Lose Gas and Choose Lithium, with Evolution Electric Vehicles

Old 03-20-2024, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Nice pictures, where is the picture of the place to hook up a tow rope?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
seems like this should be a paid advertisement - somewhere else
It is paid for. The Poster is a Sponsor, that helps make this Forum sustainable.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Just another reason to buy a Yamaha Quiet Tech which rides and handles more like a car and gets 250 miles per tank. Yamaha motor lasts over 20 years. Parts and Service available nationwide. Peace of mind.
Some folks are interested in moving to 21st Century technology, rather than being mired in the 1990's.

Add in the noise, smell, inconvenience and hot butts from gas carts, it's no surprise Electric Carts outsell Gasoline carts, by a 4:1 margin.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-20-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I have an Evolution D5 Ranger 4 with the 205ah battery. I am closing in on 1,000 miles with zero issues. While the range is great, anyone that says they're getting 70+ miles is exaggerating. The cart is very consistent at 7 miles per 10% charge. allowing for not taking the battery below 10%, that would give a max range of 63 miles.

I live as far North in The Villages as you can get - just off hwy 42 in Phillips Villas. I have driven my cart to Southern Oaks, played 18 and after returning, my battery was at 25%.

I would rather have folks have a reasonable expectation as to real life battery range.

One other very important point. The D5 Ranger with the stock 225/55r14 tires will not pass under 4 of The Villages tunnels. It's too tall. The single worst tunnel in The Villages is the Saddlebrook tunnel. I had my tires replaced with 205/45r12 tires, and that allows to cart to get under all tunnels in The Villages. Simply replacing with the stock 215/35r14 tires from the Classic cart does not lower it enough to get under the Saddlebrook tunnel. The other benefit to the smaller tires is greater range. Every 3" in diameter reduction results in a 10% increase in range. This is documented in testing conducted by Tesla. The actual range of a D5 Ranger with 205ah battery and stock tires is more likely to be in the high 50's.

Now that that's out of the way, the cart itself is outstanding. I love everything about it!
I have a 2022 Evolution 2 Plus with the 180 ah battery. I took it all the way from Fenny to Spanish Springs and back, and it used a little over half of the battery. I estimate that if I ran it dead it would go 60 miles, certainly 50. But at 20 MPH, that means I would be riding a golf cart almost three hours. I don't know why I would ever do that.

I like being able to plug it into 115V outlet and it charges about 7 to 10 percent in an hour. Once it charges I unplug it to avoid a power surge zapping the controller/battery. I try not to charge it until it drops below 80%, as I've been told that excess charging can shorten the battery life. Don't know if that's true, but why take the chance?

I prefer it to gas because of less regular maintenance and the ability to "fuel" from home, without having to keep full gas cans around. Also less fumes, although the newer gas models almost eliminate that.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Some folks are interested in moving to 21st Century technology, rather than being mired in the 1990's.

Add in the noise, smell, convenience and hot butts from gas carts, it's no surprise Electric Carts outsell Gasoline carts, by a 4:1 margin.
O no another Jimmie cricket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_JsiGl4AU
Old 03-20-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Add in the noise, smell, convenience and hot butts from gas carts, it's no surprise Electric Carts outsell Gasoline carts, by a 4:1 margin.
I love Yamaha engines, over my life I've had approximately 12 of them in various machines and they treated me as good or better than any other make (Honda is a close 2nd). If I include the ones my close friends have owned that number is easily double. No trouble with any of them.

I'm not a big fan of EV, yet. In time they will be the go to for most or all modes of transportation but I don't think we are there yet, infrastructure or technology.

All that said, after trying out golf carts the past 6 months there's no question for me that electric is the way to go. Cost, performance, comfort (noise and smell), convenience all go to electric. When the day comes to replace the battery I may be on here complaining about the cost, same if the electrical gremlins take over and make it a giant paper weight. If/when the ugly part shows I may wish I had a gas Yamaha but until then its electric all the way for me. YMMV
Old 03-20-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I gotta believe that is a skit, no one is as clueless or a pia as that lady is letting on. Are they?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
I have a 2022 Evolution 2 Plus with the 180 ah battery. I took it all the way from Fenny to Spanish Springs and back, and it used a little over half of the battery. I estimate that if I ran it dead it would go 60 miles, certainly 50. But at 20 MPH, that means I would be riding a golf cart almost three hours. I don't know why I would ever do that.

