Etiquette....

Old 02-12-2024, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
If you decide you want to play golf then please do not depend on your friends to educate you on golf course etiquette. All "golfers" understand a beginners trepidation when playing their sport, pastime or just something to do. While executive etiquette might vary a small bit from legitimate (aka:championship)courses the individuals actions on the course vary little.

Mulligans: not anywhere near a legit golf term. Many folks think they are perfectly within the code of etiquette to hit an extra tee shot or two from the teeing ground. Not true...especially if there is a group behind you. If you can see your tee shot(no matter how poor it may be)you play it(unless in the brush or water). If you tee up another and get(heaven forbid a hole-in-one)using the second tee shot it's really a 3, not a one. In fact if you hit more than one tee shot you are hitting your 3rd shot from the tee. If it went in the bushes or water then just drop another where you think it went into the "stuff" and call it your second shot(no it's not legal, but it's more like real golf).

Pick up your feet on the greens please. Thank you. Rake your bunkers, fix your pitch marks(when your ball makes a mark on the green). Put sand in your divots...not the divot...it doesn't grow.

Be ready to play.

You are allowed to drive up to any tee when groups are already there unless someone in that group is on the tee and getting ready to hit. You are not "pushing" the group in front by doing so.

You need to have music...use headphones. It's golf...not your car or house. Be considerate.

Don't stand behind me when I'm hitting. I don't care if you can't see where my shot goes....that's my job. If I need help seeing the ball I will ask for it.

CAP card: it only gives the person it's issued to the right to go to their ball(not their passenger unless they to have a CAP). If in doubt of the following just check the rules(yes I know there are those of you who are special and it doesn't apply...). Stay 30 feet(yes it's 30)from the green, bunkers and tees(when the golf cart path doesn't come that close). Please stop driving on the grass edges near the cart path. The path is plenty wide enough and if you have to drive around a cart do it on the non-course side if possible.

Stop taking turns when putting. It's SLOW. It's ready golf. When you are ready...go. The person farthest from the hole goes first(if all of you approach your balls at about the same time). That is an actual USGA golf rule. Yes, per etiquette you shouldn't step or walk in someone else's line of putting, but with the elderly(me included)that is truly impossible.

Please stop telling the new golfers what the etiquette is unless you have researched it first. Many of you are incorrect and just screw thing up.

From a 59 year golfer with many years competing as an amateur, professional greens mower, pin setter and all around golf geek.

Feel free to question my information. I'll be happy to apologize if I'm wrong or gladly set you straight if you are wrong.

Oh, and bouncing a golf ball and looking at its rebound height to determine if it's good or not is bogus. Balls come with various density innards and covers for different swings speeds. LUCK!
Are you talking about Executive or Championship golf in the Villages. In a perfect world, the theory is that etiquette should be the same regardless of the course type. In reality, one needs to accept the fact that free amateur hour golf etiquette is not going to be the same as playing a course where typically more experienced golfers are paying $75 per round.

A commonly accepted definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. For one’s golfing sanity in the Villages, it’s a very bad idea to play Executive golf frequently and expect to consistently witness proper etiquette (you’re lucky to observe it consistently on the Championship courses).
Old 02-13-2024, 12:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny1 View Post
Played with a twosome ahead of us that hit 2 balls each. We had to wait while they hit their 2 balls each. Also behind us group hit into us and never warned us or apologized. Let the ambassador know and he hopefully told them not to hit before we left the green!
I've had this happen to me playing in a twosome on the pitch and putts twice. To make matters worse, the twosome in front of us playing two balls each being terrible golfers sometimes losing all four of their teeshots between them.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Please don’t play executive courses, they are so backed up you can hit 5 balls and still wait on the next hole. Go complain to the club house guy.
Nobody plays the executive courses in The Villages any more. They're too crowded.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
The Mortal 1 is so spot on ! But unfortunately we are dealing with Entitlement, and a build up of Plaque in the Grey matter! These people really know how to push my buttons..They can ruin a nice day out on the course.
How about vacationing ABnB dream vacationers at one of the largest golf resorts in the u s now (thanks to .... ) un-educated in golf perfection like the rest of us on totv lol.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:43 AM

Get a grip.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:32 AM
Default Playing Executives in The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Nobody plays the executive courses in The Villages any more. They're too crowded.
On tap for our foursomes this week - De La Vista today; Hill Top tomorrow; Becall Thursday. We played Silver Lake, El Santiago and Richmond last week. Saturday we had 11 couples playing Okeechobee. We all live in a neighborhood surrounded by the Loblolly executive course. We are considerate of the players in front of us and behind us and we don't even keep score - but we definitely play "ready golf"! 4 years ago, we were slow, now we move with the flow.

Imagine, though, what the championship courses would be like if "free golf" on the 41 executive, three pitch & putt, and 4 putt & play courses didn't exist...
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 02-13-2024, 09:36 AM
Smile Amen

Well written. NOBODY SHOULD be allowed to play golf unless they have attended GOOD GOLF SCHOOL. We all get tired of those that refuse to fix green ball marks and tramp through sand traps without raking them. Mark your score when you reach the next tee box.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:40 AM

What are the rules on the Pitch N Putts? I was golfing a Pitch in Putt. This was only my second time ever golfing what you may consider a course. We kept well ahead of the couple behind us all 18 holes. But we get to the last hole and went to get our balls out of the mud and shrubs where they landed from the initial shot. The man walked up to the tee without waiting a minute and screamed "We're waiting!" Seriously, be patient on a course that is meant for learning.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:44 AM

"Nobody plays the executive courses anymore, they are too backed up" ; why a backup when nobody plays them?
For those fortunate enough to be full time residents or 6 month residents; please have a little tolerance for those of us visiting for a one or 2 month stay. We are there for a short time, wishing we were there longer. We are having a great time and may forget a few rules. We have been "scolded" and "schooled" by unpleasant full time residents. I apologize........you were once new too. We love to be able to experience just a short time in The Villages and hope to be there more.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaw View Post

We have been "scolded" and "schooled" by unpleasant full time residents.

Do full-time residents where a name tag or uniform? How can you tell the full-time residents, from the short term renters?
Old 02-13-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
because you made a "hole in one", playing a 55 yard hole at MickeyLee Pitch & Putt
Wait a damed minute, I'm very proud of the hole in one I made at MickeyLee. The fact that it was in a different cup than the hole I was playing doesn't bother me a bit!
Old 02-13-2024, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
What are the rules on the Pitch N Putts? I was golfing a Pitch in Putt. This was only my second time ever golfing what you may consider a course. We kept well ahead of the couple behind us all 18 holes. But we get to the last hole and went to get our balls out of the mud and shrubs where they landed from the initial shot. The man walked up to the tee without waiting a minute and screamed "We're waiting!" Seriously, be patient on a course that is meant for learning.
I think the accepted rule of thumb is that you can spend no more than 5 minutes looking for your ball.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:23 PM

Let's remember, its not free golf. We pay our amenity fee's and if you use your golf cart you have to pay trail fee's plus if you use the online app for making reservations, that also has a monthly fee....
Old 02-13-2024, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I think the accepted rule of thumb is that you can spend no more than 5 minutes looking for your ball.
The time limit under the Rules of Golf is 3 minutes.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Do full-time residents where a name tag or uniform? How can you tell the full-time residents, from the short term renters?
Basically, because full-timers are very quick to let you know, and many of them can't be bothered to rake or repair!

Tags
golf, tee, etiquette, shot, ready

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.