Golf Course Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Schotzyb and Cabo35 - I agree with you on Cane. Played there a couple days ago, and the fairways were really spotty where the overseed hadn't fully come in. In addition the greens had been top-dressed and were painfully slow. Not impressed with that course. Played Havana a week or so ago and found it to be in beautiful shape. I played Lopez a couple days ago, and the course was in pretty nice shape as well. The greens were a tad on the slow side, but overall in nice condition. My one complaint about Lopez is that there is the occasional bunker that has a lot of little pebbles in it. Has anyone else encountered that? If you happen to catch one of the pebbles, it can throw your sand shot off. I know, I shouldn't be in there anyways, lol! Played OB last Sunday, and it was in nice shape. The fairways have a lot of grass and don't seem as hard and rolling as some of the other courses. AJBrown, I haven't played Palmer lately, but a friend did, and he agrees with your assessment. He called their greens "pristine".
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Eternal Member

Playing Lopez tomorrow, (Friday) morning. Glad to read that it is in pretty good shape. As for pet peeves on some conditions on golf courses that really irritate me are greens with standing water in them 3 days after the last rainfall. Surely this could be attended to in this amount of time.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Schotzyb and Cabo35 - I agree with you on Cane. Played there a couple days ago, and the fairways were really spotty where the overseed hadn't fully come in. In addition the greens had been top-dressed and were painfully slow. Not impressed with that course. .
Hearing the greens have been top dressed is a good sign to me. The greens looked stressed last time I was there on 1/21. They rolled OK, but they looked like there was an underlying issue. The fact that an action has been taken is a positive sign IMO. Time will tell.

Back to Palmer tomorrow

Tierra on Sunday, hoping it is better than I read as I love to play there especially on Sunday with no wave.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

AJ, I spoke with the head of golf operations last year when Orange Blossom was so bad, and I really did get a sense that he was committed to getting and keeping the courses in good shape. My conversation with him was very reassuring. I know a lot of people complained to him about OB, and I think that helped as well to keep them on their toes. With the tremendous amount of people playing this time of year, I'm sure they need to do some periodic maintenance, and perhaps with rain in the forecast they decided to topdress.

Anyways, enjoy Palmer!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Eternal Member

Played Lopez (Ashley, and Torri) and am happy to say that the course is very good condition, especially the greens, which were the best I have seen in The Villages or outside. No blotches on them and they rolled beautifully. Thumbs up to Lopez groundskeeper and crew.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Gold member
Smile

Played Nancy Lopez today....really good shape
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Eternal Member

Played Orange Blossom today;not as good of shape as about a week ago.Greens were extremely slow from not being cut due to wet conditions Was just starting to cut the fairways at 12 noon. Water being pumped from other courses to areas off the fairways which meant if you were out of the fairway, you were in water. Should be fine once the greens are cut and the excess water is gone.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Gold member

played Havana yesterday...in pretty good shape...greens got bumpy late in the day.Overall course is worth playing.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran member

Played Hacienda today. The rain seems to have helped course conditions a little although fairways had soft spots. Should dry out shortly. Greener than I remember from last time I played there. Greens were generally good but a little slow. Played the Palms to Oaks. All in all, a pleasant round. Should be getting better each day.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Eternal Member

Playing Cane Garden Friday. Hope the rain has helped soften the fairways and rough there.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
Played Hacienda today. The rain seems to have helped course conditions a little although fairways had soft spots. Should dry out shortly. Greener than I remember from last time I played there. Greens were generally good but a little slow. Played the Palms to Oaks. All in all, a pleasant round. Should be getting better each day.
Good to hear. I've been avoiding Hacienda for the last couple of months, but its always been one of my favorites.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Gold member

played Cane yesterday, fairways still spotty,greens a little slow. Still worth playing.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Orange Blossom 2/9

Greens perfect, as good as Palmer...Fairways, starting to transition, another month should be great....And the "ole boy" had another eagle...Sure that made conditions wonderful...giggle...BTW did you see in Village Sun, "ole boy" and his "double-eagle" article?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Greens perfect, as good as Palmer...Fairways, starting to transition, another month should be great....And the "ole boy" had another eagle...Sure that made conditions wonderful...giggle...BTW did you see in Village Sun, "ole boy" and his "double-eagle" article?
I missed the article, which day? I have played golf alot of years and never carded the elusive albatross. Congrats.....

I wonder, if a hole in one cost you at the bar, why is a double eagle free?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Eternal Member

Played Cane Garden today (Hibiscus & Jacaranda). Not much improvement to the fairways from the rain other than they have softened up some. Still extremely spotty with various types of grass. Greens on the other hand were absolutely great.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.