Brag a little about famous courses you have played.

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 PM
SNOK

The best course I have played is Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa. It is a world class layout that has hosted a US Open, several PGA Championships, a couple of Tour Championships and a US Amateur Championship. I served as a marshall for several of those tournaments. I live only two blocks from it (at least for now, until we move to TV later this year). Also played TPC Sawgrass a few years ago. Hope to do that again when I become a Florida resident. Another neat course I played a few years ago is the Boone Valley Golf Club just outside St. Louis, MO.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Torrey Pines- playing the course was part of my 50th birthday present to myself several years ago. The other part was tandem paragliding off the cliffs of La Jolla
Old 07-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Just like most of the other posters, I have played a number of "famous" courses, but one of my favorites was the classic Inverness Country Club in Toledo, Ohio.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Playing good courses is only a small measure of achievenmet. Where you have played is nothing more than a measurse of the fact that you have a lot of frivilious money available to play expensive courses or in many other cases, exploited businesss oportunities that resusted in free rounds at great courses.

Simply having played a number of courses is worth a lot less than how you played these courses. Case in point, a 98 at Pebblebeach with a par on # 18 is memorable. Breaking 100 at Spyglass hill was memorable also. Breaking 100 from the back tees at PGA West Stadium Course is an accomplishment. Finishing standing up at the Monster at the Concord Hotel in the Catskill Mountains is noteworthy, Shooting in the low to mid 90s at the Doral Blue Monster is worth remembering,

Have played Oak Hill CC in Rochester Ny many times and scored in the 80s. No, I didn't play the back tees the pros play.

Also played the CC of Rochesrter, past home of a US Womans open and did not embarress myself. Played many rounds at Locust Hill CC in Rochester, annual home of the Wegmans Classic. Was able to get around there in the high 70s and low 80s.

And believe it or not, the most memorable round I ever played was at Cane Garden here in The Villages, when I shot 70 after my 71st Birthday I could go on and on about the significance of five Hole in Ones, each of which brought more satisfaction and pleasure than hacking my way around another number of notable venus where no achievenents are realized.

It's not where you play that matters, it's how you play! Snobs and Rich People like to brag about where they have played. It's what you accomplished there that matters most.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quite the accomplishments gemlady. You have bragging rights in my book.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Sage
Default Have to disagree, Gemlady

I think the purpose of this thread is for people to tell others about the courses they have played. Yes, maybe bragging a little. It may stimulate some talk between people about those courses. To me, it matters not what someone shot on that course, nor how they got on the course. Sure some have more disposable income than others, or contacts that open these courses to them. So what! For others, it may be something that was on their "bucket list", and therefore worth whatever it cost them. I once played the Old Course with a gentleman from the U.S. whose lifelong desire was to play there. He was so excited to be actually teeing it up that he played horribly for the first several holes. Do you think his day was less wonderful because of that? Did it make his experience less noteworthy? Would it be wrong of him if he posted here since he didn't play well?

You write that "Snobs and Rich People like to brag about where they have played" yet that is exactly what you did.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:59 PM

In the early 70's, while in the USN stationed in England, I was fortunate enough to have joined some "flyboys" who took annual trips to Scotland to get in some air time and to play golf. I made two trips with them and played The Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie, and both the Kings Course and the Queens Course at Gleneagles, among other lesser known courses there. My most memorable moment was when I took 13 strokes trying to get out of a bunker on the Old Course, which required climbing down a ladder in order to enter the bunker. It was a horrible experience but one which I will always remember. Another great course which is here in Florida is the Slammer and Squire at the World Golf Village in St Augustine. Unfortunately I was a hacker then and am a hacker to this day with only occasional flashes of greatness (self satisfaction).
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Gemlady-
Just a touch of hypocrisy there, no?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Bosoxfan

I was lucky enough to play TPC River Highlands in CromwellCt.My brother who was my best man in 1996 knew a member .He did this for me as a surprise bachelor party. I don't remember my score but I'll always remember the feeling.of playing a course where I watched the pros play many times...Thanks bro!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Golf

Most famous would be Pinehurst, Doral, Bethpage and Muirfield. Have been fortunate played all over - Alaska, Oregon, Califonia, Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, Mass., New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas.

They are all great, no matter where you play. Golf is a great game.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Default famous courses you've played

Doral Blue Course, Bay Hill, Olympia Fields (Chicago), Innesbrook, Oakmont in Pittsburgh (hubby played this one). One of the courses at Olympia Fields only allowed women on one of their courses once a year. I happened to be there and was allowed to play it with hubby. I don't know what all the fuss was about. It was difficult but so are all the great courses. I was much younger then and a much better golfer.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I think the purpose of this thread is for people to tell others about the courses they have played. Yes, maybe bragging a little. It may stimulate some talk between people about those courses. To me, it matters not what someone shot on that course, nor how they got on the course. Sure some have more disposable income than others, or contacts that open these courses to them. So what! For others, it may be something that was on their "bucket list", and therefore worth whatever it cost them. I once played the Old Course with a gentleman from the U.S. whose lifelong desire was to play there. He was so excited to be actually teeing it up that he played horribly for the first several holes. Do you think his day was less wonderful because of that? Did it make his experience less noteworthy? Would it be wrong of him if he posted here since he didn't play well?

You write that "Snobs and Rich People like to brag about where they have played" yet that is exactly what you did.
I looked to read other posts from Gem Lady 'cause I was the one who encouraged you all to brag. Gem Lady has been banned.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
I have played the Kola golf course on Oahu several times. This course is advertised as the most difficult course in the U.S. I scored an 84 the first time I played there and felt like I scored below par. No need to look for your ball if you miss the short grass, you will never find it in the jungle. By the way, it is also the most beautiful course I have seen. The website will display all the holes for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.koolaugolfclub.com/golf.cfm
I would agree I have played that course many times...but the Turtle Bay course is really great also. My goal is to play GPA and LPG courses....so TCP Saw grass, made a par on 17, The Rail, State Farm Classic, Turtle Bay, SB'S Open, Kalina, Fields Open, Broadmoor, US Womens Open, to name a few.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Having served in the USAF for over 21 years I've been fortunate to travel to quite a few nice courses. While serving in Europe, I spent 10 days in Scotland and got to play Carnoustie and St. Andrews (New, Eden Jubilee as well as the Old Course). For 8 of the 10 days (we went in May 1993) the weather was gorgeous. On the days we played Carnoustie and St. Andrews is was very cold, rained all day with 30 mph winds. I shot a 90 in the morning at Carnoustie and an 89 in the afternoon (which I was very proud of). My handicap at the time was a 4 so you can imagine how tough the conditions were. But I enjoyed every minute of it and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.