Golf course

Old 03-10-2024, 03:31 PM
Default Golf course

Had the ever been talk of TV designing, building, charging, and maintaining a tournament level good course? If they can attract a pga tournament, they may bring outsiders and vacationers to play and defer some costs to villagers.

Just a thought.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarter man View Post
Had the ever been talk of TV designing, building, charging, and maintaining a tournament level good course? If they can attract a pga tournament, they may bring outsiders and vacationers to play and defer some costs to villagers.

Just a thought.
Ah yes, outsiders & vacationers…….more short term rentals and amenity users.
Not to mention our infrastructure unable to handle all the additional traffic.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Just a thought.
Would need to maintain an additional 1500 extra lineal feet of golf course that will hardly be used, plus a 300 yard(at least) driving range. We only have 3 ranges to start with. Worse investment than LIV
Old 03-10-2024, 05:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

Just a thought.

Apparently you don't know much about the PGA Tour and how it works (or did work, before LIV ... now they don't even know how it works).

You have a better chance of playing in this year's Masters, than living to the day TV will build a PGA level golf course and host a PGA Tournament.

Tierra del sol has hosted a few LPGA events, including the Samsung World Championship of Women's Golf.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:

Just a thought.
Those that are in charge of such ideas rarely share their thoughts with the public until they have decided upon a course of action and wish to market it.
Whimsical ideas they share over snifters of brandy they keep to themselves.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

With all of the private houses so close to the courses I doubt it would be practical on any of the existing courses, it may be possible in the newer section with a dedicated course, but then there is all of the other infrastructure to consider, parking for example and all of the other necessities for thousands of people to attend a 1 or 2 time per year event. I cannot imagine the effect of the additional traffic. While an interesting idea I do not think this would be practical in this area.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

I lived about 5 miles south of Bethpage municipal golf course. As many golfers know bethpage hosted the US Open in the 2000s on their Black course.
Bethpage is a built up area. There would be no way they could handle that amount of traffic.

The organizers were smart. If you attended the open…you didnt go anywhere near the courses. They staged busse at all the surrounding malls. You parked your car and were driven to the event.

There were some people that wanted to drive there. Thankfully the smart people around the golf course figured out they could rent their driveways out for parking. They also set up coolers to sell drinks..lol..good old capialism
Old 03-11-2024, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Just a thought.
Perish the thought, kind sir.

We have PUH-LENT-Y Vacationers, and outsiders who want to play our courses. We are doin' JUST FINE the way we are. Many of us left behind high costs for Golf.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
With all of the private houses so close to the courses I doubt it would be practical on any of the existing courses, it may be possible in the newer section with a dedicated course, but then there is all of the other infrastructure to consider, parking for example and all of the other necessities for thousands of people to attend a 1 or 2 time per year event. I cannot imagine the effect of the additional traffic. While an interesting idea I do not think this would be practical in this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I lived about 5 miles south of Bethpage municipal golf course. As many golfers know bethpage hosted the US Open in the 2000s on their Black course.
Bethpage is a built up area. There would be no way they could handle that amount of traffic.

The organizers were smart. If you attended the open…you didnt go anywhere near the courses. They staged busse at all the surrounding malls. You parked your car and were driven to the event.

There were some people that wanted to drive there. Thankfully the smart people around the golf course figured out they could rent their driveways out for parking. They also set up coolers to sell drinks..lol..good old capialism
I think there are scheduling problems to start with. The players love PGA National and Copperhead at Innisbrook. Nothing is going to usurp the Players at TPC Sawgrass or Arnie's tournament, so there would have to be a 5th Florida tournament added.

As far as infrastructure goes, Bethpage is pretty bad and The Country Club worse. My grandmother lived 2-3 miles south of Bethpage and I grew up about 5 miles west. My nephew lives about 5 miles away as well, but they had to park at Jones Beach and take a bus.

Most golf course architects will talk clients out of building a 7700 PGA tour championship type course due to the extra construction and maintenance expense, coupled with the unlikely chance of attracting a new tournament there (unless Tiger is your emeritus pro)
Old 03-11-2024, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think there are scheduling problems to start with. The players love PGA National and Copperhead at Innisbrook. Nothing is going to usurp the Players at TPC Sawgrass or Arnie's tournament, so there would have to be a 5th Florida tournament added.

