Etiquette....

Old 02-11-2024, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Etiquette....

If you decide you want to play golf then please do not depend on your friends to educate you on golf course etiquette. All "golfers" understand a beginners trepidation when playing their sport, pastime or just something to do. While executive etiquette might vary a small bit from legitimate (aka:championship)courses the individuals actions on the course vary little.

Mulligans: not anywhere near a legit golf term. Many folks think they are perfectly within the code of etiquette to hit an extra tee shot or two from the teeing ground. Not true...especially if there is a group behind you. If you can see your tee shot(no matter how poor it may be)you play it(unless in the brush or water). If you tee up another and get(heaven forbid a hole-in-one)using the second tee shot it's really a 3, not a one. In fact if you hit more than one tee shot you are hitting your 3rd shot from the tee. If it went in the bushes or water then just drop another where you think it went into the "stuff" and call it your second shot(no it's not legal, but it's more like real golf).

Pick up your feet on the greens please. Thank you. Rake your bunkers, fix your pitch marks(when your ball makes a mark on the green). Put sand in your divots...not the divot...it doesn't grow.

Be ready to play.

You are allowed to drive up to any tee when groups are already there unless someone in that group is on the tee and getting ready to hit. You are not "pushing" the group in front by doing so.

You need to have music...use headphones. It's golf...not your car or house. Be considerate.

Don't stand behind me when I'm hitting. I don't care if you can't see where my shot goes....that's my job. If I need help seeing the ball I will ask for it.

CAP card: it only gives the person it's issued to the right to go to their ball(not their passenger unless they to have a CAP). If in doubt of the following just check the rules(yes I know there are those of you who are special and it doesn't apply...). Stay 30 feet(yes it's 30)from the green, bunkers and tees(when the golf cart path doesn't come that close). Please stop driving on the grass edges near the cart path. The path is plenty wide enough and if you have to drive around a cart do it on the non-course side if possible.

Stop taking turns when putting. It's SLOW. It's ready golf. When you are ready...go. The person farthest from the hole goes first(if all of you approach your balls at about the same time). That is an actual USGA golf rule. Yes, per etiquette you shouldn't step or walk in someone else's line of putting, but with the elderly(me included)that is truly impossible.

Please stop telling the new golfers what the etiquette is unless you have researched it first. Many of you are incorrect and just screw thing up.

From a 59 year golfer with many years competing as an amateur, professional greens mower, pin setter and all around golf geek.

Feel free to question my information. I'll be happy to apologize if I'm wrong or gladly set you straight if you are wrong.

Oh, and bouncing a golf ball and looking at its rebound height to determine if it's good or not is bogus. Balls come with various density innards and covers for different swings speeds. LUCK!

Last edited by Mortal1; 02-11-2024 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post

CAP card: it only gives the person it's issued to the right to go to their ball(not their passenger unless they to have a CAP). If in doubt of the following just check the rules(yes I know there are those of you who are special and it doesn't apply...). Stay 30 feet(yes it's 30)from the green, bunkers and tees(when the golf cart path doesn't come that close). Please stop driving on the grass edges near the cart path. The path is plenty wide enough and if you have to drive around a cart do it on the non-course side if possible.
I understand the need for a CAP Card program and I wholeheartedly support the idea. That said, it's not a free pass to drive like an idiot or drive/park anywhere you please.

If a hole is Cart Path Only, that means CAP holders, too. Don't park in front of the Green. Don't drive between a Bunker and the Green. Do not park on a slope near the Green.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 7.27.02 PM.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	102778  
Old 02-11-2024, 07:30 PM
Default Etiquette

Played with a twosome ahead of us that hit 2 balls each. We had to wait while they hit their 2 balls each. Also behind us group hit into us and never warned us or apologized. Let the ambassador know and he hopefully told them not to hit before we left the green!
Old 02-12-2024, 07:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

The Mortal 1 is so spot on ! But unfortunately we are dealing with Entitlement, and a build up of Plaque in the Grey matter! These people really know how to push my buttons..They can ruin a nice day out on the course.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

First my father never allowed a mulligan, he was old school and you play what you hit. But the advice that sticks in my head….

“If you hit that mulligan and it drops in the cup…It’s not a Hole in One”.

