Sage
Thanked 12,956 Times in 4,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Tell me again how much fun golf is.
It's always fun. It's more fun when people obey the rules of etiquette
Old 11-23-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,795 Times in 3,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Tell me again how much fun golf is.

It's a blast.
Everyone has a different definition of golf.

Just like the different definitions of:
Parking
Virus protection
Cart path speed
Dog poop locations
Developer greed
Politics
Quality art
Home construction quality
etc
etc

Old 11-23-2020, 02:01 PM

Ranking is optional. Many people don’t want to pick up a rake because of the virus. Don’t want to touch the rake after other people. We play if in the bunker in an unraked area, we simple replace the ball
Old 11-23-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,956 Times in 4,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyhope View Post
Ranking is optional. Many people don’t want to pick up a rake because of the virus. Don’t want to touch the rake after other people. We play if in the bunker in an unraked area, we simple replace the ball
The sad part is that even if I provided the data on the almost non-existent surface to human transmission of COVID-19, those people would STILL feel the same way. I gave up talking to the brick walls 6 weeks ago.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Well pro shuffler....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dronsfield View Post
Perhaps you should learn more about the game that you just slammed. If you had taken the time to actually learn to play the real game of shuffleboard you would find there is much more to it than pushing a disc. I am a District, State, National and International Champion, inducted into 2 Hall of Fames and 2 time FSA Masters Champion. I teach many in the Villages and outside to play shuffleboard properly. There is more strategy in this game than any other you will ever play. Etiquette is equal to golf as I play both.

Al
I've been playing competitive golf since the late 60's....3 club championships, one
Tricity and numerous USGA events in Maine. Know most of the general rules by heart and the etiquette by heart.

No idea what you're referring to about strategy, but I'd happily place my -2 hndcp against you any day.

It would appear from your post that you misinterpreted my post entirely....
Old 11-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Nope. You would be incorrect...

Quote:
Unlike many I actually checked with the starter and ambassador...raking is not optional since they put the rakes back into the bunkers.

People who don't rake probably don't rake at any time...china virus or not. There is no way to make people rake. Perhaps if they carried the proper disinfectant like I do they could alleviate the worry, but I suspect they'd find another lame excuse not to do what they should.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Unlike many I actually checked with the starter and ambassador...raking is not optional since they put the rakes back into the bunkers.

You and the starter and ambassador are wrong. IT IS OPTIONAL. Call The Villages Golf & Tennis and learn. Raking only needs to be done if the golfer is comfortable doing so.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I've been playing competitive golf since the late 60's....3 club championships, one
Tricity and numerous USGA events in Maine. Know most of the general rules by heart and the etiquette by heart.

No idea what you're referring to about strategy, but I'd happily place my -2 hndcp against you any day.

Why would such a fantastic competitive golfer with a -2 handicap ever buy a home in The Villages???

Before we bought here we played most of the Championship courses and several of the Executive courses and it was VERY OBVIOUS what we were buying into: less than average design level golf courses with less than average quality of course upkeep and with, at best, average level golfers mingled with lots of people just taking up golf.

We made the decision that this was acceptable and consequently we enjoy our golfing life in The Villages.
We don’t spend our valuable time complaining about the courses, the course conditions and ignorant fellow golfers.

It seems some of us didn’t do their due diligence about the quality of golf here and should probably seriously consider moving to a highly rated and gated community with true country club and/or true championship level golf courses.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
Why would such a fantastic competitive golfer with a -2 handicap ever buy a home in The Villages???

Before we bought here we played most of the Championship courses and several of the Executive courses and it was VERY OBVIOUS what we were buying into: less than average design level golf courses with less than average quality of course upkeep and with, at best, average level golfers mingled with lots of people just taking up golf.

We made the decision that this was acceptable and consequently we enjoy our golfing life in The Villages.
We don’t spend our valuable time complaining about the courses, the course conditions and ignorant fellow golfers.

It seems some of us didn’t do their due diligence about the quality of golf here and should probably seriously consider moving to a highly rated and gated community with true country club and/or true championship level golf courses.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:

It's a long read so I guess you missed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Just as an FYI this is still in effect as per USGA and is listed under "Temporary Posting under Covid Modifications" in The Villages "Golf The Villages"

Golf The Villages

"BUNKERS AND BUNKER RAKES

It is a normal part of the game to place a responsibility on all players to smooth sand in a bunker from which they have played. Committees have many options as to how to treat bunkers, which are largely dependent on the resources available.

In some cases, a committee may decide their best option is to remove all bunker rakes from the course. When this is done, it is possible for a player’s ball to come to rest in an unmaintained area of sand.
At minimum, it would be advisable to encourage players to try their best to smooth the disturbed area with a foot or a club after playing their ball from a bunker.
If you require cart use or most players at your course use a golf cart, the best approach might be to assign a rake to every golf cart, allowing players to operate as normal.
An additional option includes changing the status of bunkers to be part of the general area. This would give players additional options under multiple relief rules (Rules 16 and 19) and would remove the restrictions normally in effect under Rule 12.
Ground under repair could be used in two different manners. The first being to declare all bunkers to be ground under repair and treat them as part of the general area. This would allow players the option to take free relief outside the bunker under Rule 16.1. The second is to treat disturbed areas only as ground under repair. This would still allow a player free relief from such areas, but would require such relief to be taken elsewhere within the bunker.
As a last resort, a committee may add a preferred lies Local Rule that would allow a player to place the ball elsewhere in a bunker without penalty (such as within one club-length of where the ball came to rest). While that may seem like a good option in that it requires players to play from the bunker, there will be times when no effective relief would be available to a player, such as when a bunker is frequently played from and large areas are unraked. It would be recommended that the other options, such as those listed above, are considered first, noting that using the ground under repair options above ensure a player will get full relief and, when dropping from knee height, balls very rarely plug.
If a committee wishes for bunkers to be maintained, additional options include:
Make golf carts mandatory and supply a bunker rake to every player. The bunker rake handle must be cleansed prior to use on the golf cart. Each player may then use that rake after playing a stroke from a bunker.
Have one person walk with every group who is dedicated to raking bunkers for the group. This individual would be the only person who uses the bunker rake.
Leave all rakes on the course and provide every player with liquid sanitizer or cleansing wipes that would be used to disinfect the rake prior to and after each use, or alternatively, have players sanitize their hands after touching a bunker rake and before touching anything else (such as their golf club, bag or face).
If a committee takes any of the above actions, it is at the discretion of the committee whether scores would be acceptable for handicap purposes."
Since you know most of the rules by hart, maybe you need a refresher.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Since you know most of the rules by hart, maybe you need a refresher.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Many people never wanted to touch the rake. Now they have an excuse for being disrespectful to others.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Gold member

It's optional during this pandemic. Many don't want to touch a rake. It's the same reason why you still can't get water out on the course.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 AM
Gold member

Yep, your correct. It is optional right now. It's probably 50/50 right now who rake. There are more important things to worry about. Be glad we can still golf. Geeesshhhhhhh
Old 11-24-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
It's optional during this pandemic. Many don't want to touch a rake. It's the same reason why you still can't get water out on the course.
Do you believe all players maintain a six foot social distance separation? Sure on the fairway but at the tee box and on the green, most of the time no. Yet they don’t want to touch the rake and if they don’t maybe they should wear a mask at the tee box and green until it’s their turn to address the ball. Having played here frequently on championship courses, many golfers have an aversion to raking the sand trap even before covid gave them an excuse. Same goes for not fixing ball marks on the green or filling divots at the tee box or in the fairway.
Closed Thread

Tags
rake, bunker, bunkers, ladies, rakes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.