Belle Glade 02/25/2024

Old 02-25-2024, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts
Default Belle Glade 02/25/2024

Played Belle Glade today (Seminole to Calusa).

I have to say, the greens were in very good shape, as were the fairways and most of the tee boxes (a few were a bit too sandy, but you're hitting off of a tee, no big deal...)

-Tom Petty
Old 02-25-2024, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Played Belle Glade today (Seminole to Calusa).

I have to say, the greens were in very good shape, as were the fairways and most of the tee boxes (a few were a bit too sandy, but you're hitting off of a tee, no big deal...)
I played the same rotation today; everything was in good shape, my only complaint was the greens were a lot slower than Southern Oaks.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I played the same rotation today; everything was in good shape, my only complaint was the greens were a lot slower than Southern Oaks.
Actually, it's more like the greens at Southern Oaks are faster than most in TV. Last week Ron (manager) put a Stimpmeter on the greens there and it was 11.2---almost unheard of here---I usually find they run more like 8. Wish every course had greens that good---now let's see how long it lasts......
Old 02-26-2024, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, it's more like the greens at Southern Oaks are faster than most in TV. Last week Ron (manager) put a Stimpmeter on the greens there and it was 11.2---almost unheard of here---I usually find they run more like 8. Wish every course had greens that good---now let's see how long it lasts......
Played Souther Oaks this morning...

Yes the greens were fast. But they were also quite hard. Approach shots weren't sticking very well. More than a few nice, high approach shots rolled off the back of the green...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-26-2024, 05:51 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Ron is selling.

No way 11.

Fun to dream
Old 02-26-2024, 05:53 PM
Sage

Yes, Belle is in pretty good shape.

Enjoyed it last Saturday.

Bonifay is holding up nicely.
Played today................no issues.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Ron is selling.

No way 11.

Fun to dream
I don't think so. I play regularly on greens that run from 7 (usually here in TV) to 13 (PGA National, Copperhead, and Waldorf Astoria Club). I played that day and I totally believe they were 11.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:16 AM
Smile Great to here!

Nice to hear positive comments about the golf courses. Southern Oaks is the newest course so the greens will be harder and faster. Give it time, but, enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
I don't think so. I play regularly on greens that run from 7 (usually here in TV) to 13 (PGA National, Copperhead, and Waldorf Astoria Club). I played that day and I totally believe they were 11.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
I totally believe they were 11.

I totally believe NOT.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Nice to hear positive comments about the golf courses. Southern Oaks is the newest course so the greens will be harder and faster. Give it time, but, enjoy it while you can.
I agree, it’s nice to hear positive comments about golf courses. In fact, I listen to comments closely when deciding where to make T times. That being said, factual negative comments can be just as helpful when deciding where not to play. The greens at Riley Grove (Palmer) are much newer than Southern Oaks and have gone to crap, which is disturbing. The greens at Mallory and Hacienda are old and are in great shape, which proves age doesn’t necessarily correlate with conditions.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:27 PM
Default Turf grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I agree, it’s nice to hear positive comments about golf courses. In fact, I listen to comments closely when deciding where to make T times. That being said, factual negative comments can be just as helpful when deciding where not to play. The greens at Riley Grove (Palmer) are much newer than Southern Oaks and have gone to crap, which is disturbing. The greens at Mallory and Hacienda are old and are in great shape, which proves age doesn’t necessarily correlate with conditions.
Still fairly new here and still learning. The turf grass here, both on the courses and in the yards, makes this place far more attractive (to me) than what I was expecting. It is mostly just gorgeous, at least in the summer time, though the crisp right angles of many of the edged lawns is still pretty cool, even now.

I've been told that much of the variation that I've seen in the greens on various courses is due to the differences in the types of grass used. I find that hard to believe, but happy to be further educated.

Each of my few outings on the championship courses had perfectly fine greens. The greens on the executives, at least until recently, were satisfactory, though notably "different" from the championships. My last few outings on a couple of the Pitch and Putts found the greens to be in considerably better condition than with any of my recent executive course experiences.

The Tarpon Boil thing remains quite the mystery to me, but the aspect that intrigues me the most is how much is known about "why" all these differences exist. What are the variables, and how relatively important is each of those variables, and whether that info is readily available (other than the speculations that I often hear/read)? Does anyone "know" if the Tarpon Boil problem is a fungus, for example?

Oh, and I watched the recent video of the Truman nine where balls with one of the pin placements could apparently not be made to stop within eight or ten feet of the hole (without going *into* said hole) without rolling back to a "collection area". There was interesting speculation about 3° of slope around a pin placement being reasonable while 4° would not be. I suppose the numbers would also vary with any given Stimpmeter reading.

Anyway, there's lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum and I get a kick out of learning from them. Seems some may have some "inside" info from "the horse's mouth". Do these horses regularly publish anything about the subject where peons like myself could learn more about why things are the way they are. Or, are they something like "trade secrets"?

I understand that affordable compromises for the executive courses make sense, and I think that they've found a pretty reasonable set of them. I've enjoyed playing them. But, I still remain *very* curious about why some greens "hold" and others do not - or even allow or don't allow the production of "ball marks". Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

I totally believe NOT.
Did you play there that day?????

If not, well.........
Old 02-27-2024, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Did you play there that day?????

If not, well.........
Four times.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:41 PM
Default Wrong location

For some reason, golf posts keep appearing in the general comments section. There is a separate area for this.
Just saying.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
For some reason, golf posts keep appearing in the general comments section. There is a separate area for this.
Just saying.
Dear Just saying,

This discussion is in "Golf in The Villages" within "Recreation in The Villages". Where exactly else, would you prefer it to appear?

Tags
belle, glade, tee, sandy, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.