I like being able to plug it into 115V outlet and it charges about 7 to 10 percent in an hour. Once it charges I unplug it to avoid a power surge zapping the controller/battery. I try not to charge it until it drops below 80%, as I've been told that excess charging can shorten the battery life. Don't know if that's true, but why take the chance?

I prefer it to gas because of less regular maintenance and the ability to "fuel" from home, without having to keep full gas cans around. Also less fumes, although the newer gas models almost eliminate that.

IMO batteries have so many recharging cycles before they start loosing their ability to sustain full charge. Nicad batteries slowly lose charge while lithium hold charge longer the dies all sudden. It may take several hundred charge cycles but eventually the get weaker. Now Tesla battery packs maybe different due to hundreds of small cells working in unisons.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
IMO batteries have so many recharging cycles before they start loosing their ability to sustain full charge. Nicad batteries slowly lose charge while lithium hold charge longer the dies all sudden. It may take several hundred charge cycles but eventually the get weaker. Now Tesla battery packs maybe different due to hundreds of small cells working in unisons.
As long as it can go at least 30 miles, not too worried. I rarely go further than the courses between Brownwood and Sumter.

As far as Tesla/EV, not ready for prime time, IMO. They solve no problem I have with my ICE vehicle, and add problems it doesn't have. Might be fine as a second car, but not something that I want to jump in and drive 300+ miles.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Also less fumes, although the newer gas models almost eliminate that.
Um not so, im renting a new Yamaha from the Villages Golf Cart and im not impressed by the smell. Nice to have the smell in your cloths, NOT.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:33 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Are you using the speedometer for your calculations or a gps? Changing the tire size would require a speedometer adjustment to be accurate for speed or distance. Mine is all stock, I get 6 miles per 10% of SOC, I get that info from watching as I drive and it seems to click off pretty consistently. That said my longest run was 63 miles and I had 10% remaining so that kinda shoots holes in my 6 miles per 10% of battery charge. I'm not sure how accurate the gauges are, SOC, speed or distance.

Changing the tire diameter impacts efficiency during acceleration therefore better battery mileage, you also reduce your unsprung weight by having smaller tires which also improves efficiency and handling. On the other side a smaller tire is a bit rougher ride and reduces gearing therefore top speed (which you could fix via controller adjustment).

We really enjoy the cart so far. This is my first EV of any kind so its a nice way to dip your toe in before the world forces you into it fully. My only criticism is the sound/light bar, I'm not too worried about the sound but I'd much rather have turn and stop lights on teh back of the bar rather than disco lights or a red strip.
Give me a call at 863-812-1882, I will take care of the rear light for you. We have them in stock and you will be happy with the price. Thanks, Ray Hilliard
Old 03-20-2024, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The batteries in lithium powered golf carts operate the same way as they do in a Tesla. It's not just one big battery, it's a series of cells working in unison. As far as lifetime charging cycles according to STAR EV their battery is good for 3000+ cycles. If you charged your battery every single day you would get 8.2 years out of it. (3,000 divided by 365=8.2)
Old 03-20-2024, 11:44 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
The batteries in lithium powered golf carts operate the same way as they do in a Tesla. It's not just one big battery, it's a series of cells working in unison. As far as lifetime charging cycles according to STAR EV their battery is good for 3000+ cycles. If you charged your battery every single day you would get 8.2 years out of it. (3,000 divided by 365=8.2)
Absolutely correct. The only thing that we should add is the BMS (battery management system) considers 1 cycle as charging 100%. I.e. on Monday drive your cart down to 40% and charge it, the BMS will register as charging 60% of one charge cycle. Tuesday drive down to 60% and the BMS will register as charging 40% completing one entire charge cycle. After being in this business for 19 + years, I am very excited to ditch lead acid batteries. I know my back and shoulders wished it would've happened decades sooner!!
Old 03-20-2024, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Add in the noise, smell, inconvenience and hot butts from gas carts, it's no surprise Electric Carts outsell Gasoline carts, by a 4:1 margin.
Hopefully NASCAR isn't reading this!
Old 03-20-2024, 12:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Hopefully NASCAR isn't reading this!
If Art Arfons & Craig Breedlove were still around, they'd be running EV's at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Tags
evolution, lithium, battery, county, units

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.