Bonifay pace of play

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Default Slow Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
As Mikeod stated well, golf etiquette requires that golfers to keep pace with the group ahead of them. I too golf to enjoy the game, the outdoors and the company of friends. That doesn't give me the right to slow down the course for everyone behind me.

Knowing and following golf's rules of etiquette actually makes golf more enjoyable; and it's something all of us can do, regardless of skill level.

I'm not a good golfer, but at least I'm a good sport.

I have observed that too many golfers don't know how to play ready golf. Drop your playing partner at his ball and go to your ball, play your shot and then pick up your partner. You don't need to wait untill it is your turn if your in the left rough and another player is in the right rough but a few yards further from the green.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I don't know about everyone else..When I golf it's to enjoy my time with friends
Not to play speed golf. I enjoy my round.The villages has over 9000 tee times a day. Expecting a fast round of golf less than 4 hours is out of the question.
Just my view
You're right, with that attitude we should never expect to play in under five hours. Maybe some people should only play executive golf courses. Just my view
Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Default slow play

You're right karostay except that over four and one half hours is unreasonable.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM

You are someone I would not want to be behind on a golf course. If you can't play in 4 hrs. and 15 mins, you should not be out there.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Gold member

that's pretty harsh, bucks county.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Location: Currently in New Freedom PA. 2012, A Village of Sanibel resident

I thought we were suppose to be relaxing, and enjoying ourselves, our friends and the scenery. I do play quicker, but I would not get my knickers in a wad if a group in front of me were having their difficulties. They are trying their best, and loving life. That's great for them.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJohn View Post
I thought we were suppose to be relaxing, and enjoying ourselves, our friends and the scenery. I do play quicker, but I would not get my knickers in a wad if a group in front of me were having their difficulties. They are trying their best, and loving life. That's great for them.
No problem with people trying their best. A round of golf is not primarily a social event. It is a sport with opportunities to enjoy each others' company during the round when waiting for the fairway or green to clear. All that is required is to be ready to play when those are clear. That way everyone else on the course can enjoy the round as well, both from a golfing aspect and a conviviality aspect.

In my experience, slow play is less likely to be caused by skill level, than other factors. I have played with people who may shoot in triple figures, but don't dawdle over a shot and recognize that they may be taking longer to complete a hole than standard. They are ready to play when it's their turn and they use tees appropriate to their skill level.

On the other hand, I have played behind "good" golfers who were never ready to play, took inordinate amounts of time to choose a club, took an incredible number of practice swings both before and after the shot, and elected to replay a putt a few times before leaving the green.

I don't think anyone minds waiting a few minutes on a tee while the group in front hits their shots or putts. But when you get to a tee and there are already two groups waiting to play, something is wrong.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
No problem with people trying their best. A round of golf is not primarily a social event. It is a sport with opportunities to enjoy each others' company during the round when waiting for the fairway or green to clear. All that is required is to be ready to play when those are clear. That way everyone else on the course can enjoy the round as well, both from a golfing aspect and a conviviality aspect.

In my experience, slow play is less likely to be caused by skill level, than other factors. I have played with people who may shoot in triple figures, but don't dawdle over a shot and recognize that they may be taking longer to complete a hole than standard. They are ready to play when it's their turn and they use tees appropriate to their skill level.

On the other hand, I have played behind "good" golfers who were never ready to play, took inordinate amounts of time to choose a club, took an incredible number of practice swings both before and after the shot, and elected to replay a putt a few times before leaving the green.

I don't think anyone minds waiting a few minutes on a tee while the group in front hits their shots or putts. But when you get to a tee and there are already two groups waiting to play, something is wrong.

You are so right again, Mikeod, in my very humble opinion of not playing very good golf but playing a LOT of golf for forty years.

Only part of the trouble I suspect are people who are beginners to golf or haven't played much private club golf and haven't been exposed to the expectations of etiquette on the course in a golf community. It isn't harsh Mudder. It is really just what PTurner said. It is nice manners and thinking about all of the folks out there who are moving along in one big wave. If you are taking mulligans and too many practice swings and chatting too much and changing clubs after you address the ball and not keeping your cart and golf club ready for your next shot and watching your ball and the shots of your foursome...then you are holding someone back. These are ageless timeless expectations of the ladies and gentlemen who play this silly and addictive game.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.