As far as infrastructure goes, Bethpage is pretty bad and The Country Club worse. My grandmother lived 2-3 miles south of Bethpage and I grew up about 5 miles west. My nephew lives about 5 miles away as well, but they had to park at Jones Beach and take a bus.

Most golf course architects will talk clients out of building a 7700 PGA tour championship type course due to the extra construction and maintenance expense, coupled with the unlikely chance of attracting a new tournament there (unless Tiger is your emeritus pro)
Thank you for mentioning The Country Club in Brookline. Hosted The Ryder Cup and the US Open. Granted Boston is a major city that can 'handle' most major events, TCC sits in one of the most exclusive, dense, high end neighborhoods in the country. Robert Kraft and Tom Brady to name a couple are abutters (the latter in a different era). To pull it off they took over an adjacent public course for parking and set up shuttle locations all around greater Boston. It still paralyzed the region. The damages associated with parking on areas not meant for that type of activity and compromised infrastructure in and around TV.... would be untold. Sure the PGA or LIV would do some sort of mitigation nut it would never be returned the way it was given. Leave to those communities that want it and can handle it.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Why would the USGA or PGA want to come to The Villages, when Orlando, with 1000x the hotel space and established courses is less than an hour away?
Old 03-11-2024, 04:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Thank you for mentioning The Country Club in Brookline. Hosted The Ryder Cup and the US Open. Granted Boston is a major city that can 'handle' most major events, TCC sits in one of the most exclusive, dense, high end neighborhoods in the country. Robert Kraft and Tom Brady to name a couple are abutters (the latter in a different era). To pull it off they took over an adjacent public course for parking and set up shuttle locations all around greater Boston. It still paralyzed the region. The damages associated with parking on areas not meant for that type of activity and compromised infrastructure in and around TV.... would be untold. Sure the PGA or LIV would do some sort of mitigation nut it would never be returned the way it was given. Leave to those communities that want it and can handle it.
For anyone who would like a brief description of what a major golf tournament requires from a logistical impact perspective, here's your answer: Traffic, Parking, Security Plans For U.S. Open Championship | Brookline, MA (It's a quick read, but fascinating to see what it takes to hold a major golf tournament, in a metro area).

Back in 2015, Arnold Palmer in his book "Guide to the Majors", recommended that they hold a PGA Championship at the club I belonged to and later worked for. Palmer's words were "I'd love to see those guys playing from 8325 yards". There were some discussions, but it was a hard "no" from the members and ownership. We had formerly looked at holding a PGA Championship back in the late 70's, but it means giving up your club for 3 months (we only had 1 course back then) and it didn't go anywhere.

They did hold LIV Boston at the club, but that was on the little course. The big course was/is under renovation by Coore-Crenshaw.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-11-2024 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
For anyone who would like a brief description of what a major golf tournament requires from a logistical impact perspective, here's your answer: Traffic, Parking, Security Plans For U.S. Open Championship | Brookline, MA (It's a quick read, but fascinating to see what it takes to hold a major golf tournament, in a metro area).

Back in 2015, Arnold Palmer in his book "Guide to the Majors", recommended that they hold a PGA Championship at the club I belonged to and later worked for. Palmer's words were "I'd love to see those guys playing from 8325 yards". There were some discussions, but it was a hard "no" from the members and ownership. We had formerly looked at holding a PGA Championship back in the late 70's, but it means giving up your course for 3 months (we only had 1 course back then) and it didn't go anywhere.

They did hold LIV Boston at the club, but that was on the little course. The big course was/is under renovation by Coore-Crenshaw.
Great course....The International
Old 03-11-2024, 07:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Great course....The International
The new course looks spectacular. I can't wait for the opening. It's a complete re-design. The already did over The Oaks and that came out great, but no match for the LIV guys. They killed it.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The new course looks spectacular. I can't wait for the opening. It's a complete re-design. The already did over The Oaks and that came out great, but no match for the LIV guys. They killed it.
Yeah with the exception of The Country Club, its like practice rounds for these guys everywhere else....even TPC Boston (Norton)

Tags
tournament, golf, bring, pga, vacationers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.