Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

seems to be the 5 closest to home are the best
Old 07-20-2022, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Why???? (I don't play execs, so it's a legitimate question)
Pelican is probably the hardest executive. If you’re new to golf, it’s not fun.

2 par 4s (one with a lake on the left the other over swamp)
1 or 2 long par 3
First and second hole are blind shots

It’s great for a challenge for better golfers

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 07-21-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts
Default Results to date

So far, Pelican and Truman have 5 votes; Roosevelt has 4; and Lowland, Volusia, and Southern Star have 3 votes.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,095 Times in 4,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Pelican is probably the hardest executive. If you’re new to gold, it’s not fun.

2 par 4s (one with a lake on the left the other over swamp)
1 or 2 long par 3
First and second hole are blind shots

It’s great for a challenge for better golfers
I'll have to take your word for it since i doubt I'll bother to play an exec. I guess it depends on one's perspective. Bethpage Black, Muirfield Village, Pinehurst #2 and Pine Valley are hard especially from the tips. More locally, Copperhead, TPC Sawgrass, and PGA National Champions course are hard. Pelican Executive course in the Villages----not so much. But I suppose one could build and executive course with nothing but replicas of the 9 hardest par 3's over 250 yds. from all around the country and it would be quite hard.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:58 AM
Default Pelican

I like Pelican because I think it's the most difficult executive course in the Villages.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:00 AM
Gold member

The courses up north are always in top condition because of the distance. Amberwood and Oakleigh are great courses to play. I agree on Pelican being a tough course to play.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,297 Times in 2,843 Posts

Quote:
I'll have to take your word for it since i doubt I'll bother to play an exec. I guess it depends on one's perspective. Bethpage Black, Muirfield Village, Pinehurst #2 and Pine Valley are hard especially from the tips. More locally, Copperhead, TPC Sawgrass, and PGA National Champions course are hard. Pelican Executive course in the Villages----not so much. But I suppose one could build and executive course with nothing but replicas of the 9 hardest par 3's over 250 yds. from all around the country and it would be quite hard.
It’s all relative, Pelican is hard by Villages Executive golf standards. It certainly doesn’t come close to anything listed above. I like it because it has relatively few homes and nice scenery playing along the backside of Lake Miona (very much like Hibiscus at Cane Garden). I am concerned the course will loose some of its character because the much publicized million dollar mile hiking trail appears to run along part of the course. Trust me, if you get annoyed by pace of play and etiquette at the Villages Championship courses, you won’t be happy at any of the Executives. Playing the Executives requires a different set of expectations and a fair amount of patience. Golf on : )
Old 07-20-2022, 09:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I'll have to take your word for it since i doubt I'll bother to play an exec. I guess it depends on one's perspective. Bethpage Black, Muirfield Village, Pinehurst #2 and Pine Valley are hard especially from the tips. More locally, Copperhead, TPC Sawgrass, and PGA National Champions course are hard. Pelican Executive course in the Villages----not so much.
I have only played one of them and Bethpage is hard from the front tees! If you can't hit it at least 250 off the tee, it is a long day (and I have had some long days on the course). However, I don't think you can compare any course in The Villages to some of the best and hardest courses in the world.

Hard is relative so for your typical Villages' golfer (many of them have taken up the game once they got here), I think that a lot of the courses are hard. From my limited experience, most golfers have trouble breaking 35 on the executive courses. I don't think I have ever played with anyone who has shot under par on an executive course. And I don't think I have ever seen anyone tee off from the back tees!
Old 07-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,095 Times in 4,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have only played one of them and Bethpage is hard from the front tees! If you can't hit it at least 250 off the tee, it is a long day (and I have had some long days on the course). However, I don't think you can compare any course in The Villages to some of the best and hardest courses in the world.

Hard is relative so for your typical Villages' golfer (many of them have taken up the game once they got here), I think that a lot of the courses are hard. From my limited experience, most golfers have trouble breaking 35 on the executive courses. I don't think I have ever played with anyone who has shot under par on an executive course. And I don't think I have ever seen anyone tee off from the back tees!
Really??? That's interesting.

But here's a story then. In 8 years I've played about 4 times on an exec usually with visitors. Last spring my son and 10 year old granddaughter were here so we played Palmetto. I had a letter from my pro certifying that she was OK to play even though she was under 14. The very nice lady at the starter shack was fine with it, but added "this is a level 3 course (whatever that means), so the girl might have trouble even from the front tees". My response was simple---"That shouldn't be a problem since she will be playing the black tees with the rest of us" She shot 34 never using more than a 6 iron.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 AM

5 Best Executive courses? "Best" parameters? Longest, hardest, most scenic, narrowest, lots of trees and shade, open field - links style, water, bunkers? What's your golf ability level? If you're an Executive Level 1 (high handicap) golfer, you won't enjoy any Level 4 and many Level 3 courses. A Level 3 or 4 (lower handicap) golfer can still enjoy working on their short game on a Level 1 course. Know your skill level and abilities, pick the course and tees that are best for you and those playing behind you. Know good golf etiquette, play ready golf. Cheers!

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 07-20-2022, 10:46 AM
Default Executive courses

Quote:
I have been here about a year and have limited my golf to nearby executive courses.

However, for the next few months (before they get crowded) I am hoping to play one or two new executive courses each month and would like recommendations for the top 5 to play and the top 5 to avoid. Thanks.
Best 5 Pelican, Oakleigh, Amberwood, Grey Fox and Turtle Mound
Old 07-20-2022, 10:48 AM
Default Exec Courses

Quote:
So far, Pelican and Truman have 5 votes; Roosevelt has 4; and Lowland, Volusia, and Southern Star have 3 votes.
Southern bias
Old 07-20-2022, 11:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
5 Best Executive courses? "Best" parameters? Longest, hardest, most scenic, narrowest, lots of trees and shade, open field - links style, water, bunkers? What's your golf ability level? If you're an Executive Level 1 (high handicap) golfer, you won't enjoy any Level 4 and many Level 3 courses. A Level 3 or 4 (lower handicap) golfer can still enjoy working on their short game on a Level 1 course. Know your skill level and abilities, pick the course and tees that are best for you and those playing behind you. Know good golf etiquette, play ready golf. Cheers!
I am asking for the reader's opinion of what is best. My parameter for best - if you knew that this would be the last executive course that you would ever play - what would it be?? Your last round of golf on an executive course - what do you choose?
Old 07-20-2022, 12:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
Southern bias
No bias on my part. I live south of 466A and almost never play north of 466 because of the distance and the fact I am within a fifteen minute cart ride of eighteen courses. When I am in Missouri ( about six months) I play par 72 courses once or twice a week to a fifteen handicap. When in TV I enjoy the quicker, less expensive and fun Executive courses. To each his/her own.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:22 PM
Default Skill level matters

I like Bogart, Volusia, Sarasota, Turtle Mound and De La Vista. I stay away from Pelican, Redfish Run and Belmont. Skill level matters and I enjoy a smooth game that is not too serious. In the final analysis they are all enjoyable but some are better if you walk. Fore!!
Closed Thread

Tags
executive, courses, top, play, hoping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.