Amature players within The Villages. Do they exist??

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2022, 06:03 PM
Default Amature players within The Villages. Do they exist??

Upon visiting and finally setting here in The Villages, I have been hearing both on and off notices about groups of golfers that roam the many golf courses around here attempting to play the game with little to no knowledge of the sport.

From what I have heard, they somehow can obtain tee times to some of the lesser played courses and try to play the game. They seem to play either as an attempt to fit into the community, or they feel they have to play just because they have access to the courses. When they do play, they use mismatched clubs that could have come from a rogue pawn shop or from an estate sale. One troupe I have heard about uses only one club for each and every shot, while another group uses whatever clubs they could get their hands on that may not be of any physical condition for play.

The object of the game for these amateur players is to hit the ball until it lands in the hole, no matter how many hits it may take or how it even gets into the hole. It may take them multiple hours to complete a game if they decide to finish a game played as they might just quit immediately through frustration. They even treat their clubs by tossing them about as if they were excess baggage or as a bunch of wooden sticks shoved in a narrow leather-type bag. No scores are taken either. It’s to play just for the sake of playing.

I have tried to find such groups going around to no avail. Has anyone spotted these groups of playing going around, and if so, how are they tolerated with others that play that have some knowledge of the rules of the game? And how are these inexperienced golf teams treated? Are they treated with hostility, or are they just ignored and play through until they are out of the way of others?

Thanks to all responders to this inquiry.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyPye View Post
Upon visiting and finally setting here in The Villages, I have been hearing both on and off notices about groups of golfers that roam the many golf courses around here attempting to play the game with little to no knowledge of the sport.

From what I have heard, they somehow can obtain tee times to ysome of the lesser played courses and try to play the game. They seem to play either as an attempt to fit into the community, or they feel they have to play just because they have access to the courses. When they do play, they use mismatched clubs that could have come from a rogue pawn shop or from an estate sale. One troupe I have heard about uses only one club for each and every shot, while another group uses whatever clubs they could get their hands on that may not be of any physical condition for play.

The object of the game for these amateur players is to hit the ball until it lands in the hole, no matter how many hits it may take or how it even gets into the hole. It may take them multiple hours to complete a game if they decide to finish a game played as they might just quit immediately through frustration. They even treat their clubs by tossing them about as if they were excess baggage or as a bunch of wooden sticks shoved in a narrow leather-type bag. No scores are taken either. It’s to play just for the sake of playing.

I have tried to find such groups going around to no avail. Has anyone spotted these groups of playing going around, and if so, how are they tolerated with others that play that have some knowledge of the rules of the game? And how are these inexperienced golf teams treated? Are they treated with hostility, or are they just ignored and play through until they are out of the way of others?

The source you heard this from? Does not sound reliable.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

From what I have heard, they somehow can obtain tee times to some of the lesser played courses and try to play the game. They seem to play either as an attempt to fit into the community, or they feel they have to play just because they have access to the courses. When they do play, they use mismatched clubs that could have come from a rogue pawn shop or from an estate sale. One troupe I have heard about uses only one club for each and every shot, while another group uses whatever clubs they could get their hands on that may not be of any physical condition for play.

Are you looking for playing partners? Would make sense as you stated in previous threads you have “little to no knowledge of the sport”.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Even taking lessons for a beginner is trial and error. How else does one learn beginning with the basics some adapt quite easily. And, so what if a new golfer starts off with mismatched clubs. In my early years I got a hand-me-down baseball glove a baseball or softball that was tapped up. Only when I got better did I purchase a new glove.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:47 PM

Any golfer that is not a professional would be considered an amatuer. So most, if not all golfers in TV would be amatuers with a wide range of skill. Beyond that, the main emphasis of your post seems demeaning, and I wonder what was your motivation

Last edited by Tom52; 07-19-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Have often played behind such groups.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2022, 05:40 AM

Ohh if we could all be expert golfers like the original poster and never miss a shot. But then, we would distain any of the amateur grade courses here in TV and not enjoy a fun round of of golf with our friends.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

"The object of the game for these amateur players is to hit the ball until it lands in the hole, no matter how many hits it may take"

Isn't that the objective over EVERY golfer, not just the amateurs?

There are players of every level on the executive courses. In general you'll find the players with a lower skill set on the easier courses (level one) though that is not always the case. This past January were playing El Santiago, and were behind a group of blind players. Each one had a helper who helped the golfer set up his stance, aim at the flag and locate the ball. Sure, they were slow. But it was great to see the group out there having fun AND it was gratifying to see the people with them, so willing to help.

Remember, they pay their amenity fee. As such they have as much right to be on the executive course as anyone else.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:

this is a joke, right?
Old 07-19-2022, 07:14 AM

Please don’t feed the trolls.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Excellent! You just (almost) perfectly described me. Primary difference being I don't throw/damage my equipment, my anger management skills are much more refined than that.

You DO realize, I hope, that golfing is like fishing and darts. They're really just excuses to drink and gamble. It's not really a "sport," per se, it's more like a beard for other less-socially acceptable activities.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 07-19-2022, 08:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Used the word Amatuer. From your post beleive that you are referring to beginners. To answer your question I have never seen any people who play golf and have a good understanding on the etiquette and courtesy of golfers at TV. Some play a little slower than others. Did have an encounter with a couple who were new to the game and they let us play through.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Troll, don't bother to comment.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:26 AM

Can you please provide a phone number or website for this group?
I want to join.
Thank you.

Quote:

Old 07-20-2022, 04:40 AM
Veteran member

Phony post ignore it .
Closed Thread

Tags
play, game, courses, groups, clubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.