Championship & exec greens in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM

The greens here on the Championship courses are so bad its not even funny for the amount of money these courses rake in during the year. GMS is a joke the top tier people making big money for what sitting in an office all day and low balling bids for course maintenance so their salaries are higher , The Facility managers aka head pros bigger jokes if they were top level pros which they aren't they are just "Yes Men" they would speak up and not put up with horrid conditions on their courses, don't get me started on the ranges here very poor grass at Sarasota they should have perfect grass with the amount of money they make daily might be the worst range I have ever stepped foot on. If The Villages keep letting these landscape companies with inexperienced workers take care of the courses here things are only going to get worse.

Glenview - 1
Mallory - 1
Cane Jacaranda 2
Cane Alamanda 1
Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Gold member

Played Mallory yesterday (Amelia to Caroline). Happy to report the course was in very good condition, with greens nicely maintained with decent speed. I noticed right away that the fairways were better, and there is grass in the rough where there was only hard pan last year.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Gold member

srixongolf 1197 is right on in his assessment of Village golf.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Sage

srixongolf doesn't have even the slightest clue.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
Thanks for the update. I live near Cane and I looks a lot better than most. Haven't played it for two weeks. Do you know how long Allamanda will be closed and why?
Closed just for the one day due to routine maintenance activities.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Gold member

mulligan,you might bewrong.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think there are some times of year when particular courses are in decent condition, but looking at them year round, I'd rate them about a 2.5 out of 5. There are way too many days when the greens are not in good shape, and the fairways are are just so-so. I don't pretend to know why this is, but its pretty obvious it has something to do with money. Why is Palmer in good condition the majority of the time and coincidentally it costs a lot more $$ to play there. I guess you can't blame it on conditions if that course is almost always in good shape. Overall you can get better conditions outside The Villages for less money. They pretty much have a captive audience here, so they can charge whatever they want to. But to say the courses here are in good shape - I have to disagree.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Gold member

well said Mickey
Old 06-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srixongolf1197 View Post
The greens here on the Championship courses are so bad its not even funny for the amount of money these courses rake in during the year. GMS is a joke the top tier people making big money for what sitting in an office all day and low balling bids for course maintenance so their salaries are higher , The Facility managers aka head pros bigger jokes if they were top level pros which they aren't they are just "Yes Men" they would speak up and not put up with horrid conditions on their courses, don't get me started on the ranges here very poor grass at Sarasota they should have perfect grass with the amount of money they make daily might be the worst range I have ever stepped foot on. If The Villages keep letting these landscape companies with inexperienced workers take care of the courses here things are only going to get worse.

Glenview - 1
Mallory - 1
Cane Jacaranda 2
Cane Alamanda 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Played Mallory yesterday (Amelia to Caroline). Happy to report the course was in very good condition, with greens nicely maintained with decent speed. I noticed right away that the fairways were better, and there is grass in the rough where there was only hard pan last year.
Different folks, different expectations??
Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
We played Amelia Thursday and I agree the course was in good shape. It's been better, but it really showed improvement.

I'm not sure about the linking of revenue to course conditions. Certainly if revenue is down, conditions can suffer. But revenue by itself can't guarantee good conditions. Look at the condition of the greens at TPC Sawgrass for The Players. No lack of revenue there.

I looked back at some course reports for the executive courses given in July, 2013, and overall it seems the conditions were similar to what we are seeing now. Conditions varied from very good to disappointing, with a general trend toward that latter as we go south. Looking at the reports in October 2013, prior to overseeding, the courses were considered very good to outstanding. Hopefully, we will see that kind of improvement as the summer progresses.

I have felt that the courses are in poorer condition at this time of year than any time in the past, but the course reports I reviewed tell a different story.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
We played Amelia Thursday and I agree the course was in good shape. It's been better, but it really showed improvement.

I'm not sure about the linking of revenue to course conditions. Certainly if revenue is down, conditions can suffer. But revenue by itself can't guarantee good conditions. Look at the condition of the greens at TPC Sawgrass for The Players. No lack of revenue there.

I looked back at some course reports for the executive courses given in July, 2013, and overall it seems the conditions were similar to what we are seeing now. Conditions varied from very good to disappointing, with a general trend toward that latter as we go south. Looking at the reports in October 2013, prior to overseeding, the courses were considered very good to outstanding. Hopefully, we will see that kind of improvement as the summer progresses.

I have felt that the courses are in poorer condition at this time of year than any time in the past, but the course reports I reviewed tell a different story.
Your comment about Sawgrass is well taken, but here in a The Villages, Palmer seems to be in good condition all year round, except during the aerification
times, while other courses have many periods of poor to mediocre conditions. It has been like this for many years. Are the powers that be directing more of the water allotment to Palmer for watering? And it just always seems better maintained with fairways that are lusher, nicer greens, nice sand in the traps compared to some courses. Why can't all the courses be kept to such a standard? And yes, many of the courses are improving, but our enjoyment will be short lived, as aerification starts in August.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Executive Course Update...played Pelican yesterday, greens were disappointing. The 7th green that had been partially resodded did look good. Played Turtle Mound today, for the most part greens were in very good condition.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Your comment about Sawgrass is well taken, but here in a The Villages, Palmer seems to be in good condition all year round, except during the aerification
times, while other courses have many periods of poor to mediocre conditions. It has been like this for many years. Are the powers that be directing more of the water allotment to Palmer for watering? And it just always seems better maintained with fairways that are lusher, nicer greens, nice sand in the traps compared to some courses. Why can't all the courses be kept to such a standard? And yes, many of the courses are improving, but our enjoyment will be short lived, as aerification starts in August.
I agree that Palmer always seems to be in better shape at any time of year than the other courses. I've been told by people at GMS I have no reason to doubt, it receives no more water than the other courses. The only difference that leaps out is the lesser amount of play compared to the others. Even during the high season, tee times are more available on Palmer. Reduced cart traffic on the fairways will help conditions noticeably.

One concern I have is the tendency, IMO, of TV to open courses too soon. Havana was opened early understandably due to the damage to Mallory by the tornado. But, except for Pensacola nine, Bonifay was opened before it had a chance to really grow in. Fairways were really sparse, and the cart traffic really made it worse. Some courses may never recover from that double-whammy unless you close them entirely for the season. Same with Evans Prairie and I fear the same with Belle Glade. On the executive side, Palmetto was opened early, and they admit that, by grossly overseeding the greens, which hindered the development of the base bermuda so that conditions were poor throughout the first year plus. I understand the problem of frustrated residents who live or drive by courses that appear ready but remain closed. But the view has to be more long term.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I agree that Palmer always seems to be in better shape at any time of year than the other courses. I've been told by people at GMS I have no reason to doubt, it receives no more water than the other courses. The only difference that leaps out is the lesser amount of play compared to the others. Even during the high season, tee times are more available on Palmer. Reduced cart traffic on the fairways will help conditions noticeably.

One concern I have is the tendency, IMO, of TV to open courses too soon. Havana was opened early understandably due to the damage to Mallory by the tornado. But, except for Pensacola nine, Bonifay was opened before it had a chance to really grow in. Fairways were really sparse, and the cart traffic really made it worse. Some courses may never recover from that double-whammy unless you close them entirely for the season. Same with Evans Prairie and I fear the same with Belle Glade. On the executive side, Palmetto was opened early, and they admit that, by grossly overseeding the greens, which hindered the development of the base bermuda so that conditions were poor throughout the first year plus. I understand the problem of frustrated residents who live or drive by courses that appear ready but remain closed. But the view has to be more long term.
Good points.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Just wondering why not apply for a position of consultant to the golf course management companies, here in TV ??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.