Counting it as a hole in one would be lack of respect to yourself.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

I only play the executive courses so I don't have any direct experience with the etiquette (or lack of it) on the championship courses. I would imagine that breaches of etiquette are more common on the execs. Serious golfers are probably be more apt to be found on the championship courses. In my experience breaches of etiquette come in two forms: not knowing, and not caring. Both are seen on the execs.

Not knowing? Quite a few examples of that. For instance last fall I saw a guy take his pull-cart onto the green. We caught up to his group on the next tee and I made it a point to remind him (good-naturedly, of course) that doing so is not allowed and might bring down the wrath of the "Ambassador". He honestly didn't know, and thanked me for pointing that out. Another etiquette breach that is relatively common is not clearing the green area so that the group behind can hit. Had that happen on Chula Vista: One of the greens there (short hole...can't remember which one...#5, maybe?) lies within a few feet of the cart path. We were behind his group when it started to drizzle. They drove their carts off the path and parked under a tree adjacent to the green, apparently to wait out the drizzle, but stayed there when it stopped even after they could see that we were ready to tee off. I walked over to them and asked if they could clear the area, pointing out that a) it was dangerous to them to stay if we hit while they were there; and b) that the proper etiquette would be to clear the area and wait behind the group on the next tee. Again I was good-natured about it and prefaced it with a comment about Florida weather, and again, they had no idea that they SHOULDN'T be doing that; and again, I was thanked for my reminder.

Not caring? Where to start...unraked traps, smoldering cigarette butts next to the green, those little liquor bottles that didn't quite make it to the shrubbery where the person emptying it had chucked it, broken tees scattered in the tee boxes, gum wrappers on the cart path, some guy taking it upon himself to show another person in their group how to putt with the next tee empty by hitting a putt and then having the "student" hit a couple from the same sport, etc. etc.

Not knowing is fixable. And if done right you'll usually be thanked for fixing it. Not caring? There've been incidents of violence when someone's actions which may grossly violate proper golf etiquette are called to his/her attention by another golfer. I suppose it is all in how it is approached, but IMO those "ambassadors" could be doing a lot more reminding and correcting behavior than they are doing.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I only play the executive courses so I don't have any direct experience with the etiquette (or lack of it) on the championship courses. I would imagine that breaches of etiquette are more common on the execs. Serious golfers are probably be more apt to be found on the championship courses. In my experience breaches of etiquette come in two forms: not knowing, and not caring. Both are seen on the execs.

Not knowing? Quite a few examples of that. For instance last fall I saw a guy take his pull-cart onto the green. We caught up to his group on the next tee and I made it a point to remind him (good-naturedly, of course) that doing so is not allowed and might bring down the wrath of the "Ambassador". He honestly didn't know, and thanked me for pointing that out. Another etiquette breach that is relatively common is not clearing the green area so that the group behind can hit. Had that happen on Chula Vista: One of the greens there (short hole...can't remember which one...#5, maybe?) lies within a few feet of the cart path. We were behind his group when it started to drizzle. They drove their carts off the path and parked under a tree adjacent to the green, apparently to wait out the drizzle, but stayed there when it stopped even after they could see that we were ready to tee off. I walked over to them and asked if they could clear the area, pointing out that a) it was dangerous to them to stay if we hit while they were there; and b) that the proper etiquette would be to clear the area and wait behind the group on the next tee. Again I was good-natured about it and prefaced it with a comment about Florida weather, and again, they had no idea that they SHOULDN'T be doing that; and again, I was thanked for my reminder.

Not caring? Where to start...unraked traps, smoldering cigarette butts next to the green, those little liquor bottles that didn't quite make it to the shrubbery where the person emptying it had chucked it, broken tees scattered in the tee boxes, gum wrappers on the cart path, some guy taking it upon himself to show another person in their group how to putt with the next tee empty by hitting a putt and then having the "student" hit a couple from the same sport, etc. etc.

