Financial penalty for missing exec tee time during high season?

View Poll Results: Do you support a financial penalty for missing executive tee time during high season?
YES 26 20.63%
NO 100 79.37%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts
Default Financial penalty for missing exec tee time during high season?

There’s a recent post from a starter, where 20 people did not show up for a tee time, times 40 executives, that’s 800 slots.

What if there was a financial penalty if you do not cancel by midnight the night before?
No need to determine if it’s $25 or $100. But the concept?
Old 02-08-2024, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

I think 2400 cancellation points (20 golfer cancel X 40 execs X 3 cancellation points) is adequate. What would you do with golfers that have a legitimate reason for cancellation the day of their tee time ? Who gets to police that and how ? Great idea - give a HOA ( loose term) more authority. I live here for the lifestyle not controversy. In reality how many times per year have you got shut out for a request providing you are not in a gang of 12 16 20 plus? If one really wanted to impact the shutouts - limit tee times to only a foursome request during Jan - March.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
What would you do with golfers that have a legitimate reason for cancellation the day of their tee time ?
Call the starter shack.
If you’re in the hospital, you’re discharge papers relieve you of your debt.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I think 2400 cancellation points (20 golfer cancel X 40 execs X 3 cancellation points) is adequate.
Apparently cancellation points are not a deterrent.

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 02-08-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
There’s a recent post from a starter, where 20 people did not show up for a tee time, times 40 executives, that’s 800 slots.
I don't necessarily agree with a financial punishment but maybe not let them book another timeslot for 7 days would suffice.

I was definitely getting irritated during the last month when people were clearly being "no shows" due to suboptimal weather on some days.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
I think 2400 cancellation points (20 golfer cancel X 40 execs X 3 cancellation points) is adequate. What would you do with golfers that have a legitimate reason for cancellation the day of their tee time ? Who gets to police that and how ? Great idea - give a HOA ( loose term) more authority. I live here for the lifestyle not controversy. In reality how many times per year have you got shut out for a request providing you are not in a gang of 12 16 20 plus? If one really wanted to impact the shutouts - limit tee times to only a foursome request during Jan - March.
Thank you for pointing out what a "slippery slop" or "Pandora's box" that idea is. I have no idea, but it has passed my mind that many proposed "solutions" (and I'm talking in GENERAL now, not this particular situation and location) are (the solutions proposed I mean) often conceived in anger and therefore are seldom analyzed for the potential of negative results compared to the possible gains... in other words, lack of contingency thinking ? I can hear it now, a person or couple of very limited retirement income incurs a fine (as you said, so many legitimate reasons, especially at this age) and can't pay it that month. Inevitably the more "elite" among our residents will begin harping about how if someone can not afford a fine, then they should make sure they never miss a tee time, or, GET OUT of the villages (we all know that type).
Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with a financial punishment but maybe not let them book another timeslot for 7 days would suffice.

I was definitely getting irritated during the last month when people were clearly being "no shows" due to suboptimal weather on some days.
Well that certainly is a much more logical "punishment" than imposing monetary "fines" in this type of senior community. I'd even say as many as ten days of revoking the privilege of making advanced reservations would not be unreasonable. But the trouble with this type of thing is it would require an entire plan for "refereeing and reviewing individual cases; like a person who missed the tee time because they passed out due to blood sugar and were taken to ER, but after treatment and insulin adjustment, was perfectly fine to return to normal activities. Should that person loose his/her privilege or be fined ? What about the guy to runs to help a neighbor with an emergency ? Some might say "one offs", but in a community this large, IMO it could take full time employees to review and rule on all the situations that could arise ! Just bar offenders from the reservation system for a time, next "offense" automatically add 2 additional days, 3 offenses, 2 MORE days and so on. Highly unlikely an individual would have 3 or 4 legitimate "emergencies" in a month or two ? If there are any open times, offenders can just take a chance on showing up and finding one but blocked out of reservation system automatically for the prescribed "penalty" time.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 02-08-2024 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add word for clarity
Old 02-09-2024, 05:46 AM

The system is fine the way it is.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Call the starter shack.
If you’re in the hospital, you’re discharge papers relieve you of your debt.
I stopped to help a little old lady change a flat tire and missed my tee rime. Will a note from her suffice ?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

No no and no. Just how do you propose to collect the money from those who refuse to pay? No shows at golf courses have been an issue from the days of the Scots. No reason to think that we can solve it.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:01 AM
Gold member

This plan would disadvantage those with less money & advantage those with more money. Additionally, it would tend to advantage younger retirees, or almost retirees & disadvantage older retirees. Due to inflation generally younger retirees are collecting more social security & some almost retirees are still currently working. Yes, I know there are some 'rich' retirees, they would be advantaged in sentence 1.
Additionally younger retirees who might vote for a plan such as this, due to having more disposable income & less patience, would eventually be disadvantaged themselves, as their healthcare costs rise & their income no longer keeps up with inflation, as the fees imposed to today would surely rise in the future as all fees do.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
No no and no. Just how do you propose to collect the money from those who refuse to pay? No shows at golf courses have been an issue from the days of the Scots. No reason to think that we can solve it.
Give a HOA more authority and they will put a lien on your house for failure to pay - brilliant!
Old 02-09-2024, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Well that certainly is a much more logical "punishment" than imposing monetary "fines" in this type of senior community. I'd even say as many as ten days of revoking the privilege of making advanced reservations would not be unreasonable. But the trouble with this type of thing is it would require an entire plan for "refereeing and reviewing individual cases; like a person who missed the tee time because they passed out due to blood sugar and were taken to ER, but after treatment and insulin adjustment, was perfectly fine to return to normal activities. Should that person loose his/her privilege or be fined ? What about the guy to runs to help a neighbor with an emergency ? Some might say "one offs", but in a community this large, IMO it could take full time employees to review and rule on all the situations that could arise ! Just bar offenders from the reservation system for a time, next "offense" automatically add 2 additional days, 3 offenses, 2 MORE days and so on. Highly unlikely an individual would have 3 or 4 legitimate "emergencies" in a month or two ? If there are any open times, offenders can just take a chance on showing up and finding one but blocked out of reservation system automatically for the prescribed "penalty" time.
By the time the "exceptions" are reviewed, the 7 or 10 day penalty will have long expired.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
This plan would disadvantage those with less money & advantage those with more money. Additionally, it would tend to advantage younger retirees, or almost retirees & disadvantage older retirees. Due to inflation generally younger retirees are collecting more social security & some almost retirees are still currently working. Yes, I know there are some 'rich' retirees, they would be advantaged in sentence 1.
Additionally younger retirees who might vote for a plan such as this, due to having more disposable income & less patience, would eventually be disadvantaged themselves, as their healthcare costs rise & their income no longer keeps up with inflation, as the fees imposed to today would surely rise in the future as all fees do.
I don't favor a "fine' either, but as to the reason posted, so what????
Some people can afford filet mignon, others hamburger
Some live in a mansion, some in a trailer
Some drive a Rolls Royce, others take the bus

What's the point? Turn our great country into another failed experiment in an "everybody equal" society?

Full disclosure---I don't have a mansion, eat a lot of hamburger and drive a Toyota
Old 02-09-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

It is not the system it is the golfer. If you can't play call on the day of tee time or cancel the day before if you know. Please don't involve more government style rules.

Tags
penalty, financial, time, tee, midnight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.