golf club not returned

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Gold member
Default golf club not returned

I have been a resident of the Villages for 14 years. The first 7 of those years I worked as a starter at one of our championship courses. It was my experience that when a golfer mistakenly left a club on any of our courses it was always turned in to the starters shack. i am sorry to say this but how times have changed. My wife lost her club during one of those night golf events at Saddlebrook Golf course. Her name and address was on the shaft of the club. We can only assume that a maintenance or a fellow Villager found the club and decided to steal it, regardless of it having the owners name displayed.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I have been a resident of the Villages for 14 years. The first 7 of those years I worked as a starter at one of our championship courses. It was my experience that when a golfer mistakenly left a club on any of our courses it was always turned in to the starters shack. i am sorry to say this but how times have changed. My wife lost her club during one of those night golf events at Saddlebrook Golf course. Her name and address was on the shaft of the club. We can only assume that a maintenance or a fellow Villager found the club and decided to steal it, regardless of it having the owners name displayed.
Unfortunately, this is an easy conclusion to make, and certainly an unhappy one. But have you checked with the members of the group you played with? I have experienced this a few times - a playing partner picks up someone else's club and never notices that it's in his bag. It sometimes takes weeks to track down the club.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 PM

It's been my experience that when a lost club is found the person will usually pick it up, put it in the bag with the intent of turning it in at the end of the round, and then forgetting to do so. On both occasions that I know of, the club was turned in at a later date.

I'd say keep checking back at Saddlebrook or Glenview over the next few weeks to see if it's been turned in. I don't think the starters are too pro-active in calling the losing player.

Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I agree with the other posters and even if a person was dishonest, what would one club do for them?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

I was playing a couple weeks ago and someone in my group picked up MY club and put it in the bag of the person I was riding with. That's also a way to loose a club.

Also, have you looked at the Custom Club shop at Palmer. Alot of 'lost' clubs turn up there and become part of the used club BARREL.
I agree, you'd think you'd get a call if the club is tagged BUT .... no always.

Have a little faith . . it might still turn up
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Location: Currently in New Freedom PA. 2012, A Village of Sanibel resident

If you get it back, let us know. Hope it happens soon.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Default Lost and Found Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I lost my 8 iron several years ago. I ordered a new one and two weeks later I found the lost one in the bag of an old timer who played with us on a regualr basis. He had no idea it was in his bag.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Posted on this board in the last couple of months was a woman who had her entire golf bag and clubs stolen off her cart at Havana CC. One thing I learned from that is, don't park in areas that are adjacent to cars parking, just park where only golf carts can park.

Also, recently a woman at the Sarasota Driving Range had her purse stolen out of the basket on her cart while she hit balls. This was right before they moved the teeing area across the lake, so only people on a golf cart could access that area.

I've only been reading this board for a couple of years but I can recall a couple more stories of players having clubs stolen out of their bags while they dined along Hwy 466. Especially those all white Taylormade Ghost Drivers are a very hot item.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think this was a lost club.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.