Not knowing is fixable. And if done right you'll usually be thanked for fixing it. Not caring? There've been incidents of violence when someone's actions which may grossly violate proper golf etiquette are called to his/her attention by another golfer. I suppose it is all in how it is approached, but IMO those "ambassadors" could be doing a lot more reminding and correcting behavior than they are doing.
Add to that linked groups congregating next to the last green waiting for 2, 3, or more groups behind to finish. Places where this is not only rude but dangerous---left of #9, Ft. Walton; right of #9 Killdeer; right of #9 Riley and many more. And groups that spend 2 minutes marking and debating scores next to the green. Oh, almost forgot----they sit there in 8 carts waiting and talking loudly while you're trying chip or putt. SHUT THE HECK UP!!!!!!, OR BETTER YET MOVE TO WHERE YOU SHOULD BE WAITING
Old 02-12-2024, 08:59 AM

Pace of play is always an issue. Some of this comes from the fact that we live in a retirement community and people will take their time. We always try to get the first tee time in the morning, that way we don't have to wait for anyone but the grounds crew, we do have to wait sometimes because the starters will send out a buddy or accomplished golfer(s) ahead of us. IN most cases they get out and we never see them again, unless we catch them shagging balls out of the ponds.

We are casual golfers, we're not playing in a tournament or posting scores. Since most courses don't have a driving range or a place to hit balls before the round, we allow mulligan or breakfast ball. We allow one per round, but we keep the pace going. We played Gray Fox this weekend, got started and finished the first hole, saw the groups just pulling up to the first tee box, after that we didn't see anyone until we finished the 6th hole and they were 3 holes behind us.

As for standing behind you when you hit, yes normal etiquette unless you are playing with people with vision issues. Also, while I agree its your job to watch your ball it isn't always possible and if your not watching for other peoples balls you could be adding to the playing time, by having to look for the ball.

From my personal experience, the bigger issues come from not playing Ready Golf, walkers that don't know where to leave their bags, I guess drivers that don't know where to park and finally people playing from the Blacks when they should be playing from the Golds or Greens....
Old 02-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post

From my personal experience, the bigger issues come from not playing Ready Golf, walkers that don't know where to leave their bags, I guess drivers that don't know where to park and finally people playing from the Blacks when they should be playing from the Golds or Greens....

I've played about 250 rounds of golf in TV, but only Championship courses. I have never seen anyone play from the Black Tees & I'm the only person I've ever seen, playing from the Gold Tees ... so I assume you're talking about Executive Courses?

From what I gather from the "Friendly Golf Recommendations", the Executive courses are designed for "friendly something", but i'm not sure I would call it "golf" as it's generally known. I don't think you can expect people playing Executive courses, to behave like they're on the PGA Tour ... more like a minor step up, from a group playing mini-golf at a beach resort.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I've played about 250 rounds of golf in TV, but only Championship courses. I have never seen anyone play from the Black Tees & I'm the only person I've ever seen, playing from the Gold Tees ... so I assume you're talking about Executive Courses?

From what I gather from the "Friendly Golf Recommendations", the Executive courses are designed for "friendly something", but i'm not sure I would call it "golf" as it's generally known. I don't think you can expect people playing Executive courses, to behave like they're on the PGA Tour ... more like a minor step up, from a group playing mini-golf at a beach resort.
I agree. I've played over 1,000 rounds, maybe even 2,000 rounds on the championship courses here. When my friend's son, a PGA pro comes to visit he drags me back to the black tees, but aside from that, I've only joined one threesome years ago that was playing the black. To call the tees on exec courses that add 15 yards to a 95 yard hole "black" is almost an oxymoron---well moronic at best. On the rare occasion I've played an exec, I'm amused at those that marvel at others who play the "black" tees----geez, it's not like teeing it up at 7600 yards at Torrey pines.

Along those lines, 2 years ago when my 11 year old granddaughter came to visit we played Palmetto. The starter, and I quote stated "This a difficult course, the girl might not be able to handle it from the front tees" My response---"She'll be playing the black tees with the rest of us". She shot 35 on par 29, only because she took a triple on one hole.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I agree. I've played over 1,000 rounds, maybe even 2,000 rounds on the championship courses here. When my friend's son, a PGA pro comes to visit he drags me back to the black tees, but aside from that, I've only joined one threesome years ago that was playing the black. To call the tees on exec courses that add 15 yards to a 95 yard hole "black" is almost an oxymoron---well moronic at best. On the rare occasion I've played an exec, I'm amused at those that marvel at others who play the "black" tees----geez, it's not like teeing it up at 7600 yards at Torrey pines.

