golf basics for children beginners

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Location: Augusta, GA, West Germany, France, Aurora, Colorado, Lexington, Virginia, Cooper City, FL, Villages
Default golf basics for children beginners

Appreciate any tips, suggestions, recommendations for a question asked by my 12-year old granddaughter. I am not a golfer.

She asked if it was possible during her summer visit to get begin beginning golf lessons from a golf instructor in the area. Of course, this would entail rental of clubs appropriate to her age. It might be a worthwhile quest if she finds she likes it well-enough to use her summer visits to pursue learning and practicing. I want to encourage and support her. Way later, there's the question of where to play that wouldn't impede adult players on Village courses. Doubt there are area courses for young people unless it's connected with Charter School sports. I'm guessing it is adviseable to continue instruction and golf range practice until she is at a level ready to play on regular courses. I'm out of my depth on this subject, but I've learned this site/forum has a wealth of seasoned members on practically any subject.

Perhaps there are grandparents who have had a similar experience.

Thanks for any tips or even an instructor's contact info who works with children.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

This site has some good information.
http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...dGolfGuide.pdf
Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Location: Augusta, GA, West Germany, France, Aurora, Colorado, Lexington, Virginia, Cooper City, FL, Villages
Default good starting point

Thanks for the PDF brochure. It answers some initial questions, and confirms that private lessons are available and I've put in a call to the "Golf Academy" which conducts instructional programs for what they call, "junior golf".

Once I speak to a lesson instructor, I'm sure I'll get more details of how it works, lesson frequency, and costs.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Very young golfers.

Husband and I have played nine holes here with very young golfers (elevenish) and family members several times and were delighted with these fine youngsters. Good lessons and directions really are important.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Thanks..I'll post what I learned.��
Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Default what I learned about grandchildren and beginning golf.

Thanks due to posters graciegirl and bogie shooter for steering me to answers I need to introduce my 12-year old granddaughter to beginning golf while visiting this summer.

From the PDF link supplied by bogie golf in his reply, I confirmed that the Golf Academy provides instruction, and provides a number to call, (352) 259-8121.

George, a lesson instructor called me back and said there is a program called "grandparents-grandkids gol basics", or a similar phrase. The grandparent doesn't need to be a golfer, but must attend with the grandchild.

The G/A offers a series of three classes sequenced over three days, from 3-4 PM, back to back days, and held at the Sarasota Practice Facility on Morse Boulevard. Cost is a very affordable $15 each class, and everything needed is supplied.

First class deals with putting. Second class is on chipping. And, third class is full swing.

I didn't go beyond that but I expect more advanced classes are available if your grandchild shows interest and motivation after the instruction.

Graciegirl indicates good results from her experience with young golfers and family members, and George said children as young as 6 may enroll in instructional classes. These sessions are repeated most weeks in the summer, but book fast once school is out.

Hope this information helps others, proving again, the value of TOV and it's knowledgeable members.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, courses, asked, tips, summer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.