Golf Ambassadors

Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Default Golf Ambassadors

Overall, the golf ambassadors do a nice job being "Village Ambassadors" which are no more than being glorified waterboys. There is no one on the courses making sure that the pace of play is adequate, people aren't dragging their spikes on the greens, raking traps etc. Today, we had to quit after 4 holes took 1hr 15 min. That means it would have taken us almost 3 hours to finish when we should be done in half that.

The foursome in front of us were playing off the gold tees and really needed to be playing the green tees, especially the 2 women in the group. They were not playing ready golf, taking up to 10 strokes on a hole and looking for their balls in the water instead of picking up. By the third hole, there were already 2 holes open in front of them. When I casually mentioned to the ambassador that the pace was too slow, he said it's slow all over and it's a nice day anyway.

Tee times are spaced 9 minutes apart and pace of play needs to be around 9 minutes or everyone behind a slow group suffers. I really like the ambassadors but they need to be given authority to tell people to pick up the pace, rake a trap or follow whatever rules the wonderful game of golf follows.

By the way, we're pretty decent golfers and were playing the golds because of the wind!!

Last edited by sadie44; 11-02-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: more info

Old 11-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would recommend that you play on the more difficult Level 4 courses. I believe they attract fewer new players so the pace of play should be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie44 View Post
Overall, the golf ambassadors do a nice job being "Village Ambassadors" which are no more than being glorified waterboys. There is no one on the courses making sure that the pace of play is adequate, people aren't dragging their spikes on the greens, raking traps etc. Today, we had to quit after 4 holes took 1hr 15 min. That means it would have taken us almost 3 hours to finish when we should be done in half that.

The foursome in front of us were playing off the gold tees and really needed to be playing the green tees, especially the 2 women in the group. They were not playing ready golf, taking up to 10 strokes on a hole and looking for their balls in the water instead of picking up. By the third hole, there were already 2 holes open in front of them. When I casually mentioned to the ambassador that the pace was too slow, he said it's slow all over and it's a nice day anyway.

Tee times are spaced 9 minutes apart and pace of play needs to be around 9 minutes or everyone behind a slow group suffers. I really like the ambassadors but they need to be given authority to tell people to pick up the pace, rake a trap or follow whatever rules the wonderful game of golf follows.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I would recommend that you play on the more difficult Level 4 courses. I believe they attract fewer new players so the pace of play should be better.
I have to both agree and disagree.
We were all new to golf. However, everyone should learn to pick up after double par and move on. While I am not advising rushing, to be taking 10 shots (or more) on a par 3 is ridiculous. People must learn they are not the only ones on the course.

Yes, have fun, but be cognizant of groups behind you.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Is this something unique to exec courses. I see the ambassadors speeding up play on championship courses all the time.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie44 View Post

By the way, we're pretty decent golfers and were playing the golds because of the wind!!
Your life will be much better if you learn to accept the executive courses for what they are.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Is this something unique to exec courses. I see the ambassadors speeding up play on championship courses all the time.
Yes.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Sage
Default Golf Ambassadors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Your life will be much better if you learn to accept the executive courses for what they are.
To a point, yes. But only to a point IMHO.

Even terrible beginner golfers can maintain a decent pace with minimal effort and no loss of fun.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
To a point, yes. But only to a point IMHO.

Even terrible beginner golfers can maintain a decent pace with minimal effort and no loss of fun.

I agree.

We will now read a bunch of posts from folks new to the game who will tell us, what's the rush, we are retired, we are no fun, etc. etc.

I do wish that our "Ambassadors" were more like the marshals or rangers we were always used to.

And there is no explaining keeping the pace of play unless you have played golf for years. And yes, we all were beginners, but I was taken well in hand and explained to how not to act on a golf course. You don't have to lose the fun to play the game in such a way that you are not slowing down the entire golf course for the entire day.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran member

Nothing will ever change no matter how much one complains. The championship courses are a different animal. We pay for those so they keep the pace of play at a more acceptable level. So I say again......

or........you can let it upset you and have a bad game.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Sage

If you're that bothered by the group in front going that slow talk to them directly, they may not be aware.

Rather than leave play ahead of them it's wide open

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012;1139***
If you're that bothered by the group in front going that slow talk to them directly, they may not be aware.

Rather than leave play ahead of them it's wide open

I agree . I would go around them and as I went by I would try to explain to them the etiquette of playing at a pace that would be fun for everyone.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

FAr too many golfers that are either new, uninformed or just do not care.

The next time I see anybody in front of us playing ready golf will be the first time.

Further testimony and annoying a can be.....unrepair ball marks on the greens....and not raking the sand traps.

Ready golf.....repair ballmarks on greens....rake sand traps.....
BASICS......should be drummed with signage and articles in all the home owner papers, clubs, newspapers, closing papers, etc.

I am ready to conclude the problem is too many do not care and think that is some one elses job.

Other than those three things I enjoy being out on the course as muchas possible.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The executive courses "are what they are". The only real recourse is to avoid the courses where beginners play. Sort of like skiing: if you want to avoid new skiers, head off to the black diamond runs. The ambassadors don't seem to put golfers "on the clock" and I really don't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
I have to both agree and disagree.
We were all new to golf. However, everyone should learn to pick up after double par and move on. While I am not advising rushing, to be taking 10 shots (or more) on a par 3 is ridiculous. People must learn they are not the only ones on the course.

Yes, have fun, but be cognizant of groups behind you.

Last edited by tuccillo; 11-02-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Sage

When is the last time anyone did not tee off on time?
This will tell you whether or not the system works with slow golfers.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Last week, Volusia, 20 mins late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
When is the last time anyone did not tee off on time?
This will tell you whether or not the system works with slow golfers.

Tags
ambassadors, golf, pace, playing, slow, holes, hole, minutes, tees, front, play, people, nice, group, mentioned, ambassador, casually, water, picking, open, balls, spaced, pick, authority, rake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.