Golf Ambassadors

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 PM

The worst thing that happen to golf is the score card
Go out hit the ball and have a great time and use your head
Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 PM

To condense the secret to speedy play in one sentence "Hurry up and hit your next bad shot."
Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 AM

My wise old dad said, "You must realize that there are more horses' [rear ends] in the world than there are horses!" That said, it is possible that the group in front of you isn't aware of the customary golf courtesy of "maintaining pace of play". At the first opportunity, politely explain to the group in front that unlike tennis in which no matter how good or bad you are, you reserve a court not for the length of the game/set/match but for a finite period of time...in golf your pace of play affects every group behind you.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by par_geo View Post
My wise old dad said, "You must realize that there are more horses' [rear ends] in the world than there are horses!" That said, it is possible that the group in front of you isn't aware of the customary golf courtesy of "maintaining pace of play". At the first opportunity, politely explain to the group in front that unlike tennis in which no matter how good or bad you are, you reserve a court not for the length of the game/set/match but for a finite period of time...in golf your pace of play affects every group behind you.
That would be for the ambassador to do.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
That would be for the ambassador to do.
I wasn't sure if he meant other golfers are supposed to be the authority figure or the Ambassador should be the authority figure. We agree the Ambassador is in control or should be in control.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I wasn't sure if he meant other golfers are supposed to be the authority figure or the Ambassador should be the authority figure. We agree the Ambassador is in control or should be in control.
I took it as a golfer to golfer conversation regarding pace of play, etiquette, etc. That can lead to bigger problems than pace of play. We agree for sure, a job for the ambassadors.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I took it as a golfer to golfer conversation regarding pace of play, etiquette, etc. That can lead to bigger problems than pace of play. We agree for sure, a job for the ambassadors.
I hate to turn every conversation into a money conversation but I will.

I was a marshal for a day. I quit. It wasn't worth it. I was a 23 yr old teacher marshaling for free golf. I approached a couple of golfers that day and they all snapped at me. They were older than me. They teed off late because everyone does on a public course because it's backed up. They spent a half days pay just to play. And they weren't playing up to their expectations.

On an exec course here the marshals are our peers and shouldn't be our water boys. We play for free as much as we want. We don't have hopes of making the senior tour. I walk and carry and play my best when I can walk up to the ball or the tee and hit it. If I can't play that way, I try to just enjoy the walk and the company of the group. But that's not golf.

I don't understand why the marshals can't control the pace. And I really resent anyone who gives any marshal any lip at all. I would support haveing their membership suspended and trust the good judgement of my peers. I might have a problem with a marshal telling me to pick it up if I just dropped $80 to play.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I hate to turn every conversation into a money conversation but I will.

I was a marshal for a day. I quit. It wasn't worth it. I was a 23 yr old teacher marshaling for free golf. I approached a couple of golfers that day and they all snapped at me. They were older than me. They teed off late because everyone does on a public course because it's backed up. They spent a half days pay just to play. And they weren't playing up to their expectations.

On an exec course here the marshals are our peers and shouldn't be our water boys. We play for free as much as we want. We don't have hopes of making the senior tour. I walk and carry and play my best when I can walk up to the ball or the tee and hit it. If I can't play that way, I try to just enjoy the walk and the company of the group. But that's not golf.

I don't understand why the marshals can't control the pace. And I really resent anyone who gives any marshal any lip at all. I would support haveing their membership suspended and trust the good judgement of my peers. I might have a problem with a marshal telling me to pick it up if I just dropped $80 to play.
So you're ok with slow play because you pay $80.00? Does that mean you could care less of the others who paid the same $80.00? Tolerance is expected on the Exec's because there are a bunch of players that are learning the game, a position all of us were in at some point in our lives. Champs are different.....we all have a bad hole or two and slow things down but we should be familiar enough with the courtesy of the game to catch up to those in front of us. If we don't have the ability to do that the Ambassador should intervene. If we still don't comply we should be asked to leave and suspended from play until we understand what speed of play means. For the most part, the majority understand it, but talking to Ambassadors the elite still exist and don't believe any rules apply to them.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So you're ok with slow play because you pay $80.00? Does that mean you could care less of the others who paid the same $80.00? Tolerance is expected on the Exec's because there are a bunch of players that are learning the game, a position all of us were in at some point in our lives. Champs are different.....we all have a bad hole or two and slow things down but we should be familiar enough with the courtesy of the game to catch up to those in front of us. If we don't have the ability to do that the Ambassador should intervene. If we still don't comply we should be asked to leave and suspended from play until we understand what speed of play means. For the most part, the majority understand it, but talking to Ambassadors the elite still exist and don't believe any rules apply to them.
you're right
Old 12-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

the logistics of trying to maintain a "reasonable" pace of play in TV must be incredibly complex. In a smaller private club setting with a few hundred members, sooner or later the really slow players will be approached by the pro, and other members who will get in their faces if they don't get the message after a polite conversation.
TV, with all of its courses, and thousands of players, there is an aspect of anonymity that allows less considerate folks to feel separated from the ill-will they foster.
I've visited TV twice, as guests of owners, and one of the things I was most impressed with was the opportunity to learn the game (I've played forever but my wife is a rank beginner) in an appropriate setting and time (par 3 course, in the late afternoon-evening hours)..

The approach I would recommend, sounds to me like the approach that the ambassadors are instructed to take: #1, assume the transgressors just don't know better, so without ruffling feathers, instruct them.
#2, if that doesn't work, or in the face of personal abuse, refer to a higher authority.
It sounds to me like those are in place, but there are just so many people playing so many courses, it is inevitable there will be rude, inconsiderate people.

To blame the ambassadors for slow play, is a bit like blaming the State Troopers for speeding. They can write the tickets, but they can't prevent people from driving too fast.
Closed Thread

Tags
ambassadors, golf, pace, playing, slow, holes, hole, minutes, tees, front, play, people, nice, group, mentioned, ambassador, casually, water, picking, open, balls, spaced, pick, authority, rake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.