Golf club fitter

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Gold member
Default Golf club fitter

This has probably been discussed but couldn't find anything good so here goes.

I am seriously considering a new set of clubs. Would like to do it "right."
Want to get fitted and purchase what would work for me (if there is such a thing).

From those who have had this done who/where would you advise me to go for this? (Be nice).

Also curious - do you feel that this actually helped your game?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've fit hundreds of sets over my 35 year career in the golf business. I was a certified fitter for three different manufacturers.

My advice would be to find a PGA professional that has done a good number of fittings. It would also be nice, but not critical that he is certified by at least one or two different manufacturers. It's not necessary that he be certified by the companies whose product that you prefer. Once you understand the basics of fitting, you can fit for any company.

The fitting should be an interactive process. I always felt that my clients were fitting themselves and I was facilitating the process.

There are basically two ways to fit clubs. One if to fit clubs perfectly to your body, posture and swing. If you plan on working at your game and improving, you want a perfectly fit club that gives you correct feedback. In other words, a perfectly club fit will not perform well when you make a bad swing. If you make a perfect swing you'll get a perfect shot. If you make a slice swing the ball will slice.

The second way to fit is to fit clubs that offset your fault. If you are a recreational player that does not take lessons or hit balls at the range on a regular basis, you might want to consider a club that offsets your swing faults. In other words, a club can be adjusted so that when you make your normal every day swing that usually produces your usual slice it will reduce to eliminate the slice.

A good fitter should explain this to you and allow you to be a good part of the process.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Sage
Default This is from a freind

I have not used this person, but my friend loves his new irons. My friend is around a 10 handicap and I have seen quite an improvement in his iron striking.

It may be worth stopping by and chatting as an option. This person make irons fitted to your swing.

Golf at the next level........his name is John Ford, 209 S Hwy 441....
352-751-6767

I am told that John Ford is an industry know club maker, BUT I HAVE NEVER conformed that.

good luck!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Give Sandra Chester a call at Golfyourbest.com She's certified in fitting and an PGA Professional. Off the ranch - out on 301, just south of 466. Fabulous teacher too. Check out her website for more information.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

Try Steve Wresh at Continental Country Club, located on 44 towards Leesburg. His phone # is 352-748-3293.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.