Dress code

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I didn't say you couldn't play them, I just suggested that you keep up the pace. That includes picking up the ball and moving on when you've taken 6 strokes on a par 3. And I checked The Villages Golf web site again, and confirmed that there are no "beginner" Executive courses.

That web page states "Executive Course Ratings The Executive Golf Courses are rated based on the difficulty level of the course. It is displayed on a scale of 1 to 4 with 1 being the friendliest and 4 the most challenging. This allows each resident to choose what playing level best suites them so they will be able to maximize their enjoyment when they come out and play." By friendliest, they mean those with few hazards and shorter holes.

All I am suggesting is that we all try to be considerate to the groups behind you. For a true beginner, I would suggest the pitch & putt courses where one can get a lot of practice on their short game first.
We have played golf, just not in The Villages. My playing days go back to the 80’s when I use to work on a course.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtexasrn View Post
On any golf course and also the driving range and practice areas a man must have a shirt with a collar. Shorts are fine. A woman must not wear a tank top unless the shoulder straps are at least 3 inches wide. A sleeveless top is fine for women and so are shorts or golf skirts. On a par 3 pick up your ball after 6 strokes and on par 4 pick up after 8 strokes. Don't tarry and play ready golf. There will most likely be people behind you ready to play. The executive courses are not beginner courses. They can be very challenging and in my opinion more so than the championship courses because they are not as wide and forgiving and have hazards everywhere! lol As far as keeping score, that's up to you but like others have said just count your strokes. If you keep score though, you can see if you're improving in your play and you will if you play a lot. The most important thing is to just have fun and enjoy being outdoors!!
Old 10-16-2021, 07:19 PM

No tee shirts you also need a resident card or a guest card, and book a day and time ahead of time.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:21 PM

No tee shirts you also need a resident card or a guest card, and book a day and time ahead of time.it sounds like you might want to play miniature golf.

If you guys can't play at all it may be a problems for others, playing with you or the groups behind you.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We have played golf, just not in The Villages. My playing days go back to the 80’s when I use to work on a course.
Garywt, I want to apologize for my previous comments to you. When I first read your post, I got the impression that you both were true beginners. Based on your recent post, I see that this is not the situation, and I apologize.

If you have read TOTV for a while, you will know that all of the courses can get very busy, especially during the 3 winter months. And the likelihood of not being pared up with someone else is remote during those prime time months. And I know we have all experienced a total new beginner who either keeps swinging & missing the ball, or someone who can only hit it a few feet and has another go at it. That is both frustrating for the other people who might be paired with them, or those groups that are behind. All of us Villagers must be a little more understanding of others. Both those who want to learn and have fun,, and those who are experienced and want the challenge of a good golf game without having to pay Championship rates or play a long course.

So go out and have fun. And remember, the worse score you can have on the level 1 course is probably a 54 (6 x 9 holes) and you can brag about shooting under your age at one of the Country Club restaurants.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the dress code is defective. Here is the official dress code for men:

"Shirts shall have a collar and sleeves. Turtle-necks or mock turtle-necks are acceptable. (Min. 1/4 inch collars.)"

Can someone please explain how a mock turtle-neck shirt with a one quarter inch collar is different from a T-shirt? I think that all of my T-shirts would meet their definition for a mock turtle-neck.
T-shirts do not have collars, none that I’ve ever seen anyways. A turtle neck collar stands up along the neck.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:53 AM
Default Golf Apparel

Quote:
Here is the dress code as stated in the golfing in the villages brochure. You may need to Google "golfing in the villages brochure" to find the entire brochure online. I cannot find an exact link.

How To Dress
The following dress code is for all championship and executive golf courses, The Villages Golf Academy, driving ranges, warm-up nets and putting greens.

The acceptable golf attire includes, but is not limited to, the below:

Shoes must be worn at all times when on the golf courses. Tennis or golf shoes with soft spikes, or shoes with no more than a 1-inch heel, are mandatory.Shorts or skirts must cover the majority of the thigh and may not be cut-off or have holes.Denim pants are allowed.No overall, tennis skirts, cut-offs, biking shorts, bathing suits or athletic exercise apparel.

Dress Code for Women

Fashion golf tops may be without a collar but should not expose the stomach and must have straps at least 2-inches wide.

Dress Code for Men

Shirts shall have a collar and sleeves. Turtle-necks or mock turtle-necks are acceptable. (Min. 1/4 inch collars.)
Thanks, Retiredguy.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
On an executive 9 hole beginner course, what is the dress code. Planning our first ever round of golf in The Villages and all I have in Florida is shorts and t-shirts. Hoping t-shires are allowed on the executive courses. Thanks
These are not beginner courses. Some of the are every bit as challenging as championship course. Just no par 5's.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
keeping score only is required for trophies and cash prizes. . . and usually that;s not on amateur day, which will be the day you play.
I only count birdies. Easy to remember....
Old 10-17-2021, 06:49 AM
Default Probably not..

Quote:
We have played golf before. My wife actually took lessons over the summer. I have not played in a couple years but will be fine. We use to go later in the day, just the 2 of us and just enjoyed each other. That is what we hope to accomplish.
The chance of not being paired up with anyone this time of year is slim to none. Executive courses are jam packed.

Last edited by paulajr; 10-17-2021 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Edit mistake
Old 10-17-2021, 07:11 AM
Platinum member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnytalk View Post
No tee shirts you also need a resident card or a guest card, and book a day and time ahead of time.it sounds like you might want to play miniature golf.

If you guys can't play at all it may be a problems for others, playing with you or the groups behind you.
You should try reading other comments before making one yourself. OP has stated more than once he and wife(she's had lessons) have played before, just not in TV. And they are not newcomers to TV.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:38 AM

When we moved here 3 years ago, the Villages offered a class, i think it was called The School of Good Golf. It covered the tee time system as well as the necessary etiquette and rules needed on the course. You might call the golf office to inquire about it. It will help greatly as a new golfer.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
The chance of not being paired up with anyone this time of year is slim to none. Executive courses are jam packed.
Yep really packed???
Just looked at open tee times on Monday executive courses, stopped counting at 75 with 2 or 4 players.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 10-17-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Default Driving range

Quote:
T-shirts are not allowed. You need to wear a shirt with a collar. That rule even applies to the driving range.

And, here is another tip for the driving range. Place the basket under the ball shoot before you put in the token. I learned that one the hard way.
My husband said Sarasota driving range changed their policy to allow tee shirts. I don’t know about the country clubs though.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochellepfaff View Post
These are not beginner courses. Some of the are every bit as challenging as championship course. Just no par 5's.
I repeat:
Closed Thread

Tags
dress, code, executive, t-shires, hoping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.