This is the future of golf

Old 01-26-2024, 05:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts
Default This is the future of golf

A lot of posts lately, about the scarcity of Tee Times and over-crowding of the golf courses.

As much as it pains me to say it, "executive type golf courses" for novice-recreational golf, is the future.

The future of "real golf" is right here:

International Competition Comes to a Simulator Near You

It won't happen over night, but I suspect in 15-20 years, building golf courses will be as obsolete as root beer & running boards.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
A lot of posts lately, about the scarcity of Tee Times and over-crowding of the golf courses.

As much as it pains me to say it, "executive type golf courses" for novice-recreational golf, is the future.

It won't happen over night, but I suspect in 15-20 years, building golf courses will be as obsolete as root beer & running boards.
Root beer is not obsolete! Running boards? Yeah, pretty much.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:

Sorry, I disagree. I’m a gamer and learned some of my flying on simulators. Golf is not very interesting as a video game, I am sorry, but it just isn’t. The beautiful golf course, the smell of the grass, the sound of the birds, walking up and down the hill, the comments of your buddies - can’t be simulated satisfactorily.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:

Screw that, it’s not golf. Much of golf is about being outdoors, breathing fresh air, compensating for the wind, smelling fresh cut grass, seeing wildlife, dealing with Mother Nature’s elements, reading the direction of the grasses growth on the greens during different times of the day and the suns angle, dressing appropriately for the weather conditions, getting some beautiful sun rays, etc….

The true essence of golf is not a sport that can be simulated in a video game. If that’s the future of the sport, hopefully it won’t happen until I’m no longer around to see it.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Folks have said that for 100 years....sorry, but you are wrong.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Folks have said that for 100 years....sorry, but you are wrong.

Tell that to the NEXTGolfTour, who's running $200,000 Tournaments, with a raft of Korn-Ferry players teeing it up, virtually.

Or Callaway Golf, who bought TopGolf, because they see the future.

Or Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy & the PGA Tour, who have started a "Simulator Golf League".

Obviously, none of the above have a clue about the future of golf.

They said simulators would never take over pilot instruction. When you're flying JetBlue and a newbie pilot lands that airplane, it's the very first time he's ever done it for real. First shot, loaded with passengers.

TV Residents surely don't fit the demographic profile, but it's coming.

Oliver just won $30,000.

Oliver Lilliedahl wins NEXT Golf Tour Season Two Opener - Articles - DP World Tour

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy's TGL announces league format, rules ahead of inaugural 2024 season - CBSSports.com

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-12-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Screw that, it’s not golf. Much of golf is about being outdoors, breathing fresh air, compensating for the wind, smelling fresh cut grass, seeing wildlife, dealing with Mother Nature’s elements, reading the direction of the grasses growth on the greens during different times of the day and the suns angle, dressing appropriately for the weather conditions, getting some beautiful sun rays, etc….

The true essence of golf is not a sport that can be simulated in a video game. If that’s the future of the sport, hopefully it won’t happen until I’m no longer around to see it.
Just one more step towards virtual golf.

Access Denied

Tags
golf, courses, future, happen, night

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.