Beginner Golfer

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Some tips to offer, as a new golfer in TV...

Free lessons are worth the time.
Also...
Check with
WADE MARTIN
wade.martin@TheVillages.com
He is offering lessons for just $10 a session... SOON!
The sessions are divided into areas you might want lessons in...
for instance, I know 'bunkers' session is October 17th at 1pm... but you must sign up now... and Wade said at least 5 people must be signed up.There are other sessions for putting, chipping, etc...
I was going to sign up for the bunkers session, but I have a prior commitment that day.
(that is how I found out about this) (He was set up the other day at Oakley (exec course) ... just happened to find him!

Tip 3... When you begin, don't be afraid to pick up your ball, if you are 'double par'... it is recommended, to keep the play going, so a back up doesn't occur.
When I first started, I thought I was 'cheating'... but realized that it is important to not play too slowly, because a) people are waiting, and we all need to give everyone a chance to have some of the fun! :O)

Driving ranges are a great place to practice... !

Go with a person who does know the game, and the routine... who is willing to give you a few pointers. My husband is a patient man... and has helped me learn the ropes, but the people generally are very nice here, and willing to help.

Go at the mid day, to end... when there are fewer people playing. (right now, at least..) Later in the year, the crowds will come.

Keep you head down. ;O)
Enjoy, and remember it is a game. You can really have a lot of fun out there...! :O)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM

I agree.

The information is priceless and well worth your time. Even if you are a seasoned golfer there is wisdom to be shared about the Village Golf experience.

What are the significance of the stakes here? what is protcol ? all the details that will make you adapt to this new game.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Sage

""Tip 3... When you begin, don't be afraid to pick up your ball, if you are 'double par'... it is recommended, to keep the play going, so a back up doesn't occur.
When I first started, I thought I was 'cheating'... but realized that it is important to not play too slowly, because a) people are waiting, and we all need to give everyone a chance to have some of the fun! :O) ""

As a new golfer I have found double par to work quite nicely when you are figuring out your score. Par x 2!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Before you go out as beginners to enjoy the golf, take the FREE good golf school held twice a month at Colony Cottage. It takes about 2 hours and will teach you some of the etiquette and how to use the tee time system. It is held twice a month, call 352-750-4558 to reserve your spot. Well worth your time.
I called that phone number and was told that the lesson is how to get a tee time. The only golf lessons are through The Villages (at least that's what they are told to say). There must be some volunteers out there that would enjoy showing others their skills.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Sage

I'd go off campus, treetops for example, and ask about lessons
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM

They just up it to 4.00
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
They just up it to 4.00
What?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Before you go out as beginners to enjoy the golf, take the FREE good golf school held twice a month at Colony Cottage. It takes about 2 hours and will teach you some of the etiquette and how to use the tee time system. It is held twice a month, call 352-750-4558 to reserve your spot. Well worth your time.
This is great advice. The good golf school will NOT teach you the grip or the swing etc. but WILL teach you how to be a good steward of the golf courses and how to enjoy the game without disturbing the enjoyment of others. Golf is one of the few games that one can play between people of widely different capabilities and yet all can have fun without disturbing the others' game. The main thing is to keep moving, don't search long for lost balls, pick up when you obviously are slowing play or when you have doubled par (six strokes on a par 3 hole for example). Take Golfingnut up on his offer, Lou is a good guy and I'm sure can help get you started. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran member
Default new t golf school

Quote:

I'd check with the Villages Golf Academy too..I took a "New To Golf " class about 1 1/2 yrs ago...There were 6 students, It was a week long, and the cost was around 150 bucks..Absolutely worth every penny..Everyone got lessons in all phases of stroke play, full swing, chipping.putting,etc. In addition one day was spent at their driving range (around back). The class went onto a Palmer course and played a best ball hole...Lot's of fun and not intimidating in any way...And of course, all through the lessons, basic rules and ettiquette are stressed and explained thoroughly..
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
Hubby and I will be on Pimlico this afternoon.....I apologize now to everyone behind us!!!! We'll do our best. Actually, he's a golfer, although not like he used to be. I am a beginner and have been going to the driving range for a couple of weeks, now. We even played with some other people this past weekend, and didn't get any "looks" or ambassador visits. LOL

Anyway, what I think would be a fabulous idea (assume it's not already done) is if at least one of the courses could set aside a morning each week just for beginners. That way, everyone is understanding and patient. I know tee times can be hard to get, but afterall, they did sell us the place based on "free" golf, right, and one morning a week, on one course, shouldn't be too much to ask. Where's the suggestion box????
I contacted someone on the VCCD website and emailed them this message...

I was searching for a suggestion box but could not find one. I am fairly new to the villages and I am a beginner golfer. The $225 fee for golf lessons may be worth it but it's not in my budget. I have been in conversations with people on "The Talk of the Villages" and I am to find out that there are a few (and probably many more) beginner golfers out here. A suggestion would be to have one morning at a fairly easy golf course set aside for beginners only. This way it won't interfere with more advanced golfers. I would be nice if there was a volunteer experienced golfer to be one of the foursome to give some direction of the do's and don'ts on a golf course.

THE REPLY WAS: Hi Frank; The best I can do is give you this Ph# and tell you these are the people you need to talk to. Sorry Keith
Call today to schedule your Free Consultation or for more information: 259-8121

If enough beginners call, maybe they will take our suggestions seriously.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I called there and they knew nothing about free golf etiquette. I wrote to VCDD and this is what they sent me:
Good Afternoon Frank…

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Hopefully you can find a way to begin playing our great game of golf!

I appreciate your suggestion, and while it has a lot of merit and would be great, unfortunately there are many factors that would prohibit such a situation.

However, there are many alternatives to consider.

First, have you attended our complimentary good golf school yet?? If not, I’d suggest starting there first; it’s a 3 hour class that will teach you what you need to know as a new golfer from a participant standpoint, proper etiquette and care of the course, and general information about golf in The Villages. It will also teach you how to obtain a tee time. We host these events on a regular basis and you can register by calling Golf Administration at 753-3396.

Additionally, we are creating an introduction to golf class at the Golf Academy, that will be far less expensive that the New to Golf program we offer…it will be a great opportunity for you to learn about the game and gets some hands on exposure. I will send your name to the Academy and ask them to contact you with details when available to see if you are interested.

Lastly…there are many slow times on the golf courses you can strategically plan your golf around so as not to feel pressured by more experienced golfers. Granted the courses are very full in the winter months, but 9 months out of the year, with a little flexibility, you will be able to find plenty of these opportunities.

Hope this helps…wishing you the best!

Erik
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.