Etiquette....

Old 02-13-2024, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlsam View Post
Well written. NOBODY SHOULD be allowed to play golf unless they have attended GOOD GOLF SCHOOL. We all get tired of those that refuse to fix green ball marks and tramp through sand traps without raking them. Mark your score when you reach the next tee box.
Nobody???? Let's see---Stewart Cink's mom lives here, if he wants to play a round he should have to go to good golf school first? Patrick Reed holds the course record at Havana---I doubt he would have played if Good Golf School was mandatory. I doubt any of our club or teaching pros have attended good golf school---make them???? And finally, I've played competitively for 55 years---You know where I think that suggestion should be "placed".
Old 02-13-2024, 03:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I think the accepted rule of thumb is that you can spend no more than 5 minutes looking for your ball.
///

Already answered.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:59 PM
Default Muligans - Exec courses and time of play

Mortal 1 Says - Mulligans: not anywhere near a legit golf term. Many folks think they are perfectly within the code of etiquette to hit an extra tee shot or two from the teeing ground. Not true...especially if there is a group behind you.

I say - If I am waiting on every tee box for a group ahead of me, I will hit a "Mulligan" any time I want, sometimes even as a practice shot, and also encourage my playing partners to do the same if they desire. The Exec courses are for practive and fun play. My playing groups will NEVER be the hold-up on any golf course, as I will speed them up whenever necessary.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
Mortal 1 Says - Mulligans: not anywhere near a legit golf term. Many folks think they are perfectly within the code of etiquette to hit an extra tee shot or two from the teeing ground. Not true...especially if there is a group behind you.

I say - If I am waiting on every tee box for a group ahead of me, I will hit a "Mulligan" any time I want, sometimes even as a practice shot, and also encourage my playing partners to do the same if they desire. The Exec courses are for practive and fun play. My playing groups will NEVER be the hold-up on any golf course, as I will speed them up whenever necessary.
There you go folks.

A perfect example of what everyone complains about.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post

Well....... Mortal is right, proper etiquette does not include extra shots

This must not apply to everyone, because as just stated, some people view themselves as exceptions. Some might even use the term "entitled"
Old 02-13-2024, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Golfers have etiquette? O that’s rare……
Old 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
There you go folks.

A perfect example of what everyone complains about.
Not sure why they are complaining about it on the executive courses? If they are not holding up anyone, and staying in the allocated time for each hole, then why are other people concerned about it? New players make several mistakes, if they have the time to correct it with a Mulligan etc. why does it take the skin off anyone else’s nose? When my group is assigned a fourth player we are clear that some in the group are just learning and the individual can stay to play with us or leave. No one has ever left us and each “outsider” so far seems to have enjoyed our company. We try our best. That is what the executive courses were intended for.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Not sure why they are complaining about it on the executive courses? If they are not holding up anyone, and staying in the allocated time for each hole, then why are other people concerned about it? New players make several mistakes, if they have the time to correct it with a Mulligan etc. why does it take the skin off anyone else’s nose? When my group is assigned a fourth player we are clear that some in the group are just learning and the individual can stay to play with us or leave. No one has ever left us and each “outsider” so far seems to have enjoyed our company. We try our best. That is what the executive courses were intended for.
No, that’s what practice ranges are for
Old 02-13-2024, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, that’s what practice ranges are for
Practice ranges help to a certain extent, but to get better you need a golf course or at least a “junior” golf course such as the executive courses are. That is where you learn how to play the game, not just practice certain strokes, and the etiquette too. Well, at least in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Practice ranges help to a certain extent, but to get better you need a golf course or at least a “junior” golf course such as the executive courses are. That is where you learn how to play the game, not just practice certain strokes, and the etiquette too. Well, at least in my opinion.
That’s where you get playing/ course experience, not practice swing/shots
Old 02-13-2024, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
That’s where you get playing/ course experience, not practice swing/shots
Yes.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Other are concerned about it, because all you don't know about golf, is coming through loud and clear. Folks who don't know anything about golf, seem to think their job on a golf course, is to stay ahead of the folks behind them. That's not the case. Your responsibility is to keep up to the folks in front of you ... not "play in an allotted time".

"When your group is assigned another player"? Get off your high horse and entitled attitude. Your group isn't "assigned" anything. You're playing a public course, that everyone has the exact same rights to, as you or your group. I'm sure the other players "assigned" to your group, go home and tell their friends about the "group he got stuck with".

If I was "assigned" to your group, the second you told me you were taking mulligans at will and using the golf course for "practice", I'd be on my way to see the head Professional at whatever Championship course managed the Exec you were on.

If you want to "practice" on a golf course, show up at 5:45 and just maybe, they'll be no one around to explain how golf courses operate. In the meantime, please reserve your practice for the driving ranges, that's what they're for.

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-13-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Other are concerned about it, because all you don't know about golf, is coming through loud and clear. Folks who don't know anything about golf, seem to think their job on a golf course, is to stay ahead of the folks behind them. That's not the case. Your responsibility is to keep up to the folks in front of you ... not "play in an allotted time".

"When your group is assigned another player"? Get off your high horse and entitled attitude. Your group isn't "assigned" anything. You're playing a public course, that everyone has the exact same rights to, as you or your group. I'm sure the other players "assigned" to your group, go home and tell their friends about the "group he got stuck with".

If I was "assigned" to your group, the second you told me you were taking mulligans at will and using the golf course for "practice", I'd be on my way to see the head Professional at whatever Championship course managed the Exec you were on.

If you want to "practice" on a golf course, show up at 5:45 and just maybe, they'll be no one around to explain how golf courses operate. In the meantime, please reserve your practice for the driving ranges, that's what they're for.
The Villages courses were designed for Villagers and not the public so they are not public courses. Now we can argue what the definition of public is… lol… and my group tries not to upset our “guest” so to speak. Within reason we try to accommodate his/her wishes too. But we will not put up with bullying. And so far it has worked out, happily. Actually when I was a very beginner, I did get the last tee for the day regularly.

Last edited by Velvet; 02-13-2024 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Agree, difficult to obtain tee times and if one wants to play nine on the Championship Courses there are many open times from 7:28 to 8:00. Then one can take time to relax and not be rushed. If a group behind is playing faster increase your pace or let them play through.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Well....... Mortal is right, proper etiquette does not include extra shots

This must not apply to everyone, because as just stated, some people view themselves as exceptions. Some might even use the term "entitled"
Kinda like debating the spirit vs. the letter of the law.

IMO "etiquette" was developed over time so players do not unduly inconvenience other players by action or inaction, and players don't do things either neglectfully or intentionally that harms or takes away from the structure and attractiveness of the course or the general appearance of the people using it. I'm not going to get my undies in a bundle--even though technically it might be a violation of etiquette--if some guy in the group ahead of me hits a mulligan, or sashays on over to a water hazard to take a snapshot of a sunning gator, as long as the pace of play is not negatively affected by him doing so. Things like hitting a couple of balls out of a trap after the first shot goes awry and then not raking the trap, giving "putting lessons" on a green when the tee ahead is wide open, or other such transgressions obviously break the spirit as well as the letter, and would definitely merit something at least being said.

Tags
golf, tee, etiquette, shot, ready

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.