confused about golf course rules..

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
I would like to think that golfers would use some common sense but sadly that is not always the case. Common sense tells me that I have no right to enter private property. If my ball is reachable from the course I retrieve it. If it clearly is in someone's yard or flowers then I feel I have no right to go wandering around on their property and I work a little harder at hitting a straight ball. Just my opinion!
Well said. Golfers that I have known all my life who played on ONE golf course or another that we lived on would NEVER go into anyone's yard, but anonymity is sometimes the cause for bad behavior in this place with multiple golf courses where you are not known or recognized and on this forum too.

Golfers are usually gentlemen and gentlewomen. Those who would go into someone's yard or hit a ball back at someone even if they were hit into are people who do not know the rules or don't care about the rules and in golf that makes them crumb bums.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Sage

wow, gmcneill, those things haven't happened yet and I hope never do. My understanding of trespass in FL is that it requires signage or prior written notice.

I called the course clubhouse to inquire about the rules and was told that even tho there's a rule against it, most people don't mind golfers coming onto their property to retrieve a ball. Clearly the person who answered had no interest whether the rule was being followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post
Kitty:

Technically, golfers coming onto a homeowner's property or a homeowner going onto the golf course for leisure is trespassing.

That said, until last month, we owned a home adjacent to Hole 6 on the Yankee Clipper course.

I didn't mind when golfers came onto my yard to retrieve a clearly visible ball.

I did mind when golfers attempted to scour my yard and shrub beds in search of a ball.
(In those situations, me stepping out of the lanai with a silent, stern look usually ended the search. Usually. One time, however, a golfer became mouthy and accused me of stealing his ball. I replied, Yep. You're right. I swiped your used ball to sell it to help me pay for this house.)

I had an issue when a golfer (3 separate occasions) set up to hit a shot from my yard.

I had a serious issue when a golfer (2 separate occasions) attempted to u-turn a golf cart in my yard.

So, your assessment is accurate: when it comes to retrieving golf balls, not everyone chooses to obey the law or observe the rules of common courtesy and etiquette.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM

A golf ball on a residences yard is Out of Bounds so therefore the ball is lost and unplayable. Since the ball is lost and not on your property, you should not go get the residences ball (it is now their ball not yours). The Country Clubs are Private Property and are supposed to be off limits unless you paid the Green Fees. Exec Courses, you need to have been checked in with the Starter first. Not sure how it really works
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM

Kitty:

Trespassing on residential property occurs UNLESS the owner expressly invites the individual onto the property. Exceptions: an individual performing work in course and scope of job: meter reader, law enforcement officer, etc.

Depending on the type of non-residential property, there are issues of limited access and implied access to consider whether a trespass has occurred or not. And consequently, whether signage (warning) is required.

I hope that the worst situation you encounter is someone picking up a clearly visible ball.

Candidly, I would never have imagined the possibility that any of the other three scenarios would occur.

Apparently, except for making a u-turn, golfers searching yards/plant beds for a lost ball and/or hitting a shot from one's yard occurs more often than one would expect.

George
Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Bogey, I'm new here, not golfing yet, own on a course and trying to understand the culture of the community. Seems as in all places, some folks keep the rules and some don't. Reading the rules doesn't help much without knowing what people actually do and what the consequences of our actions might be.
K.
As you will find with this topic and every other topic of concern in TV, there are no consequences to anyone's actions and and that is generally the reason why people continue doing what they do. Mainly, because they can and no one will hold them accountable. Don't get me wrong because I am happy here in TV and have no plans on leaving but, as the population increases the instances of inconsiderate, ignorant and stupid actions will increase on a proportionate level. They don't teach common sense in any educational level and it shows. Either you have it or you don't!! OK, I'm done.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

This common sense stuff cuts both ways.... I would think it common sense that someone living on a golf course would expect [and allow] folks to walk into their lawn to retrieve a golf ball. It does no damage to your lawn for someone to walk to a ball and carry it out.

It's not a big deal....
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
This common sense stuff cuts both ways.... I would think it common sense that someone living on a golf course would expect [and allow] folks to walk into their lawn to retrieve a golf ball. It does no damage to your lawn for someone to walk to a ball and carry it out.

It's not a big deal....

The golfers that are being talked about are
A. Ones that have had the nerve to even walk up to the house windows looking for their ball
B. Continue then to hit the ball out of the yard
C. And worse yet, do damage and know they do ( such as breaking a window or glass door) and then move quickly away without a second thought)

If you read the golf course rules ( and if you are a golfer then you should know these rules) it clearly states that a golfer may not retrieve his/her ball out of a homeowners yard.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Platinum member

Here's a thread on the subject that is very....revealing
I've seen it all.....literally!!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Default I have the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post
Kitty:

Technically, golfers coming onto a homeowner's property or a homeowner going onto the golf course for leisure is trespassing.

That said, until last month, we owned a home adjacent to Hole 6 on the Yankee Clipper course.

I didn't mind when golfers came onto my yard to retrieve a clearly visible ball.

I did mind when golfers attempted to scour my yard and shrub beds in search of a ball.
(In those situations, me stepping out of the lanai with a silent, stern look usually ended the search. Usually. One time, however, a golfer became mouthy and accused me of stealing his ball. I replied, Yep. You're right. I swiped your used ball to sell it to help me pay for this house.)

I had an issue when a golfer (3 separate occasions) set up to hit a shot from my yard.

I had a serious issue when a golfer (2 separate occasions) attempted to u-turn a golf cart in my yard.

So, your assessment is accurate: when it comes to retrieving golf balls, not everyone chooses to obey the law or observe the rules of common courtesy and etiquette.
Kitty, I have a great idea. Set up your irrigation system with a motion sensor! Turn the motion sensor on anytime you are not in your back yard. If someone comes into your yard with a cart or by foot, they get soaked! Problem solved.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Sage

KB, funny! I'd mostly soak myself!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Gold member

Actually speaking, most people do let you retrieve ball from their property. Most golfers are considerate of peoples property, and most owners are golfers and understand. (As long as you don't ride cart on their grass) Courtesy can work both ways
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Are you a golf course property owner? Or a golfer?
Beware when you are asked a question that you may be flamed no matter how yo respond
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Sage

Getting a sense of the community, the scorecard on this thread:
Yes, getting the ball is OK.........5 posts
No, getting the ball in not OK...10 posts
Info/links/questions.................7 posts
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Sage

Buying a home on a golf course does not grant golfers permission to enter your yard to retrieve golf balls. It's nice that some homeowners don't mind people coming into their yard to retrieve a ball. The problems arise when people take advantage and traipse all over the yard searching for a ball.

Personally, I won't enter a yard to get my ball. If I can see it and reach it with a ball retriever, I will do that. But I am not comfortable walking into a yard and/or conducting a search. If I can't see it from the course and reach it with a retriever, it's gone.

And, as posted above, that's the rule here.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Beware when you are asked a question that you may be flamed no matter how yo respond
Flaming was not the intent....................................
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.