excessive use of rope on executive courses

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Default excessive/improper use of rope on executive courses

This was my first post and It was an eye opener. The majority of the replies blamed the "tripper" and never could see the real problem of too many ropes on tees that were not doing their intended job but instead creating an obstacle to golfers and pace of play. I think the photos easily prove this point about placement . Ropes should protect the golfer wet areas, and newly seeded or sodded areas. To block off a tee of green without attempting to fix the bad area is not helping. Most replies seem to suggest if a barrier were put in the middle of the road on 441 for no valid reason and a car hit it causing injury that some how it was total the driver at fault as he could have driven around. Key point.. "for no valid reason". By these way the photos show that it is not golf carts that caused the problem, it is water run off from elevated tees. These photos were not exception but true in almost all case. I thank everyone for your replies.

Last edited by genecruey; 07-23-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecruey View Post
if you have had or know someone who tripped on executive ropes I would like hear about it. my thoughts are below.

ROPES ON EXECUTIVE COURSE

With all due respect to those who keep our executive course in the best possible shape, I wish to make a few points concerning ropes by Greens and Tees.

First I must say I personally have seen several trips and falls due to these ropes. Today I played with a couple who knew someone who tripped over the rope and broke their shoulder. They thought he may have initiated a lawsuit. Another was pretty bad as a results of landing face first on cart path. This was someone who had to give up pickle ball due to a diagnosed “brain bleed” and a fall could have lead to death. We are a community of seniors and many must have handicap markers on their cart due to disabilities. I believe everyone can agree the ropes are a hazard without blaming the victim. .

I have made several observations that I challenge anyone to check out for accuracy.

1. I have observed that in the vast majority of cases the rope has blocked off dirt and sand areas which have no chance of recovering by simply limiting traffic on them. Grass does not magically sprout out on hard pan bare areas. (probably my strongest point other than safety which is enough in itself). Currently in many cases, this just funnels traffic to the ends of the rope causing more damage in areas that were not as bad thus extending not fixing any bad areas and slows play..

If it has grass seed or sod in an attempt to fix, by all means rope it off.
Grass will never grow just by limiting traffic. Typical example found on every course.

3 I started to take note when the campaign to enforce pulling to close to the edge of path and having one tire on the grass began. I have found very little evidence that this is a prevalent problem. There are bare areas near the paths but clearly not caused by this problem. Water erosion, because these ropes are lower than the tee or green funnel it into the bad areas or cause them.

4. In many cases the ropes make an impaired golfer have to walk quiet a bit more distance to tee off. I/we want them on the course, right, I admire them and pray I will have the same tenacity and will not have to walk a
n obstical to get to the Tee or Green.

5. As I mention in the opening, they are a hazard and slow up play.

6. We do many things to speed up play but the ropes do the opposite.

7. Seems obvious but the ropes by the tees are not in play hardly at all and those by the green are in play but you get relief from path or bad areas with or without them. Now the relief is from the rope unless, as some do, you pull up the rope hit and put it back... slows play yes. As I said, just a safety hazard.

I have repeatedly ask why the ropes and the brainwashed answer is it keeps carts from ruining the grass. Come on, just look. When a cart tire is on the path at all it is not touching the ground thus only when an ill informed handicapped player leaves the path is it a problem and me for one can live with that and I believe very little damages is done.

On behalf of me and my fellow aging golf nuts, I implore you to revisit the use of ropes. I have no doubt this was done in good faith to create a better course but sadly it has not done that but only created slower play and a safety hazard.
I would like to discuss this with the appropriate staff and know that it is receiving the proper attention.
I don't doubt it is possible but we have lived here and I have played the courses for more than nine years and I haven't seen or heard of anyone tripping. More than that, bad things usually appear on this forum and yours is the first about falling over the ropes that I have read in ten years.

As you may know, this forum is not an official place or connected to The official Villages or to the Golf courses in any way. Some good soul will soon read this and post the name and telephone number of the director of Executive Golf. Welcome to the forum. I hope you have been happy in this lovely town we have all chosen, for the most part, anyway..........
Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM

I have observed people trip and fall over these ropes.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
if you have had or know someone who tripped on executive ropes I would like hear about it. my thoughts are below.

ROPES ON EXECUTIVE COURSE

With all due respect to those who keep our executive course in the best possible shape, I wish to make a few points concerning ropes by Greens and Tees.

