, no real interest in tracking down the creeps.
Said most are loaded on a truck or trailer.
They took the report gave me a copy and that was about it from them.

They said about 5-6 are stolen every week.

Yes change the key, but more important is check your insurance
Nowhere did I say to confront anyone ..Anyone with half a brain would call the police and have them do their job . With the aid of the tracking device, it greatly increases the chances that the cart would be found and arrest made .

Once in a while you hear about a golf cart theft ring being arrested so yes, the police will do their job.

Go ahead and change your key multiple times if you believe that is the answer against theft.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:54 AM

Well, my was stolen at beef Brady in the southern trace plaza last week. Actually the cart was taken by a confused older man. He simply used his key.By luck, the police found it in the lot. I had to prove it was mine by having the officer pull my insurance card in my glove compartment. I believe the villages golf cart salesman said my key was unique.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Didn’t know that but good idea!
Old 05-11-2024, 10:38 AM

Worry more about someone stealing the cart by simply hauling it away
Old 05-11-2024, 11:33 AM
Default My thought and action taken

I use my system when ever I am not where I can see it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	104072   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	104073   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	104074  
Old 05-11-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
Question: Are you all having your carts RE-KEYED since most of them have the same factory keying?
I installed a "cut-out", an electrical switch, operated by a "barrel" key in the dash between the factory ignition switch and the gas gauge. A "barrel" key is metal tube with various cuts on the end that goes into the switch. They are commonly found on electrical panels, alarm boxes, and vending machines. I chose this instead of replacing the factory ignition switch as it is a simple installation and requires only one wire that leads to the factory ignition switch to be cut and the barrel switch installed between the two ends of the wire. A thief is unlikely to have a supply of "barrel" keys and, seeing the new switch in the dash next to the factory ignition switch, is likely to move on to another cart.

As one RP mentioned, a bigger problem is the likelihood that a thief will kick off the brake, push your cart out of its space, and push or pull it around the corner where it can be rolled onto a truck or trailer. To prevent this, I installed a brake lock. I used an eye bolt which I installed through the angled floor board below the brake pedal and drilled a hole in the brake pedal. With the brake pedal depressed and the brake set, I hook a padlock through the eye bolt and the hole in the brake pedal. This prevents the brake from being "kicked off".

I regularly use the ignition "cut out". If I have parked the cart in one of the lots behind the buildings at the town squares or in a parking lot at a grocery store or restaurant, I also use the brake lot, particularly at night. Anyone who parks a cart on their driveway overnight should install a brake lock.

The "barrel" electrical switch came from Amazon. It carries two kinds. Buy the more expensive one, which costs around $15 (the cheaper one is junk). The parts for the brake lock (eye bolt, two fender washers, two nylock nuts-one on each side of the floorboard-, and the padlock, will cost $21 at Home Depot or Ace.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
Question: Are you all having your carts RE-KEYED since most of them have the same factory keying?
We had unique keys made for our golf carts.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,856 Times in 3,690 Posts

If you have fears of loss................BigBird's unit looks pretty cool.

Otherwise with a knife & screwdriver............your cart is mine........it's like a '65 Mustang.

Tags
golf, factory, re-keyed, cart, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.