Lose Gas and Choose Lithium, with Evolution Electric Vehicles

Old 03-20-2024, 01:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Add in the noise, smell, inconvenience and hot butts from gas carts, it's no surprise Electric Carts outsell Gasoline carts, by a 4:1 margin.
In the Villages?
Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
In the Villages?
I'm not sure The Villages is representative of the world at large. Besides it's probably the only retirement or golf community built in the last 20 years, that even allows gasoline carts.

I have been told (but it's obviously only anecdotal information), that Electric Golf Carts have been out-selling gasoline carts in The Villages over the last 2 years. It's inevitable. There hasn't been any improvements to gas powered carts, since Yamaha introduced Fuel Injection, 10 years ago.

If you were buying a golf cart 10 years ago, you didn't have a lot of choices. Even 5 years ago, choices were pretty limited if you didn't want gasoline powered. The world has changed and while things certainly change slower in TV than in other places, new gasoline power golf carts in TV, will be a novelty in another couple of years.

I get the people who bought gasoline powered Yamaha carts 5-10 years ago, defending their choice ... it was basically the only game in town. If I was in TV 10 years, I might have bought one too. It's a new world order and let's face it, gasoline carts are noisy, smelly, dirty, inconvenient and becoming more obsolete every day.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:53 PM

Choose the Hydrogen powered golf cart by Yamaha...
Old 03-20-2024, 01:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
Choose the Hydrogen powered golf cart by Yamaha...
They'll be real convenient, if they ever actually come on the market.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:22 AM

What happens when I run the cart dry on power? How many charging stations do you have to charge it up so I can make it home? Gas carts, I can get a gallon of gas from many gas stations in TV to make it to a station to fill it up.
Also, what is your mileage when the batteries are 5-8 years old? I can tell you it’s going to be less than what you have when new.
In 8 years, it’s going to cost many thousands of dollars to replace the lithium batteries. With a gas cart, you’ll be changing your oil and oil filter.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
What happens when I run the cart dry on power? How many charging stations do you have to charge it up so I can make it home? Gas carts, I can get a gallon of gas from many gas stations in TV to make it to a station to fill it up..
How many times have you run you car or cart out of gas? Don't you have a Gas Gauge?

& with an electric cart, you don't need to find a gas station, you can just plug it in to any outlet you can find ... for example, at anyone one of the 60,000 homes in TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Also, what is your mileage when the batteries are 5-8 years old? I can tell you it’s going to be less than what you have when new.
Lithium batteries don't deteriorate the same way as lead-acid batteries.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenCreekGolfCarts View Post
We have had numerous positive reviews from Villagers that purchased the Evolution D5 Ranger with the 205 AH Battery. Reports of 70 + miles per charge. Evolution has stepped up their game with an 8 year lithium battery warranty. We are located at 4707 County Road 156, units 306 & 307 in Wildwood. Come take a test drive and you will understand what the fuss is about.
Until electric vehicles can match range AND reconstitution time of gas vehicles, I’m not a buyer. Besides, on a good day visiting garage and estate sales in my gas cart, I can put 100 miles on my cart, the most was 125 miles and I still had over half a tank of gas. And it took 5 minutes to refill the tank.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:41 AM
Sage

I can believe the 4:1 ratio overall in the US but not in The Villages.

Quote:
Some folks are interested in moving to 21st Century technology, rather than being mired in the 1990's.

Add in the noise, smell, inconvenience and hot butts from gas carts, it's no surprise Electric Carts outsell Gasoline carts, by a 4:1 margin.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehendersonjr View Post
Until electric vehicles can match range AND reconstitution time of gas vehicles, I’m not a buyer. Besides, on a good day visiting garage and estate sales in my gas cart, I can put 100 miles on my cart, the most was 125 miles and I still had over half a tank of gas. And it took 5 minutes to refill the tank.
I want to know where people in The Villages are driving in their golf carts?

I've been here 3 years and exactly once, I went more than 40 miles (barely) in my golf cart.

The Fenney Grill to Nancy Lopez is 21 Miles. That's close to 2 hours in a golf cart. 5 hours to play golf ... another 6 miles. 21 miles home and you've gone 50 miles and spent NINE HOURS in your golf cart. Isn't that enough for a normal human being?

I bet the typical golf cart in TV, averages less than 20 miles a day ... & people are crowing about the 200 mile range their golf carts has? Where are you going in your cart? NYC?

