Do the Exec courses close at 6:54?

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts
Default Do the Exec courses close at 6:54?

We like to play the Exec courses late in the afternoon because they are less crowded and it is cooler.

We went to Volusia just before 7:00 PM and the starter said we could not play because the last group had teed off at 6:54 and the course was closed. Have you ever heard of this?

At first we could not believe it, but then I thought maybe this policy is in effect to keep non-golfers off the course. Volusia is right next to the Sarasota practice area and it would be tempting for someone to bring a non-golfer to the practice area, hit a bucket of balls, and then let them play a few holes for free. I guess The Villages wants to prevent this.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Might be that country clubs policy(each set of exec. courses is governed by a championship course). The problem exec courses have are people from outside the villages playing, people who play late to avoid the trail fee, party people who damage the course and of course those who just want to screw around. Follow the rules and regs...it's easy.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I have played after 7 many times with no issues.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Same here. As long as your trail fees are paid, you're breaking no rules.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 07-10-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Yeah, so have we. That is why we were dumbfounded when the starter at Volusia told us we could not tee off after 6:54.

We are walkers, so there were no trail fees required.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Platinum member
Default Rules?

I have seen players walk on Executive Courses after the Starter leaves.

Why didn't you give him a few minutes to leave and go ahead and play?

(I don't golf, so I don't know how much of a forbidden act this might be.)

Also, with regard to the time, I'm sure it is within the scope of the Starter's authority to decide whether to close the course a few minutes before or after the official time.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
...Also, with regard to the time, I'm sure it is within the scope of the Starter's authority to decide whether to close the course a few minutes before or after the official time.
I don't think many golfers playing the last hole or two to finish their round would agree with you.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Platinum member
Question Who's in charge?

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa
...Also, with regard to the time, I'm sure it is within the scope of the Starter's authority to decide whether to close the course a few minutes before or after the official time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I don't think many golfers playing the last hole or two to finish their round would agree with you.
Of course they wouldn't. But, can you comment on the Starter's authority?

The original poster wasn't talking about people out on the course, but rather new starts.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
...Of course they wouldn't. But, can you comment on the Starter's authority?

The original poster wasn't talking about people out on the course, but rather new starts.
Point taken. (Mixing threads...there is another one concerning on-course ambassador actions late in the day.)

But regarding the Exec Starter's authority. I have no idea what their official authority might be. I can only speak from experience. I have arrived more than once after 7:00 with the starters still in the shack. All they did was wish me a good round and send me off to the first tee. And rarely on such days am I the last person playing the course.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We like to play the Exec courses late in the afternoon because they are less crowded and it is cooler. We went to Volusia just before 7:00 PM and the starter said we could not play because the last group had teed off at 6:54 and the course was closed. Have you ever heard of this?
I have played golf only once in TV, on the De La Vista executive course. I went to the starter that afternoon and explained that I wanted to play a few holes when I wouldn't inconvenience anyone else with my poor game. He said to just turn up after 7pm. There were two other pairs playing while I was out there.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

IMHO - there is more than we have heard to the OP story
Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 AM

99% of the time ambassadors are friendly, accommodating and helpful even though they put up with a lot of crap from players. It is impressive that they generally maintain their composure. There is the occasional ambassador because of ego and/or lack of knowledge leaves behind a less than pleasant experience. It is not worth the blood pressure rise to dispute these folks. Smile and move on. They likely will be gone by the next time you play.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I often play after 7:00 and have never had an issue. But a few nights ago, I was playing Sliver Lake at about 7:15 and an ambassador pulled up and asked me if I had an ID. I showed him my ID and he asked if my golf cart fee was paid. I told him it was and said, "Have a nice evening."
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, practice, volusia, area, exec

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.