Beginner Golfer

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Default Beginner Golfer

I have never golfed before but I'd like to try. Group golf lessons are $225 WOW!

Then I found out that there is a trail fee?

Is there groups of beginners that go out together?

I am handicapped so I don't know if I can play an entire 9 holes but I want try.

So, I don't want to go through the expense of golf instructions and trail fees if I can't cut it.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
I have never golfed before but I'd like to try. Group golf lessons are $225 WOW!

I am handicapped so I don't know if I can play an entire 9 holes but I want try.

So, I don't want to go through the expense of golf instructions and trail fees if I can't cut it.

Any suggestions?
Frank - By your post, you are the guy I have been looking for, for 3 years. I am 80, been in TV for 3years and would like to get together with someone, do I can enjoy the "FREE" golf. If you are interested email me at hockyb2@yahoo.com and possibly this will be something for both of us
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Sage

Looks like a "beginner golf club" might be in order. I wonder how many new folks want to try golf but don't know where to start without investing a ton of money to find out if they even like the sport.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Sage

The driving range on Rolling Acres by the Wood Shop has golf instructors for much less than $225.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Bosoxfan

Before you go out as beginners to enjoy the golf, take the FREE good golf school held twice a month at Colony Cottage. It takes about 2 hours and will teach you some of the etiquette and how to use the tee time system. It is held twice a month, call 352-750-4558 to reserve your spot. Well worth your time.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold member
Default golf

Quote:

Any suggestions?
I strongly urge you to find some golf lessons somewhere. A few lessons will put you months ahead of where you would be without lessons and I guarantee you will enjoy the game much more.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I strongly urge you to find some golf lessons somewhere. A few lessons will put you months ahead of where you would be without lessons and I guarantee you will enjoy the game much more.
I agree, and spend plenty of time at the driving range. I would not recommend that you just got out on a course with no lessons or practice time. You'll be very frustrated as will everyone playing behind you.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Gold member

if your living in TV and you have a golf cart what are the costs of playing 9 holes.
Also, can someone tell me the cost of the driving ranges.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Golf is not a game that should be played by a new "golf club owner". You need to take at least 1 or 2 lessons minimum to learn how to hold the club and get basic swing theory. Then it's off to the driving range. Once you can hit the ball every time without missing, then you need to learn to get the ball up in the air. Once you can hit the ball and get it up in the air, then you can worry about tee times and trail fees. It might take 6 months, maybe longer.

But don't skip the lessons. The worst thing you can do is go to the range with no direction and try to figure it out yourself. You will develop life long bad habits. Practicing a bad swing is worse than not practicing at all.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you at the range.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Before you go out as beginners to enjoy the golf, take the FREE good golf school held twice a month at Colony Cottage. It takes about 2 hours and will teach you some of the etiquette and how to use the tee time system. It is held twice a month, call 352-750-4558 to reserve your spot. Well worth your time.

The trail fee is only $3.50.

PLEASE take the free lessons. It isn't as easy as it looks and keeping the pace of play and knowing the etiquette is important. If you lag behind the ambassador will point it out and you will hold up play for the course.

I say this to you kindly. I would and have said it to my own children and now to my grown grandchildren..
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Sage

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Welcome Frank. I am not a professional instructor, but have golfed for 30 years. I would be happy to spend a few hours at the driving range with you. You could get a feel if this is something you may or may not wish to pursue then go on to professional lessons and equip etc. Send me a private message if you like and we can set something up. This offer is good for anyone in the villages. Of course this offer is FREE for my Villages Neighbors.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Sage

FYI, Gracie, the trail fee is now $4. They have not changed the annual payment yet.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The trail fee is only $3.50.

PLEASE take the free lessons. It isn't as easy as it looks and keeping the pace of play and knowing the etiquette is important. If you lag behind the ambassador will point it out and you will hold up play for the course.

I say this to you kindly. I would and have said it to my own children and now to my grown grandchildren..
I no longer golf for several reasons (all physical)...anyway what Gracie and all the others here say is so true. Don't go out w/o knowing how the game is played, the etiquette for sure is important! Lessons for sure are needed...I'd go for the ones at Colony, especially if you're handicapped as you say. Good luck!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Hubby and I will be on Pimlico this afternoon.....I apologize now to everyone behind us!!!! We'll do our best. Actually, he's a golfer, although not like he used to be. I am a beginner and have been going to the driving range for a couple of weeks, now. We even played with some other people this past weekend, and didn't get any "looks" or ambassador visits. LOL

Anyway, what I think would be a fabulous idea (assume it's not already done) is if at least one of the courses could set aside a morning each week just for beginners. That way, everyone is understanding and patient. I know tee times can be hard to get, but afterall, they did sell us the place based on "free" golf, right, and one morning a week, on one course, shouldn't be too much to ask. Where's the suggestion box????
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Sage

I believe there are suggestion boxes at each of the mail stations. I love your idea and maybe they could even limit it to off season. FYI most of the executive courses are empty in the afternoons so if you can stand the heat that is an excellent time to learn and practice. Have fun - I'm new to golf and loving it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.