difficulty of champ course rotations

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I haven't played that many courses off campus, but one that I've played 3 times because my neighbor likes it, is World Woods in Brooksville. It's 36 holes and really looks like a northern course, one of the 18's is a top 10 Florida course. We always get the same 18 and it has more trees and sand, with a little water thrown in than any place around here. I've played Ocala National twice, that has a lot of trees as well. I can't even break 90 there and in TV I shoot high 70's low 80's from the whites, use to play the blues but my neighbor had hip replacement so we moved up. I was wondering if anyone has played that course and what they thought? It's a good hour plus drive to get there.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,971 Times in 4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I haven't played that many courses off campus, but one that I've played 3 times because my neighbor likes it, is World Woods in Brooksville. It's 36 holes and really looks like a northern course, one of the 18's is a top 10 Florida course. We always get the same 18 and it has more trees and sand, with a little water thrown in than any place around here. I've played Ocala National twice, that has a lot of trees as well. I can't even break 90 there and in TV I shoot high 70's low 80's from the whites, use to play the blues but my neighbor had hip replacement so we moved up. I was wondering if anyone has played that course and what they thought? It's a good hour plus drive to get there.

The Villages Florida
Played the Pine Barrens 18 twice, should have brought a chain saw instead of a driver
Old 12-03-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

The Villages Florida
Pine Barrons and Rolling Oaks...those are both great courses...RO being the easier of the two I think. You'll often find mini tour players practicing here. Their practice putting green is about an 2 acres in size! Also, Shell's Wonderful World of Golf once played here...Phil Mickelson and...(I forget).
Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If you want to go outside The Villages go to Black Diamond Ranch in Lecanto. It's about an hour's drive and expensive but it may be the best course in Florida.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:11 PM

Good chooses
Old 12-04-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
I'm an 8 handicap, and for me Tierra Del Sol is the most "challenging" course here in The Villages. The combination of tree lined fairways, fast greens, good undulations, and trouble spots when you hit long or miss a shot to the side make this course great. It punishes you if you make a bad shot.

Glenview is my 2nd favorite for a challenge... although there is less trouble there, so I can typically recover from a bad shot fairly easily. The other champion courses are wide open for the most part - it takes the combination of a bad shot and bad luck to give you a lie you can't recover from.

If you're looking for real challenge for him, try Otter Creek at The Plantation in Leesburg - now that is a tight course! Haven't played there in about 6 months, so no idea as to what shape it is in.

My son played college golf, and was on the mini tours for several years... his favorite course in the area is The Country Club of Ocala. It's a legit challenge, and is gorgeous as well. They have a member for a day program where you can get a tee time and play. This course is amazing - when my son visits, we always try to get a round in there.
I play in an outing at The Country Club of Ocala every year. It is really nice with beautiful scenery and homes around the course.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, rotations, difficult, champ, virginia

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.