confused about golf course rules..

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage

Years ago one of my neighbors that never played on the championship courses asked me to take their son golfing when he visited. I said sure, it will be fun. He had clubs and described himself as a weekend golfer and off we went.

We went over to Tierra and he rode in my cart. Number 5 is a par 3 about 160-170 yards if I recall. Well he hozzles one towards the OB on the right about half way to green. He grabs a couple of clubs and putter and starts to walk from the tee box to find it. he did not hit a provisional, so I assumed he would just drop one if OB. We had no match, he can do whatever we wishes, although I could not have imagined what his wish would be!

I drive up to the green and as I get out of my cart and look back to see if he found it he had just hit from someone's yard

I was shocked and embarrassed and although I straightened him out it was too late. As a favor I take him every year, but he is now on a very short leash.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Flaming was not the intent....................................
Noper, this has been a respectful and enlightening discussion, all the way.
Kitty
Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Usually a golf course stipulates to the issue of trespass. The Villages clearly establishes this practice as trespass. In most situations and on all golf courses here a homeowners back lot is too close to the course. Consequently it does not take much to hit into someone's yard. I have seen some golf course home owners responses from trespassers from yelling at them , posting notices, landscapping creating a barrier that prevents a golfer from entering, homeowners who have walked out in front of the golfer picked up his ball and walk away. One homeowner was reported to have called the sheriff everytime someone came on his property while another was said to have turned her hose on trespassers. One homeowner had a sign posted that said if you hit on his property you needed a golf lesson and don't trespass.

In that same vein I have seen and heard golfers who believe that people who buy a golf course lot deserve what they get, while others respect homeowners privacy. I have seen golfers search for a golf ball as if it was their most expensive possession and some who have driven on people's property and hit balls from their yard.

IMHO view if without real effort a golfer can reach over and scoop a ball up fine but come on its only a ball and there is an endless supply of them on the shelves of many many stores.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:25 PM

I have a funny story on this topic: Our new home is on the Bonifay/Pensacola course. We started to move in in early March (snowflakes for now) and brought our dog Barney to get him acclimated to the new home & environment. Being from NJ, a lanai was something new for him to explore. Very quickly he claimed the lanai as his turf and would often bark at the golfers and carts passing by. Every time I heard him making noises out there, I would issue one of his training commands - "leave it!" - so that he knew that his behavior was unacceptable and he needed to stop.
One afternoon I was taking a break from unpacking & chilling on the lanai with Barney when an errant golf ball landed on our property. I probably don't have to finish this story, but I will! The golfer approaches to look for his ball, Barney starts to growl, I issue Barney the "leave it" command, the golfer hears me, stops dead in his tracks and does an about face never retrieving his ball! Was my face red!!

DH told me that should teach me from talking too loud in the future!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM

When we moved to a golf course lo, we were extremely nice to golfers even offering a beer from our lanai tapper. However, I am not as friendly now. On several occasions,I have found golfers in my FRONT yard searching for balls. I have had my garden decoration stolen-witnessed by a neighbor, people hitting a ball well within my property, and one man replied !" ....you", when I asked him to get out of my flowers. It is unnerving to get out of the shower and see strangers walking by the window or eating with someone two feet outside the window. Usually not only the golfer is searching in my bushes, but he has brought the rest of the foursome.

Some golfers are very polite but others , oh well. I guess they can't afford to buy a ball but they sure have nice carts. I do enjoy the increasing rare polite ones and have even offered shelter during storms or a ride back to the parking lot to those walking the course during inclement weather
I guess my advice is if in doubt stay out. A friendly hello would go a long way.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronat1 View Post
As you will find with this topic and every other topic of concern in TV, there are no consequences to anyone's actions and and that is generally the reason why people continue doing what they do. Mainly, because they can and no one will hold them accountable. Don't get me wrong because I am happy here in TV and have no plans on leaving but, as the population increases the instances of inconsiderate, ignorant and stupid actions will increase on a proportionate level. They don't teach common sense in any educational level and it shows. Either you have it or you don't!! OK, I'm done.

I could not agree more! As other posters have indicated, should I hit an errant shot and it lands on someone's property and I can't retrieve it without stepping on the property or upsetting landscaping, I consider it a lost ball and move on even if the ball is lying in plain view. If the owner expressly invites me to grab my ball, ok, but only in that particular instance.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbgold View Post
I have a funny story on this topic: Our new home is on the Bonifay/Pensacola course. We started to move in in early March (snowflakes for now) and brought our dog Barney to get him acclimated to the new home & environment. Being from NJ, a lanai was something new for him to explore. Very quickly he claimed the lanai as his turf and would often bark at the golfers and carts passing by. Every time I heard him making noises out there, I would issue one of his training commands - "leave it!" - so that he knew that his behavior was unacceptable and he needed to stop.
One afternoon I was taking a break from unpacking & chilling on the lanai with Barney when an errant golf ball landed on our property. I probably don't have to finish this story, but I will! The golfer approaches to look for his ball, Barney starts to growl, I issue Barney the "leave it" command, the golfer hears me, stops dead in his tracks and does an about face never retrieving his ball! Was my face red!!

DH told me that should teach me from talking too loud in the future!
Loved your post - we use the "leave it" command as well and I can only imagine your tone when you said it - I MEAN BUSINESS!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Maybe the moral of the story is ... buy a water view!

Although maybe those homeowners have stories about wandering ducks and bird poo.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Default Golfers are not allowed on private property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Getting a sense of the community, the scorecard on this thread:
Yes, getting the ball is OK.........5 posts
No, getting the ball in not OK...10 posts
Info/links/questions.................7 posts
Has anyone even botherd to read the Golfing Book of do's and don'ts and other things that you can get from the starter shack? It clearly states for golfers not to retrieve golf balls from private property. Assumeing if the property owner does not mind does not make it right and you are indeed tresspassing! Play on the golf course only and you will always be o.k. There should be a sign at the starter shack to remind golfers not to go on PRIVATE PROPERTY.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 PM

So, if a golf ball strays onto the property of a home that abuts a golf course, it becomes the property of the home owner.
What if a person's dog, on one of those 40' leashes, takes a poop on the same property. Does the poop become the property of the home owner too?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
So, if a golf ball strays onto the property of a home that abuts a golf course, it becomes the property of the home owner.
What if a person's dog, on one of those 40' leashes, takes a poop on the same property. Does the poop become the property of the home owner too?
Unfortunately for the homeowner, yes!!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post

Here we go!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Sage

Trespassing on another resident's property is always wrong. Whether it's to retrieve a golf ball or to walk your dog, it's wrong!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Default I Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Trespassing on another resident's property is always wrong. Whether it's to retrieve a golf ball or to walk your dog, it's wrong!
Like Barefoot says is so true. Tresspassing is Tresspassing Period! So why are other people making up excuses? To suit them is all I can think of. Its in the Villages Golf Guide Highlighted in Yellow to never retrieve a golf ball from the yard of a resident. Sounds like some of you should take the time out to read it and not assume what you can and cannot do. You are there to play on the golf course not bother and aggrivate the residents.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 AM

Once I accidently hit my tee shot into someone's yard. I saw where the ball was, did not pick it up and started to walk away. The property owner immediately yell at me to come back and pick up my ball. He said balls in his yard caused problems when cutting the grass and his dog ate them. He was not going to pick up after me, my ball my litter. So what should a person do? Pick up or not!
I thought I was doing the proper thing
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.