Along those lines, 2 years ago when my 11 year old granddaughter came to visit we played Palmetto. The starter, and I quote stated "This a difficult course, the girl might not be able to handle it from the front tees" My response---"She'll be playing the black tees with the rest of us". She shot 35 on par 29, only because she took a triple on one hole.
When you're playing in a golf environment, that puts your photo in the newspaper, because you made a "hole in one", playing a 55 yard hole at MickeyLee Pitch & Putt, you can't expect folks playing the free golf courses, are going to be attune to proper golf etiquette at Seminole CC.

I had an Ambassador ask me last week, on the 15th hole, how I was playing. I said, "I'm 3 over to here", he said "oh well, Triple Bogey isn't bad, this is a hard hole."
Old 02-12-2024, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
When you're playing in a golf environment, that puts your photo in the newspaper, because you made a "hole in one", playing a 55 yard hole at MickeyLee Pitch & Putt, you can't expect folks playing the free golf courses, are going to be attune to proper golf etiquette at Seminole CC.

I had an Ambassador ask me last week, on the 15th hole, how I was playing. I said, "I'm 3 over to here", he said "oh well, Triple Bogey isn't bad, this is a hard hole."
You forgot to mention that the 55 yd hole in one was with a driver

Not to mention the "knowledgeable" ambassador.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:

LOL! Thanks for the giggle.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
If you decide you want to play golf then please do not depend on your friends to educate you on golf course etiquette. All "golfers" understand a beginners trepidation when playing their sport, pastime or just something to do. While executive etiquette might vary a small bit from legitimate (aka:championship)courses the individuals actions on the course vary little.

Mulligans: not anywhere near a legit golf term. Many folks think they are perfectly within the code of etiquette to hit an extra tee shot or two from the teeing ground. Not true...especially if there is a group behind you. If you can see your tee shot(no matter how poor it may be)you play it(unless in the brush or water). If you tee up another and get(heaven forbid a hole-in-one)using the second tee shot it's really a 3, not a one. In fact if you hit more than one tee shot you are hitting your 3rd shot from the tee. If it went in the bushes or water then just drop another where you think it went into the "stuff" and call it your second shot(no it's not legal, but it's more like real golf).

Pick up your feet on the greens please. Thank you. Rake your bunkers, fix your pitch marks(when your ball makes a mark on the green). Put sand in your divots...not the divot...it doesn't grow.

Be ready to play.

You are allowed to drive up to any tee when groups are already there unless someone in that group is on the tee and getting ready to hit. You are not "pushing" the group in front by doing so.

You need to have music...use headphones. It's golf...not your car or house. Be considerate.

Don't stand behind me when I'm hitting. I don't care if you can't see where my shot goes....that's my job. If I need help seeing the ball I will ask for it.

Stop taking turns when putting. It's SLOW. It's ready golf. When you are ready...go. The person farthest from the hole goes first(if all of you approach your balls at about the same time). That is an actual USGA golf rule. Yes, per etiquette you shouldn't step or walk in someone else's line of putting, but with the elderly(me included)that is truly impossible.

Please stop telling the new golfers what the etiquette is unless you have researched it first. Many of you are incorrect and just screw thing up.

From a 59 year golfer with many years competing as an amateur, professional greens mower, pin setter and all around golf geek.

Feel free to question my information. I'll be happy to apologize if I'm wrong or gladly set you straight if you are wrong.

Oh, and bouncing a golf ball and looking at its rebound height to determine if it's good or not is bogus. Balls come with various density innards and covers for different swings speeds. LUCK!
Please don’t play executive courses, they are so backed up you can hit 5 balls and still wait on the next hole. Go complain to the club house guy.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
When you're playing in a golf environment, that puts your photo in the newspaper, because you made a "hole in one", playing a 55 yard hole at MickeyLee Pitch & Putt, you can't expect folks playing the free golf courses are going to be attune to proper golf etiquette. "
Hell, they have reported holes in one at putting courses and last week they reported a hole in one at disc golf! Where will they end at discrediting the true accomplishment of a legitimate hole in one?

Tags
golf, tee, etiquette, shot, ready

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.