Heron Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Default Heron Golf Course

Just played Heron. What a disgrace that course is!!! Every tee box and green are in extremely bad condition!!! The sand traps look like they haven't been raked in a week!! I know the courses get a lot of play but these conditions are from poor/lack of maintenance!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

I have reported the same for both Pelican and Heron over the last couple of years. I know it has been brought to the attention of course management by contact. And as long as the people continue to play and not complain they will never get any better. The t boxes are among the absolute worst in TV....and the greens are just as bad.

Compare these two golf courses to any two courses North of 466. The golf courses North of 466 are in SIGNIFICANTLY better maintenance condition. And I do not buy there is much more play South of 466.

Good maintenance (or bad) maintenance IS NOT a function of frequency of play.

Until more players complain....which won't happen (they don't take the time to repair ball marks on greens or patches in t boxes)....the crappy conditions will remain and worsen.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have reported the same for both Pelican and Heron over the last couple of years. I know it has been brought to the attention of course management by contact. And as long as the people continue to play and not complain they will never get any better. The t boxes are among the absolute worst in TV....and the greens are just as bad.

Compare these two golf courses to any two courses North of 466. The golf courses North of 466 are in SIGNIFICANTLY better maintenance condition. And I do not buy there is much more play South of 466.

Good maintenance (or bad) maintenance IS NOT a function of frequency of play.

Until more players complain....which won't happen (they don't take the time to repair ball marks on greens or patches in t boxes)....the crappy conditions will remain and worsen.
You are right. It is really shameful that golfers do not take the little effort required to repair ball marks on the greens or put sand on their patches in the tee boxes. Same thing goes for raking the bunkers after being in them.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree. I've been disappointed in the executive courses for quite awhile. I think part of the problem is that many of those courses are frequented by beginners or those who don't have a lot of knowledge about what good conditions are, so they don't know enough to complain. Then there's the mindset that if you complain you're a troublemaker. Sigh. Sometimes you just have to stand up for your rights, or what is due you, and to me, crummy conditions on golf courses in The Villages fall into that category.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

As to sanding the tee boxes on executive courses it was my understanding that the sand containers were removed because the maintenance crew preferred to sand the divots because they were not happy with the manner in which golfers attempted that task.

Secondly even with a temporary reduction in our population there are still plenty of people left. Southern Star and Red Fish are closed indefinitely and Bogart's9th hole also closed indefinitely . This is the time of year when several courses close because of transitional seasonal work.

These courses are played often and they are played hard. i can't speak to the issue of the quality of the maintenance people because I just don't know enough.

I do agree that many of these courses are in need of attention. I played heron last week and while I like this course did notice it was a bit shabby
but then we get what we pay for
Old 06-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,333 Times in 554 Posts

Heron is a league course too (men's) and too often I observed that the guys didn't take care of the course---raking traps, fixing ball marks and divots. These guys know better.

How many Village golfers carry a ball mark tool? I gave my wife one----say no more fellow!

Golfers can do better and I think maintenance staff can do better too. I noticed some of the Championship courses were shabby shape too. When I said something to an Ambassador the feedback was "I know". It has been reported but........

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.