The absurdity is mind boggling.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehendersonjr View Post
Impressive if true but eight hours in the seat of the cart plus the time spent perusing the sales seems hard to believe.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-21-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Just another reason to buy a Yamaha Quiet Tech which rides and handles more like a car and gets 250 miles per tank. Yamaha motor lasts over 20 years. Parts and Service available nationwide. Peace of mind.
Agreed! I'm very happy with mine and go 5.5 weeks between fill-ups. No range anxiety, costly battery replacement or fire risk in my garage.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Are you using the speedometer for your calculations or a gps? Changing the tire size would require a speedometer adjustment to be accurate for speed or distance. Mine is all stock, I get 6 miles per 10% of SOC, I get that info from watching as I drive and it seems to click off pretty consistently. That said my longest run was 63 miles and I had 10% remaining so that kinda shoots holes in my 6 miles per 10% of battery charge. I'm not sure how accurate the gauges are, SOC, speed or distance.

Changing the tire diameter impacts efficiency during acceleration therefore better battery mileage, you also reduce your unsprung weight by having smaller tires which also improves efficiency and handling. On the other side a smaller tire is a bit rougher ride and reduces gearing therefore top speed (which you could fix via controller adjustment).

We really enjoy the cart so far. This is my first EV of any kind so its a nice way to dip your toe in before the world forces you into it fully. My only criticism is the sound/light bar, I'm not too worried about the sound but I'd much rather have turn and stop lights on teh back of the bar rather than disco lights or a red strip.
The dealer adjusted my cart so the speed and mileage is accurate for the tire size. It's a simple parameter setting. Having said that, I have also matched it up with my gps, and it is spot on. And to clarify, smaller tires do not necessarily mean rougher ride. It's all about the amount of sidewall on the tire. If you have less sidewall, the ride will be rougher, if you have more, it will feel cushier. So you can go to a smaller rim, have the same amount of sidewall, yet smaller diameter tires and still get the same ride with a lower cart and more range.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
The batteries in lithium powered golf carts operate the same way as they do in a Tesla. It's not just one big battery, it's a series of cells working in unison. As far as lifetime charging cycles according to STAR EV their battery is good for 3000+ cycles. If you charged your battery every single day you would get 8.2 years out of it. (3,000 divided by 365=8.2)
That's not the way it works for lithium. You have vastly underestimated the life of the battery. It's good for 3000+ CYCLES, not charges. If my battery is at 75% and I charge it, it only counts for .25 cycles. This can be verified by using the bbms app on the Evolution where it shows current cycles on the battery. I've had my cart for 3 months, 1,000 miles, and have 15 cycles on, but have charged it at least 3 times a week since I got it.

Currently, I'm averaging 1 cycle per week which is pretty accurate.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
seems like this should be a paid advertisement - somewhere else
For one that who is looking at this as a possibility, I like hearing what other owners and non-owners have to say. Not just electric versus gas but good feedback on individual carts
Old 03-21-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure The Villages is representative of the world at large. Besides it's probably the only retirement or golf community built in the last 20 years, that even allows gasoline carts.

I have been told (but it's obviously only anecdotal information), that Electric Golf Carts have been out-selling gasoline carts in The Villages over the last 2 years. It's inevitable. There hasn't been any improvements to gas powered carts, since Yamaha introduced Fuel Injection, 10 years ago.

If you were buying a golf cart 10 years ago, you didn't have a lot of choices. Even 5 years ago, choices were pretty limited if you didn't want gasoline powered. The world has changed and while things certainly change slower in TV than in other places, new gasoline power golf carts in TV, will be a novelty in another couple of years.

I get the people who bought gasoline powered Yamaha carts 5-10 years ago, defending their choice ... it was basically the only game in town. If I was in TV 10 years, I might have bought one too. It's a new world order and let's face it, gasoline carts are noisy, smelly, dirty, inconvenient and becoming more obsolete every day.
I have an electric cart now, but I want to know about the evolution cart, is will the parts be available when they become necessary to replace. I have read a lot about Chinese carts, getting parts for them sometimes can be a nightmare compared to the big three. I really like this evolution cart, but I'm a little leery about longevity. How long have you sold these carts? How long will you sell these carts? I believe the parent company is hdk? How long will they be around, and how long will they honor the warranty? What if they decide to stop selling or go out of business? I like the price of the evolution compared to the big three, I'm just worried about longevity and parts availability.

Tags
evolution, lithium, battery, county, units

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.