Financial penalty for missing exec tee time during high season?

View Poll Results: Do you support a financial penalty for missing executive tee time during high season?
YES 26 20.63%
NO 100 79.37%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2024, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It is not the system it is the golfer. If you can't play call on the day of tee time or cancel the day before if you know. Please don't involve more government style rules.
Of course. But I think the subject of this thread is what to do with those golfers that are habitual "no-shows"
Old 02-09-2024, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

I don't think a financial penalty would A) be implemented and B) do very little good if it were.

But...how about some inventiveness? Here are some ideas designed to kill two (or more) birds with one stone, so to speak. After "X" number of missed tee times in "X" amount of time:

1: Have the miscreant do "X" number of hours of Community Golf Service. A first offender might be issued a ball mark repair tool and sent out to repair ball marks on selected courses (walking, of course....no "rides" allowed). Recidivists? Up the ante. A #2 shovel and a wheelbarrow full of sand to repair tire marks on fairways made by negligent golfers. And so on. No more tee times until the Community Golf Service debt is paid in full, then the clock resets to zero. Of course, you could buy your way out...say $20 an hour for the assigned time of "service" issued.

2: Issue said miscreant a green shirt with a huge scarlet letter on the front and back denoting his/her sin, where he or she gets to stand (or sit) by the starter shack of his/her favorite course for a certain amount of time. The letter "A", of course, has already been taken, so that's out.

3: Post names of habitual offenders in VERY LARGE LETTERS on those message boards near the starter shack of the execs, where they remain posted for, say, six months. Should be red, of course.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
There’s a recent post from a starter, where 20 people did not show up for a tee time, times 40 executives, that’s 800 slots.

What if there was a financial penalty if you do not cancel by midnight the night before?
No need to determine if it’s $25 or $100. But the concept?
It may have been ONE executive course would not affect the remaining 39. Exaggerate much.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I don't think a financial penalty would A) be implemented and B) do very little good if it were.

But...how about some inventiveness? Here are some ideas designed to kill two (or more) birds with one stone, so to speak. After "X" number of missed tee times in "X" amount of time:

1: Have the miscreant do "X" number of hours of Community Golf Service. A first offender might be issued a ball mark repair tool and sent out to repair ball marks on selected courses (walking, of course....no "rides" allowed). Recidivists? Up the ante. A #2 shovel and a wheelbarrow full of sand to repair tire marks on fairways made by negligent golfers. And so on. No more tee times until the Community Golf Service debt is paid in full, then the clock resets to zero. Of course, you could buy your way out...say $20 an hour for the assigned time of "service" issued.

2: Issue said miscreant a green shirt with a huge scarlet letter on the front and back denoting his/her sin, where he or she gets to stand (or sit) by the starter shack of his/her favorite course for a certain amount of time. The letter "A", of course, has already been taken, so that's out.

3: Post names of habitual offenders in VERY LARGE LETTERS on those message boards near the starter shack of the execs, where they remain posted for, say, six months. Should be red, of course.

You'd have an "easier" time collecting a fine
Old 02-09-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Points for canceling t times on short notice during busy season should not expire in a week, they should last until June first, when the Villages has determined slow season officially begins. I addition, each subsequent time one cancels, the allotted number of cancellation points should grow exponentially. That would be a much stronger incentive to not book t times and easily bug out with little to no recourse.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:39 AM

Next time the offender plays, starter can pick any two clubs from the player's bag, and break them.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
But the concept?
Right after ToTV implements a financial penalty.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Points for canceling t times on short notice during busy season should not expire in a week, they should last until June first, when the Villages has determined slow season officially begins.
So if you miss once you are banned for months? Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I addition, each subsequent time one cancels, the allotted number of cancellation points should grow exponentially. That would be a much stronger incentive to not book t times and easily bug out with little to no recourse.
OTOH, this is an excellent idea.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
There’s a recent post from a starter, where 20 people did not show up for a tee time, times 40 executives, that’s 800 slots.

What if there was a financial penalty if you do not cancel by midnight the night before?
NO! Bet that day it was rainy and/or very cold and did not affect anyone.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
Next time the offender plays, starter can pick any two clubs from the player's bag, and break them.
That might help some golfers.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:36 AM
Default Missed Tee Times

It has become increasingly difficult to book a tee time for our foursome, which I blame on groups who put in blocks of tee times fully knowing that a portion of their group will not show up. I don't believe fining individuals is a workable solution for reasons too numerous to mention; however, a previous post mentioned suspension of privileges for a period of time, and I support this,

Thevillages.net could easily modify their website to maintain a count of an individual's missed tee times. If a player fails to show, or call in he/she receives three points. If they fail to show on their next date, then the points accumulate to six thus resulting in a predetermined suspension period, which would show up on the computers at the course check-in. "Sorry pal, but you can't play for the next seven, ten, two weeks, etc".

I believe there should be consequences for bad behavior. As my daddy once said " A significant emotional event changes behavior". At some point, people will get the word and stop their foolishness........perhaps.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't favor a "fine' either, but as to the reason posted, so what????
Some people can afford filet mignon, others hamburger
Some live in a mansion, some in a trailer
Some drive a Rolls Royce, others take the bus

What's the point? Turn our great country into another failed experiment in an "everybody equal" society?

Full disclosure---I don't have a mansion, eat a lot of hamburger and drive a Toyota
What you say is true. I can't dispute it. My point is that a financial penalty would discourage more of those with less disposable income, than those with more. The existing system discourages based on something TV golfers want regardless of financial status: tee times.

I think the current system should remain as it is. Equal opportunity discouragement to abuse the system.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Also would it be possible to have access to all open, cancelled, late tee times on the app? I have called Grey Fox and the phone just rings. Would not be very difficult to put in a few code lines.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Hope you never wake up sick on a golf day or develop a disorder that causes excessive pain in cold weather
Old 02-10-2024, 09:18 AM

To be clear, I am against no show, no call behaviour. I support a points system as a consequence. But I can't help but notice that if there is a no show ahead of me at the starter shack, I get to go early. Problem solved.

Tags
penalty, financial, time, tee, midnight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.