Beginning golfers and unrealistic golfers.

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
tomwed: you have touched on a part of the problem. We have some folks who take this game very seriously, play it well and with the bravado that comes with it, and some who view it as fun...passing the time.

I am indeed a stickler for ready play, rules of the game and good golf etiquette but the strict regimentation attempted to be imposed by USGA, PGA ,local clubs,and some golfers upon others is taking the joy out of the game.

First of all what % of golfers in The Villages actually and consistently hit the green on one (executive) or two strokes (championship par 4)? I have played with a few who can but not most and even those guys often end up with three putts. etc etc etc (hitting a long ball v. hitting a well targeted ball)

As to executive course some may require "play it forward" and some not. Pelican is a prime example where if a golfer can't hit a long ball then it would be wise to move forward.

I do not believe people should be concerned about what tees other golfers choose. In that same vein I believe golfers have an obligation to utilize "in the pocket" when appropriate because the last thing I want to hear from a golfer is "I ain't giving up" as they hit their upteenth shot.

Its the "absolutes" many of us have trouble dealing with and so I say with a "friendly intent" you play your game and I will play mine
Very well said I think. The fastest foursome I've seen is one running up to tee box, hit, run to cart, cart to ball, run to ball, hit, run to green, put and run to next tee box. A good way to snap an ankle, but hey. Must be a new game.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
First of all what % of golfers in The Villages actually and consistently hit the green on one (executive) or two strokes (championship par 4)? I have played with a few who can but not most and even those guys often end up with three putts. etc etc etc (hitting a long ball v. hitting a well targeted ball)
I agree with most of this, except CONSISTENTLY needs clarification. The PGA tour average greens in regulation (92nd out of 184) is 66.3% or 12 greens/round. I think a better yardstick is whether a golfer can hit it far enough from a given set of tees to reach the par 4's, not that they actually hit them. Using Evans Prairie as an example, you should be able to hit 2 shots 460 to play blacks, 435 for gold, 410 for blue and 365 for white. These are really the minimum distances unless you want to be hitting 3 wood to every green
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Sage

How long is an exec round? 75 minutes? 8 minutes a hole?
Play wherever you want. As long as you're done in 8 minutes.
You want to have a lot of fun? Play from the drop zones.
You want to get better? Keep changeling yourself. Same as any other endevor, inclueding spelling.
How many times have you teed off late?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Same as any other endevor, inclueding spelling.
very funny
Closed Thread

Tags
golfers, tees, quickly, stay, long, devote, time, addicting, find, game, green, gold, executive, morning, musings, courses, black, choice, astonished, veteran, dust, choose, folks, amazed, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.