Exec. courses "pace-of-play" is very slow!

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Smile Exec. courses "pace-of-play" is very slow!

Initially I thought the courses were clogged due to the snowbirds, now a major problem is very slow play. Mostly the women's groups/foursomes take too long to play a hole. Most hit from tees too far back instead of using green tees. Putting takes forever as they do not play "ready" golf. This is a big problem and the Ambassadors/Starters are powerless to do much about it. Especially since the women players will call the golf office and complain about the rude Ambassador. Out of fear nothing is done about this growing problem.

Women leaders need to speak up, then lead by suggestion and example. Perhaps a yellow card needs to be issued to slow play group members and they cannot play again until attending a Good Golf or Ready Golf session.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We are retired and left the pace of play issue back at the clubs we used to belong to.

Concern about pace of play on a 9 hole course?

People are retired.
They are old(er).
Some even handicapped.

I never liked the notion of pace of play on what is supposed to be relaxation. And now that I am retired and older my measure is that I am still able to come out and play....not how fast I do it.

Sometimes it is painful to have to wait....but it gives one an opportunity to enjoy the surroundinds here in TV.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 PM

It's not just st the women. I have seen many men playing from the tips who cannot hit the ball that far. Their ego gets in the way of good golf. People should also be courteous and move on after par is doubled.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier65 View Post
Initially I thought the courses were clogged due to the snowbirds, now a major problem is very slow play. Mostly the women's groups/foursomes take too long to play a hole. Most hit from tees too far back instead of using green tees. Putting takes forever as they do not play "ready" golf. This is a big problem and the Ambassadors/Starters are powerless to do much about it. Especially since the women players will call the golf office and complain about the rude Ambassador. Out of fear nothing is done about this growing problem.

Women leaders need to speak up, then lead by suggestion and example. Perhaps a yellow card needs to be issued to slow play group members and they cannot play again until attending a Good Golf or Ready Golf session.
Your post is full of stereo types and unfounded generalities obviously against women golfers. Our ladies foursomes have been behind plenty of slow foursomes of men who take unlimited mulligans, take multiple practice swings before they hit the ball, search for lost balls and will not give up until they find them, line up their putts from every possible angle before they putt, sit in their golf carts marking their score cards before they leave the green. and countless other things that slow up the play. Maybe , as you put it , the men leaders should "speak up to their groups then lead by example and they can not play again until attending a Good Golf School or Ready Golf session." Oh and don't forget giving the slow men a yellow card.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We are retired and left the pace of play issue back at the clubs we used to belong to.

People are retired.
They are old(er).
Some even handicapped.

I never liked the notion of pace of play on what is supposed to be relaxation. And now that I am retired and older my measure is that I am still able to come out and play....not how fast I do it.

Sometimes it is painful to have to wait....but it gives one an opportunity to enjoy the surroundinds here in TV.
I agree 100 percent.

I agree 100 percent.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

Some people ridicule me when I play from the green tees, but I know my limits. I'm sure as I play more I'll be able to move back but for now this makes for a more enjoyable round for me and lets me keep up with the others in my group.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Default Not really a good suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

People are retired.
They are old(er).
Some even handicapped.

This is not the issue. Retired has nothing to do with the problem. Being over 70 is not the problem. Surroundings are peripheral to why one is on the course. Going along to get along does not resolve the very slow play.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

In December of '14 on your first post you inquired if people walked the golf courses and now a little over six months later you have concluded women are causing the slow play.

I had to look up what "Cavalier" meant, but now I know.

I am a huge advocate of keeping the pace of play, but I don't think it is one gender more than another causing the delays.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-23-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Default Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
Some people ridicule me when I play from the green tees, but I know my limits. I'm sure as I play more I'll be able to move back but for now this makes for a more enjoyable round for me and lets me keep up with the others in my group.
Thanks for your common sense approach
Old 07-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Default Denial, denial, denial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Michiganders View Post
Your post is full of stereo types and unfounded generalities obviously against women golfers. Our ladies foursomes have been behind plenty of slow foursomes of men who take unlimited mulligans, take multiple practice swings before they hit the ball, search for lost balls and will not give up until they find them, line up their putts from every possible angle before they putt, sit in their golf carts marking their score cards before they leave the green. and countless other things that slow up the play. Maybe , as you put it , the men leaders should "speak up to their groups then lead by example and they can not play again until attending a Good Golf School or Ready Golf session." Oh and don't forget giving the slow men a yellow card.
Although I agree about some of the men golfers overestimating their power, endlessly looking for lost balls after hitting from the wrong tees for their capabilities, etc. This does not address the bigger problem of slow play by women on the Exec. Courses. Please, this is not a blame-the-other-sex post instead it is about a real problem of play.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM

I too have noticed that the pace of play seems to have slowed considerably on the Executive courses in the afternoons/evenings. I do not however place the blame on male vs. female and in fact the slowest round I have had recently was while playing behind a mixed foursome (2 male and 2 female). Obviously there are some people either do not understand or do not care about the concept of "ready golf". This particular afternoon I stood and watched as not one, not two but three shots each were taken by two of the four players even though the previous shots were technically in play. Add to that the four attempts in the sand trap and I was driven to drink. Oh, and when you walk off the green, please move your golf cart to the next tee before you decide to debate or rehash everyone' score or maybe decide where everyone wants to go for dinner after the round.

Thank goodness I had the forethought on this particular afternoon to carry enough beer with me to make it through the entire round. Folks, nobody is trying to rush you or keep you from enjoying the beautiful scenery but please, please go to the driving ranges for your practice and quit trying to teach during your round. Everyone will be better off and you will enjoy the game more.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
It's not just st the women. I have seen many men playing from the tips who cannot hit the ball that far. Their ego gets in the way of good golf. People should also be courteous and move on after par is doubled.
Agree
Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Agree, agree, agree. It makes no difference who or what gender.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

That could very well be considered by some to be insulting. Now, if you want to talk about the pace of play. Do it.

While we're young.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Try and address the topic instead of throwing out insults.
The topic should be pace of play not women being slow!! Just the other night my friend & I were playing after 5 on Bonifay and we thought it was going to be a slow night because there was a threesome of women in front of us. Well we weren't wrong about the pace but it wasn't because of the women directly in front of us. It was the foursome of men ahead of them that slowed the pace. These guys had a hole to a hole and a half in front of them completely open.Whether your on the Championship courses or the executive courses if you notice that you are not keeping up with the people in front of you then YOU ARE PLAYING TOO SLOW!!!! Please be considerate of those trying to enjoy their rounds and most like myself do not enjoy waiting to play every shot!!
Closed Thread

Tags
play, golf, slow, women, problem, ready, courses, tees, leaders, problem.cryin2, growing, call, players, office, complain, ambassador, rude, fear, members, group, attending, session.22yikes, good, issued, suggestion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.