Anyone know or talk to Ambassador/Starter

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Anyone know or talk to Ambassador/Starter

I'm just curious as to whether any of the folks here have talked with some of the ambassadors/starters "off campus" with a few beers..I hear folks say they have issues and are asked if they had complained or taken it up with proper authorities...Based on what I've heard from friends of mine that hold these jobs, they truly are powerless..They have little of no support from management and are in fear of losing their jobs if anyone complains about them...I know the image must be maintained, but by allowing this we are opening up the courses to abuse by the few a## s we run into periodically..Seems to be a political tightrope they are walking and thus have been castrated to a certain degree..I don't know the answer but thought this is "an elephant in the room" and ought to be brought up to the proper authorities..I know these guys work hard and are paid very little..For the life of me I don't know why they want the jobs but I applaud them and their always present smiles.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
I'm just curious as to whether any of the folks here have talked with some of the ambassadors/starters "off campus" with a few beers..I hear folks say they have issues and are asked if they had complained or taken it up with proper authorities...Based on what I've heard from friends of mine that hold these jobs, they truly are powerless..They have little of no support from management and are in fear of losing their jobs if anyone complains about them...I know the image must be maintained, but by allowing this we are opening up the courses to abuse by the few a## s we run into periodically..Seems to be a political tightrope they are walking and thus have been castrated to a certain degree..I don't know the answer but thought this is "an elephant in the room" and ought to be brought up to the proper authorities..I know these guys work hard and are paid very little..For the life of me I don't know why they want the jobs but I applaud them and their always present smiles.
What proper authorities did you contact??
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The starters and ambassadors have been doing a good job. Where I see problems are first with starters/ambassadors who are and act about as subtle as a train wreck. There is one guy who literally barked commands and golfers expressions told you what they were thinking. Secondly there are some golfers who have acted too emotionally, rudely, etc and in those circumstances I believe a starter /ambassador should have the same authority as an umpire....you're outta here. The problem of course is that such confrontations may well get out of hand.

So in support of starters and ambassadors each and every course ought to place in a very conspicious spot the rules of conduct while on the course and the penalty if they are not followed.

I have only come across three starters/ambasadorsin the six years living here that I believed ought to have found another occupation
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
I agree that its too bad the Ambassadors don't have a bit more power. They could help "slow play" if they were not afraid of losing their jobs.

The way I view it right now is that the Developer is using Golf as a marketing tool and doesn't want to upset "the apple cart." This is especially true with the executive golf courses where few golfers rake the traps or even carry a ball mark tool. Things might change when TV is built out.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Veteran member
Default they read too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What proper authorities did you contact??
Personally I haven't talked with anyone and would not want to...I asked these questions out of curiosity..I have no problem handling the few a##s I've run into on a course and I'm not an ambassador..I'm sticking up for them and asking why people think they really can handle problems when they are handicapped by mgmt...Guess what? Management reads this forum too.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Personally I haven't talked with anyone and would not want to...I asked these questions out of curiosity..I have no problem handling the few a##s I've run into on a course and I'm not an ambassador..I'm sticking up for them and asking why people think they really can handle problems when they are handicapped by mgmt...Guess what? Management reads this forum too.
I don't think management (whoever that is) reads this forum.
I too stick up for the ambassadors. You just stated you thought the issue should be brought up to the proper authorities.................posting on this forum will not accomplish that.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Ambassadors

Who is management of the ambassadors? I would like to write to complement some of the great ambassadors I have met and dealt. And fortunately for me, I have not run into any bad ones yet.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Who is management of the ambassadors? I would like to write to complement some of the great ambassadors I have met and dealt. And fortunately for me, I have not run into any bad ones yet.
If one does a good job see the Facility Managr or assistant and tell them about it. Most of the time they only hear complaints...

Ambassadors are "empowered" to protect the course and maintain pace of play. They will "ask for your asistance" in getting back in position. Like a cop following you on the highway their prescence usually does the trick. If any group has a problem of any kind the Ambassadors will attempt to make it right. It is a thankless job sometimes but the comraderie makes it fun....

We are charged with "Making the Villages the friendliest golf and country club experience in the world"
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Default disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I don't think management (whoever that is) reads this forum.
I too stick up for the ambassadors. You just stated you thought the issue should be brought up to the proper authorities.................posting on this forum will not accomplish that.
I absolutely disagree with the above statement..When they (mgmt) see a larger than one,me, response then it carries far more weight...And YES,they do read this...I was talking with a lady working in a starter shack, I'm not saying which one, who told me a tale of horror..She had asked a man not to drive across the grass with his cart at the shack..The man became so enraged he actually pushed the glass completely in at the shack window...She called management and they didn't even show up..To me this was borderline assault..If it had of been me I WOULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE..The net result was the man was suspended for 30 days..Big deal..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.