Golf course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT
Default Golf course conditions

I thought it might be interesting, informative, and helpful, for people to comment, positively or negatively, about the course they played that day, to let other people know the conditions of greens, fairways, bunkers, etc. as far as playability goes. The reason being is, that for different people, different conditions are more important than others. For me, for example, my priority is nice greens, over good fairways. Now, of course, would prefer everything to be pristine, but as we know, isn't, and can't always be that way, due to weather conditions, disease, etc. If people could come, and make a comment about where they played, and how conditions were, might really be helpful when it comes to deciding where we'd like to play the next few days. Any comments concerning people's interest in starting a permanent thread for this, or not, and suggestions to how it could be done in the easiest manner, would be welcome.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Dancing Thyme

I think its a great idea - I don't play golf but I agree with EVERYTHING Ronnie says!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In the last couple of weeks I have played Pelican and Truman and Hawkes Bay and Bogart. All of them had tremendous roll, the winds were always against me and you could use your putter from 20 feet off the green.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Eternal Member

Briarwood is in great shape with great greens,
Hawkes Bay is in real good shape with great greens.
Saddlebrook is in good shape but the greens are not too great. Pitted and some kind of growth on the greens. Not smooth.
Belmont is in great shape and has great greens.
El Santiago is in really good shape with great greens.
De La Vista is in really good shape with fast greens.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Taltarzac
Default Good idea RCT.

Like KathieI I do not golf but this information sounds like it will be useful.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Played Mallory on monday. The greens are starting to get better there, finally. Still bumpy and bare in a few spots, but better than they have been in at least a month. A couple bunkers still have too much sand in them, but I guess the answer to that may be to not hit it there!! Fairways were very hard and fast, as I am sure they are most places, due to the dry and cold conditions lately.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Default Course Conditions

Will be coming back to our home in Hadley in a few weeks. Plan on playing many of the courses and in the championship at Glenview. How are the conditions of the Championship courses. I am most concerned with the greens. Fast, slow, bumpy or great. I would appreciate your comments.

Don Miller
Hadley
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Courses I played in last week:

Churchill Greens: Good shape - tees and greens
Amberwood: Great shape - tees and greens
Walnut Grove: Great shape - tees and greens
Belmont: Good shape - tees and greens
Heron: Tees is bad shape - greens are so-so
Pelican: Tees are so-so - greens are good shape
Roosevelt: Tees are so-so - greens and surrounding areas are hard as a rock
Bacall: Good Shape - tees and greens
Briarwood: Great shape - tees and greens
Hawkes Bay: Good shape - tees and greens
Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Played Mallory Hill yesterday, Caroline and Virginia Trace. Great shape, fast hard fairways, and greens were in good shape. Life is good.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

What am I as a golfer to do with this information?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

It may help in deciding which courses you want to play. In my case it really doesn't help much because I'm a beginner and all courses are difficult.

Last edited by Halle; 03-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

this time of year you don't decide....you take what you get.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What am I as a golfer to do with this information?
Bogie - Even if you can't pick and choose the course it might still be nice to know the condition to let you pick HOW you play the course. Run off the tee, fly to the green, chip it in low, high etc. etc.

And don't you have some options on the CC courses? Or is that take it or leave it this time of year also?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Well, I actually haven't had much problem choosing a top three of where to play. Now, if you are picky about specific times, or want to only play with a particular foursome, then, I have heard, you have more difficulties. I play tuesday mens day a good bit, which makes it easy to choose your course, and format, seeing as the clubs rotate the format, and 5 or 6 clubs involved every week, so many choices there. I play one day a week, usually, with either 1,2,or 3 regulars. Now, the point system definitely comes into play there, depending on how much the other three have played. The other days, I just look and take what's available, as a single, over the next three days. I don't request a time when i am going to play alone, and there is almost always something available for a single.
Now, I had a thought about how to make this thread better, that is if enough people are interested in keeping it alive. I thought, if there was some way to have a template, that would have different categories, say greens, fairways, bunkers, etc., that would have some kind of rating system for each course, championship and executives. This way, could just come on here, and click what you played, and click on the ratings for the different categories, instead of having to type out everything every time. This is only an idea, of which I have no technical expertise of how it would, or could be incorporated, as I am not an expert on setting up stuff. I just know how to use the puter/internet. If anyone has any ideas, be my guest, or maybe we have to talk to admins, to see if something like this is possible.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlmiller View Post
Will be coming back to our home in Hadley in a few weeks. Plan on playing many of the courses and in the championship at Glenview. How are the conditions of the Championship courses. I am most concerned with the greens. Fast, slow, bumpy or great. I would appreciate your comments.

Don Miller
Hadley
Greens are pretty good, but the speed of course depends on how long it had been since they were cut and watered. I find the greens really challenging because they undulate. Not all that easy to read. (My stooping down isn't as good as it used to be. lol)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.