Golf Course Conditions II

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Default Golf Course Conditions II

When most people come to the thread on course conditions, they want to know about current conditions. I think 66 pages of past conditions, going back to 01/11/2011 is a little ridiculous. So lets start a new one.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Gold member

Great idea, maybe administrator will close the other old one.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Default Golf course conditions II

My group played Bonifay (Ft. Walton - Pensacola) yesterday. The course is in average Villages condition. The fairways are hard, lacking plush grass. At some tee boxes it is difficult to get the tee in the ground. Greens are in decent shape.Rough is somewhat rough. Pensacola is fun - more water and interesting hole layout. Pace of play was 4:20 - not bad. I hadn't played the course in months because of its horrible conditions - will I go back and play it again soon ?- probably not. Glenview and Nancy Lopez are in much better shape.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 AM

Whats up with these courses, ( I'm in Ohio) I thought with all the rain they would have bounced back from the dry spring conditions. What is the prognosis, do we expect them to be in good shape by fall?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Whats up with these courses, ( I'm in Ohio) I thought with all the rain they would have bounced back from the dry spring conditions. What is the prognosis, do we expect them to be in good shape by fall?
Tropical Storm Debby was in June, until Monday I don't remember any rain since then. Monday we had moderate showers through the evening and Tuesday we had a good downpour that lasted about 30 - 45 minutes. The weeks in between these storms we have a hot baking sun and they only water the courses once a week on this side of CR 466.

I've played Glenview twice in the past week because of this and will be playing Palmer today.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 AM

Lopez yesterday was a gem. Fairways like carpets and speedy greens. Glenview in great shape and execs above 466 are all good.

Almost daily rain has helped courses recover......
Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM

PLayed Mallory this past Tuesday as part of mens' day. Terrible shape. Particluarly Amelia. course should be closed. Probably take till spring before it inproves. Not until we vote with our feet will the managers do something to change this.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

I heard on the radio today that amberwood and a few others were closed "till further notice"...Any idea why? And as far as rain I'vbe had rain every day for 14 days straight, not continuous of course.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

At Cane Garden I hardly ever play Jacaranda, usually I play Alamanda to Hibiscus. With Hibiscus closed this week and with looking for something different, yesterday I played Jacaranda to Alamanda and both nines are in the best condition I've seen. I had quit playing Cane Garden in April because of the conditions and now we're playing it again tomorrow, Jacaranda to Alamanda. There are a couple of greens on Jacaranda that still has a little sand left from aerification, but overall those two nines are the best I've seen on the southside with the exception of course of Palmer.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post
PLayed Mallory this past Tuesday as part of mens' day. Terrible shape. Particluarly Amelia. course should be closed. Probably take till spring before it inproves. Not until we vote with our feet will the managers do something to change this.
I'm interested in the specifics of your rating of "terrible". Fairways? Greens? Tees? Rough?

I played the Virgina/Amelia rotation this AM. I noticed some weed invasion on some greens and spots where weeds have been killed off, leaving bare areas. The rough is still recovering from the months it could not be watered at all. The fairways seemed OK although there are still some thin spots, most noticeably on #6 of Amelia. There is a drainage problem on the 2nd fairway on Amelia. I think I filled about 50 unfilled divots and repaired a bunch of ball marks, which is another problem.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
I heard on the radio today that amberwood and a few others were closed "till further notice"...Any idea why? And as far as rain I'vbe had rain every day for 14 days straight, not continuous of course.

Amberwood and Oakleigh were supposed to be closed to lower the water.
The forecasted rain would be too much for the courses per the radio announcement.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeputt View Post
Lopez yesterday was a gem. Fairways like carpets and speedy greens. Glenview in great shape and execs above 466 are all good.

Almost daily rain has helped courses recover......
Played Lopez and Caine this week. Both in fine conditioin as Caine may one helluva turnaround
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Played 9 holes at Havana yesterday - Kenya. Greens were pretty good, but on the slow side. Fairways were quite wet in spots due to the rain we've had this week. The fairways are not plush though. Not a good cushion of grass to hit off of. I'd classify it as average Villages condition, not as nice as some other courses.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Played Hibiscus at Cane Garden today. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money to play here - the greens are horrendous. At least 3 of them are covered in sand - I suspect the greens mower blades were raised, so they were incredibly slow. The other greens were thatchy and long, again very slow. The fairways are in decent shape, finally, but the greens are terrible. I don't understand why, after all the nice growing conditions we've had. I played Bonifay (Destin) last Friday and that course was in good shape, greens were fine.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Gold member

Played Glenview on Friday (Fox Run and Stirrup Cup). The course was in fine shape, but the greens, recently dressed, were like putting in a sand trap. Pretty much the same at Palmer last Friday. Tip: Allow for a LOT less break in your putts on the sand!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.