Golf Course Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunch View Post
Played Spruce Creek yesterday. Nice grass! Why am I paying for a Priority Membership?

Great question. The group I play Championship courses with weekly decided that this past winter we would play more off property courses due to TV course conditions and prices.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Played Spruce Creek yesterday. Nice grass! Why am I paying for a Priority Membership?
Out of curiosity, how much are their greens fees over there? At least the Villages greens fees will be dropping the first of the month. Many of them will be down to $22 for a priority member as opposed to the winter rate of $33 or $34. But, they will be aerating the greens, so we'll have to work around that. On the bright side, it is becoming easier to get tee times.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Payed 24.00 at Spruce Creek.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Our group has played "off campus" courses every Saturday for the past 3 months. During this time period we have played Spruce Creek several times and it has always been in better shape than all The Villages courses other than maybe Palmer. It's condition had deterioated some the last time we played but still well worth the price of green fees especially with them supplying the cart.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

I love playing on campus. I still get a kick out of driving in my own cart, bringing my own beer, not having to lift my clubs in and out of the car, and not having to drive to and from an off campus course.

I realize that part of this is my not-yet-retired status and not wanting to spend my weekend time driving to play golf. That being said, I think that will change in the future. The off campus values are good and some of the TV courses have deteriorated.

Unfortunately, I think there will always be a strong market for the TV courses as long as the playing conditions are acceptable. I think as we age that convenience will win out over quality of the fairways. JMO.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Gold member

I agree with Katezbox. Convience is most important to me and besides my golf game doesn't need pristine conditions to rack up the score ! Aerated greens may even help my putting !!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Payed 24.00 at Spruce Creek.
Thanks cunch.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Eternal Member

Played Lopez today and the course is in super condition. Greens nice and soft with good speed to them. Nice fast round in just over 4 hours.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Default Golf course conditions

I too played Nancy Lopez yesterday morning and agree with the previous poster.My husband played Glenview in the afternoon and said that course is in good conditon.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Default Mallory Hill

Played Caroline/Virginia today. I've seen sheep pastures in better shape. Horrid conditions. They have nerve charging full price for that product.

I realize we are having draught conditions, but the ponds are full of water. If they were empty I would believe they are doing what they could to preserve conditions. What are they saving the water for?

Every tee time is filled. Until Villagers vote with their feet there will be no incentive to improve conditions.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post
Played Caroline/Virginia today. I've seen sheep pastures in better shape. Horrid conditions. They have nerve charging full price for that product.

I realize we are having draught conditions, but the ponds are full of water. If they were empty I would believe they are doing what they could to preserve conditions. What are they saving the water for?

Every tee time is filled. Until Villagers vote with their feet there will be no incentive to improve conditions.
The selection of good playable courses inside The Villages is dwindling rapidly. I only know of three that are actually worth what they are charging at winter rates. To me , Lopez, Orange Blossom and Palmer are the only 3 I have an interest in playing until there is some improvement. I realize the rates are going down in a couple of days but that doesn't change the fact that the other courses need lots of work.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
The selection of good playable courses inside The Villages is dwindling rapidly. I only know of three that are actually worth what they are charging at winter rates. To me , Lopez, Orange Blossom and Palmer are the only 3 I have an interest in playing until there is some improvement. I realize the rates are going down in a couple of days but that doesn't change the fact that the other courses need lots of work.
schotzyb has it exactly right. Played OB this morning and it is still in good shape. Minor spotting on some greens....most in good shape.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Eternal Member

Finally played Palmer today (summer rates). It is everything all the other posters have raved about. Very, very nice to say the least from t box, fairway to the greens; all in terrific shape. Greens are fast so be prepared.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Played Hibiscus at Cane Garden yesterday and it was like playing on an empty field overgrown with weeds on the fairways - tufts of grass and very dry. The greens were in terrible condition, too. Very disappointing after waiting for May 1 to do championships again!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post

What ticks me off is we were driving by Mallory Sunday, and they were watering the big traffic circle plantings near the clubhouse for at least 3 hours. Water was pouring all over the street, being wasted. Yet I almost never see them watering Mallory or Cane. If water is so precious why aren't they putting it on the golf courses not on the road or watering the medians? Mallory and Cane are just atrocious. I've run into more and more people that are going outside The Villages to play, because of the horrible golf course condtions. As schotzyb said, OB, Lopez and Palmer are worth paying for at this point. Havana was doing pretty good, but it too is dry and hard, although at least it is mostly green. I haven't played Glenview in awhile, so can't comment. Does anyone know - have Tierra or Hacienda improved????
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.