First I must say I personally have seen several trips and falls due to these ropes. Today I played with a couple who knew someone who tripped over the rope and broke their shoulder. They thought he may have initiated a lawsuit. Another was pretty bad as a results of landing face first on cart path. This was someone who had to give up pickle ball due to a diagnosed “brain bleed” and a fall could have lead to death. We are a community of seniors and many must have handicap markers on their cart due to disabilities. I believe everyone can agree the ropes are a hazard without blaming the victim. .

I have made several observations that I challenge anyone to check out for accuracy.

1. I have observed that in the vast majority of cases the rope has blocked off dirt and sand areas which have no chance of recovering by simply limiting traffic on them. Grass does not magically sprout out on hard pan bare areas. (probably my strongest point other than safety which is enough in itself). Currently in many cases, this just funnels traffic to the ends of the rope causing more damage in areas that were not as bad thus extending not fixing any bad areas and slows play..

If it has grass seed or sod in an attempt to fix, by all means rope it off.
Grass will never grow just by limiting traffic. Typical example found on every course.

3 I started to take note when the campaign to enforce pulling to close to the edge of path and having one tire on the grass began. I have found very little evidence that this is a prevalent problem. There are bare areas near the paths but clearly not caused by this problem. Water erosion, because these ropes are lower than the tee or green funnel it into the bad areas or cause them.

4. In many cases the ropes make an impaired golfer have to walk quiet a bit more distance to tee off. I/we want them on the course, right, I admire them and pray I will have the same tenacity and will not have to walk a
n obstical to get to the Tee or Green.

5. As I mention in the opening, they are a hazard and slow up play.

6. We do many things to speed up play but the ropes do the opposite.

7. Seems obvious but the ropes by the tees are not in play hardly at all and those by the green are in play but you get relief from path or bad areas with or without them. Now the relief is from the rope unless, as some do, you pull up the rope hit and put it back... slows play yes. As I said, just a safety hazard.

I have repeatedly ask why the ropes and the brainwashed answer is it keeps carts from ruining the grass. Come on, just look. When a cart tire is on the path at all it is not touching the ground thus only when an ill informed handicapped player leaves the path is it a problem and me for one can live with that and I believe very little damages is done.

On behalf of me and my fellow aging golf nuts, I implore you to revisit the use of ropes. I have no doubt this was done in good faith to create a better course but sadly it has not done that but only created slower play and a safety hazard.
I would like to discuss this with the appropriate staff and know that it is receiving the proper attention.
To TOTV and You have won the best 1st. post of the day award.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:59 PM

I played night golf and the ropes were left up. I thought that was very dangerous
Old 07-21-2017, 02:12 PM

My friend tripped and broke her hip recently
Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Platinum member

When I encounter a rope, I walk around it. This makes tripping on the rope impossible. When the time comes where I fail to recognize the presence of the rope, it is time to take up tiddly winks.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 07-21-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:35 PM

please just observe what they are protecting while blocking the tees.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
please just observe what they are protecting while blocking the tees.
I don't care what they are protecting.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I'm watching the Open on T.V. and guess what I just saw.... rope! Good enough for Royal Birkdale then it's good enough for the Villages.
I don't think there is a course anywhere that doesn't use it. And to answer a few posters - I've seen people trip over many things -
ropes, sprinkler heads, rakes etc. You have to watch what you are doing. I played night golf once with a guy who tripped on the edge of a trap, but never tripped over a rope in the dark.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

I've only seen excessive ropes at the Town Squares, on chairs.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:51 PM

excessive use that does not protect wet or growing areas. Just dirt. Ropes are useful when placed appropriately' I'm all for them properly placed.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM

The excessive use has only recently started(past few months). Prior to that they were placed appropriately and were effective.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimivillager View Post
My friend tripped and broke her hip recently
Where? At home or where?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
We have broken hips, broken shoulder, black eyes and scrapes and my post gets "I don't care". "walk around them' Virtually calling our less agile golfers klutzes and if I can't avoid a rope I will take up Tiddly winks (you will get there) . Only 120 looks and O. J. s pardon gets over 1000 in just minutes. Eye opener. Pity.
Others just don't have the same concern as you. Nothing personal, just not as concerned.

My understanding of ropes...........go around, not over.

Good Luck with your crusade.
Closed Thread

Tags
ropes, areas, rope, play, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.