Golf club recommendation needed

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Default Golf club recommendation needed

My wife and I recently (last week) moved into TV permanently (last Tuesday -- WOOT!). I played golf as a youth but have played maybe 3 rounds in the last 30 years+. My wife has NEVER played except for one 9 hole round about 3 years ago.

We want to take up golf and would appreciate any recommendations for clubs for two prospective beginners.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

If you ahve a set you can use you might want to use that for awhile. In the meantime look around. I got my clubs from Jim's golf Shop off 441. He fitted me and let me try them out. I am sure their are many people who do the same. Keep looking until you feel comfortable with your clubs. I know Arnold Palmer does this also but they have been a little pricey it seems to me. My friend went to Golf Liquidators on 466 in the Santa Fe plaza. She is happy. I tried some out there but then went online and got mine for 100.00 less. Mine are razor knockoffs. He also adjusted the spine (something) for me. He said that was inportant. I think they are called Bangs. Each person hits clubs differently.
In other words shop around.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Sage

Check out Dick's Sporting Goods - Every Season Starts At Dick's - Official Site. and look at their clubs. They have some excellent ladies and men's sets for very reasonable prices. Just for instance, I saw two ladies sets on there one for $99 and one for $119. I paid $145 for a Lady Hagan breast cancer set and if they still have those, they are excellent. Much cheaper than at the golf stores.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Gold member

Unfortunately can not speak for the places up there yet.
However, some places will let you take (say) a 5 or 6 iron from different manufacturers to a range to try out.

This will at least give you a feel for what the clubs are like.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM

I would recommend you buy some decent used clubs, put on some new grips (must do that) and start hitting some balls on the range and play the executive courses. Take some lessons from a PGA professional and develop a golf swing. I wouldn't recommend getting fitted for new clubs out of the gate. Your swing might change in the 1st few months as your skills develop and at that time you can get fitted for a set of clubs that should last you for years...

$0.02
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran member
Default absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
I would recommend you buy some decent used clubs, put on some new grips (must do that) and start hitting some balls on the range and play the executive courses. Take some lessons from a PGA professional and develop a golf swing. I wouldn't recommend getting fitted for new clubs out of the gate. Your swing might change in the 1st few months as your skills develop and at that time you can get fitted for a set of clubs that should last you for years...

$0.02
Don't make the same mistake a lot of us have.I've only been playing three years and now on my third set...Get a good used set,learn the basics, lessons and practice at the driving range, then get fitted..I went to Golf Galaxy,I think there is one in Orlando, asked to try a 7 iron of every club they sold...I went in there thinking I would get Callaways and they didn't even make the top three for my swing..Taylormade and Ping out performed all others and I went with Pings...My marital clubs, "till death do us part". lol
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

$0.02

I agree 100%.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:

$0.02
I buy into a good set of used clubs but before you ever go to the driving range or start playing the executive courses get some golf lessons from a PGA professional. A Professional will start you out with the proper grip and the correct way to swing your golf clubs. It will be the best money you will ever spend while playing golf.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Stay on TOTV and wait for people to sell really good clubs. There are a lot of us who have lost a love one and need to clean house.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Gold member

I visited a Golfsmith store in Austin, TX that had a driving range attached. They had a desk inside the store where you could check out clubs (large selection of new clubs) free and try them on the driving range. For me, if the club feels right and looks right, I can usually hit it well. Great way to try out a lot of different clubs until you find one you like. They also sold used clubs there. I believe there are Golfsmith stores in Orlando and Tampa. Check out their website for locations. I played for years with a used set of clubs. I promised myself that I would not buy a new fitted set until I broke into the 70s. That was incentive to improve. I now own a set of Taylormades that I bought new.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Sage

As I mentioned earlier, bought mine at Dick's sporting goods. They also have an indoor set-up so you can try out their clubs also. Found out I did better with the less expensive set than the brand name set.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Dicks and GG are both owned by Dicks. Unless you know exactly what you want and are willing to pay top dollar there are many other places to buy club more reasonably. Even their used clubs are over market price.
My last experience walking around GG is when a tall gentleman was looking at a set of irons and the salesman told him he LOOKED like he would need a 1" oversize since he was tall!!! Amazed I walked away and in the parking lot the gentleman approached and asked me what I thought. My answer was that you would need oversized clubs if you were swinging them from your forehead but you need to have your wrist to floor measured first. I gladly gave him the name of 2 professional clubbuilders that were qualified to help and answer questions.
There is so much misinformation out in the golf world it is unbelievable.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.